Re: G'day from Australia

@sig230

Oh mate, I'm a mere peasant tinkerer, nothing like the standard of work there. That's artwork.
I do hope to get there eventually.

I had been making very basic blades, like the one I posted, by careful stock removal, but I recently decided to get serious.
I built a 2 burner gas forge and have been teaching myself by trial and error, lots of reading and lots of ewe-toob, to forge from scratch. Lots of failures but enough success to sell 3 pig stabbers and have orders for 2 more. I did my bit for economic stimulus and bought a 2hp 82" belt grinder and a bandsaw to speed things along as well.
I like to recycle where possible but mystery steel can be problematic.
One failure was a chef knife I made from a leaf spring.
Unfortunately it had some microscopic stress fractures that only showed after final quenching and tempering.
There were a couple of barely visible lines, thinner than a hair, suspecting what they were I gave it a sharp rap against the work bench and it broke into 2 big pieces and 1 small chip. About 14hrs work gone in a flash, but lesson learned, only new steel from now on.
If I hadn't caught them it would have failed for whomever bought it, not good for building a rep.
Another lesson was a more serious one.
I got hold of some hydraulic ram shafts which are tool steel that's heavily chromed.
Unbeknownst to me, chrome when heated in a forge, gives off chromium oxide gas.

If you have ever welded galvanized steel and got a dose of that, multiply that a few dozen times and add a throat and nose full of broken glass. Another lesson.

I didn't end up getting to the shed after all, I was making a bino check of the warrens visible from the house and saw a fox prowling in daylight.
Alas the wind had changed by the time I had worked my way into a vantage, he either smelled or heard me and disappeared, so I decided to wait there for the rabbits to get over his presence and get careless. I only got 2 before it was too dark, but 2 rabbits is a good enough consolation prize.

Gaznazdiak wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:21 am @YankeeTarheel
Hi there,
One of the things that I am finding hardest to grasp with this pandemic is what's happening in your neck of the woods, the fact that it hit you so hard and so fast is staggering, even from this distance, having it just across the river must be daunting.
The footage from Hart Island was very sobering, but according to those on the Right(I really wish that word didn't also mean correct in English) it was just propaganda to keep everyone locked down.
On a lighter note, our CSIRO has 2 possible vaccines in animal testing and there are quite a few more possibilities in other countries, so fingers crossed.
https://australiascience.tv/csiro-begin ... -vaccines/
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41573-020-00073-5

Mate, I would take the bushfires, Taipans, Black, Brown and Tiger snakes, Funnel web spiders, Great White sharks, Irukandji, Box Jellyfish and what seems at times like half the world's supply of flies over the Orange One any day of the week.
It's been pretty fuckin' terrifying! Our little town of 30,000 has 268 cases and 26 deaths! We haven't been near anyone in over 3 weeks. Northeastern New Jersey and South West Connecticut are all part of the New York City metro area. The city has 8.5 million people but the metro area is nearly 20 million. Our state's governor is working his ass off trying to get it under control, but we still have nearly 65,000 cases and 2,500 death--about a 3.7% fatality rate.

Nobody comes in our house and EVERY delivery is sprayed with a dilute bleach liquid. Contents are sprayed or washed as well. NOTHING is assumed safe until it's been dis-infected.

And the Orange Blob, Duh Furor keeps making things worse, forcing states in a cage match against each other to get PPE and equipment, allowing gougers to ramp up prices...and if there is a "winner" he doesn't like...he JUST may have a federal agency sweep in and "re-allocate" the supplies--stealing them, putting lives at risk. He's even had them go into hospitals and steal their supplies saying "they weren't a critical need".

He's turning the USA into a fucking banana republic, where his thralls steal stuff claiming hospitals were "hoarding". And in just 44 days has managed to get 23,000 people killed from this virus. Now he's about the fire the one official, an epidemiologist who has been there for over 35 years, solely because the guy is telling the truth.

I've occasionally fought brush fires. Scary as shit. One was even set. Idiots do it to drive the wild pigs (not in NJ, of course!)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I love this: "You can tell an honest politician, they stay bought." Very true.

And, I cannot think of one person who underestimates a Howa rifle. Great rifles.

Finally, every liberal here in Georgia has a soft spot for Jimmy Carter. He still builds houses for the poor and loves his wife.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

@YankeeTarheel

That's some scary numbers man.
The nearest town to me is about 25,000 with so far only 10 cases and no deaths🤞
Thankfully, fast action on border closures and, with a few exceptions, wide compliance with the new normal of distancing etc have kept it from running away from us, with a total of 6,359 cases and 61 deaths.
We do have a supply of dickheads though, I heard this morning that someone who had tested positive was fined 3 times in 3 days over Easter for breaking quarantine. I wouldn't fine them, I'd cage them for 6 months, perhaps that would get through the complacency.

I'm extremely lucky in that I'm safe out here, no problems with social distancing or being on my own.
I've spent 99% of the last 15 years completely alone since bastard cancer took my best friend far too soon.
I spend a couple of hours in town every 2 or 3 weeks for supplies and that's enough for me.
That is actually the only real way I have been affected, shopping, I normally buy ~3 weeks supply of groceries, but because of the irrational panic hoarding by people living a 5 minute stroll from the shop, strict limits have had to be put on staples.
I wash everything with methylated spirits, but there has been a rush on it once people realized it was far cheaper and more effective than hand wash.

On the fires, we have some serious problems coming on that front. Over some years there has been pressure from various entities with various agendas to limit fuel reduction burns. This is now exacerbated by the acceleration of warming meaning that the window for safe burning is getting shorter every year.
The loss of wildlife this year was horrific, for just one example, it's estimated that we may have lost at least 70% of Koala populations.
A lot of the flora here has evolved to use fire, some actually need their seeds to be exposed to it to germinate but fires were so bad this year that even big old trees that shrug off a normal fire were killed by it, destroying the habitat for those animals that survived.
Most of our fire fighters are volunteers, who do it at their own expense. They spent months at it this year and when it was suggested to the government that they should be compensated they flippantly brushed it off saying that they were there because they wanted to be and that compensation would damage the "volunteer ethos". Bastards.

@K9s

I should have been more specific about the Howas, anyone I know of who has owned one loves them.
I have heard some with far more expensive Tikkas or Sakos bagging them, probably secretly squirming with envy at their performance.

The current incumbent couldn't be a bigger contrast to Jimmy, eh?

@subrosa
Mate I'm overflowing with contempt for the way things are going and being a bit of a hermit, it builds up.

The L1A1, I am right with you there.
If I could have any of the multitude of firearms banned here it would be that in a heartbeat.

I fell in love with them when I was issued mine in the 70s. The SLR as it was known here is a brilliant piece of engineering.
I remember being astounded that I could repeatedly hit the 600m targets on the SMR(static mechanical range) during basics, with a PEEP sight.

I reckon it would be a magic pig rifle, but anything semiautomatic is anathema to the ban everything crowd here. I heard they are even trying to ban straight pull actions now, it took ages for the Adler shotguns to get approval.

The military appearance rules are some of the most ludicrous restrictions here.
I don't know if the paradox still exists or if it has been resolved, but at one stage it was legal for a dealer to sell the Colt M2012, it was legal to buy one, but due to the preposterous appearince regulations they were being confiscated.
You guys have Trump, we have Draconian gun laws, but there is thankfully a time limit on The Donald, our gun laws seem to be here to stay :thumbdown:

Gaznazdiak wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:22 pm @YankeeTarheel

That's some scary numbers man.
The nearest town to me is about 25,000 with so far only 10 cases and no deaths🤞
Thankfully, fast action on border closures and, with a few exceptions, wide compliance with the new normal of distancing etc have kept it from running away from us, with a total of 6,359 cases and 61 deaths.
We do have a supply of dickheads though, I heard this morning that someone who had tested positive was fined 3 times in 3 days over Easter for breaking quarantine. I wouldn't fine them, I'd cage them for 6 months, perhaps that would get through the complacency.

I'm extremely lucky in that I'm safe out here, no problems with social distancing or being on my own.
I've spent 99% of the last 15 years completely alone since bastard cancer took my best friend far too soon.
I spend a couple of hours in town every 2 or 3 weeks for supplies and that's enough for me.
That is actually the only real way I have been affected, shopping, I normally buy ~3 weeks supply of groceries, but because of the irrational panic hoarding by people living a 5 minute stroll from the shop, strict limits have had to be put on staples.
I wash everything with methylated spirits, but there has been a rush on it once people realized it was far cheaper and more effective than hand wash.

On the fires, we have some serious problems coming on that front. Over some years there has been pressure from various entities with various agendas to limit fuel reduction burns. This is now exacerbated by the acceleration of warming meaning that the window for safe burning is getting shorter every year.
The loss of wildlife this year was horrific, for just one example, it's estimated that we may have lost at least 70% of Koala populations.
A lot of the flora here has evolved to use fire, some actually need their seeds to be exposed to it to germinate but fires were so bad this year that even big old trees that shrug off a normal fire were killed by it, destroying the habitat for those animals that survived.
Most of our fire fighters are volunteers, who do it at their own expense. They spent months at it this year and when it was suggested to the government that they should be compensated they flippantly brushed it off saying that they were there because they wanted to be and that compensation would damage the "volunteer ethos". Bastards.
That's hard, living alone. My wife and our youngest, 15, are living isolated, but together. BTW, if you have bleach, 2 tablespoons of 5% bleach in a quart of water is a super-cheap and effective dis-disinfectant...as cheap as it gets and nothing kills the virus better. Not sure how many ML is a table spoon--I think it's 30ml. A quart is 946ml and change...I have 10% -- Swimming pool Liquid chlorine but it's the same stuff, only twice as concentrated. Of course it may cause some colors to run but...better than being sick. Even the mail (post to you) gets sprayed.

Sadly, this is our new normal. I WISH I had a place I could learn to shoot out to 600m...here, there are only indoor ranges and 50 yards is the max, plus damned indoor lighting. I only shot rifles occasionally as a kid. It wasn't until the Orange Menace was elected that we decided we better arm up.--3 pistols, 4 rifles:

H-K VP9 LE in 9mm
Sig P320 RX (with the red dot) compact in 9mm (Plus I have the sub-c conversion kit)
Ruger 1771 revolver, .357 Magnum /.38 special...7 rounds, stainless, 4.5" barrel.

Beretta Cx4 Storm in 9mm, uses Beretta 92fs mags
Kel-Tec Sub 2000, Gen 2, in 9mm, also uses Beretta 92fs mags, but I have adapter to use Sig P320 mags
1979 JM Marlin 1894 in .357 mag / .38 special--cowboy gun! My favorite of all of them.
Windham Hunter: an AR-10 in .308 winchester with laminated wood furniture...doesn't look like a "scary black assault weapon" but it's no different than any other AR-10--a super-nice shooter.

In New Jersey we have some weird laws. We were dropped from 15 round mags to 10 rounds in 2018. No semi-auto rifle can have a collapsible stock, no threaded barrel (but hand guns can have them), no suppressors or flash arresters, but certain muzzle breaks are OK, as long as they cannot be removed.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

There you go, all cocky with myself for using methylated spirits, and I have a container granulated of pool chlorine in the shed, never even considered it, duh. Thanks mate.

That's a nice collection and yeah the Marlin, that would be my favourite as well.
I've had an evil little voice in my head for a while now telling me I can't really get by without a lever action, I find the Henry Golden Boy almost inappropriately atractive.
I'd also love a 45/70, just because.

I meant to add the video below to my previous reply, this is what the incredible people who protect us from bushfire take on, I don't know about the US, but they are mostly unpaid volunteers here.

https://youtu.be/lUs6iUpa4U4

PS @lurker
If I was allowed a pistol, it would be a 1911👍
Fidelis ad mortem

lurker wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:10 am
Gaznazdiak wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:04 am If I was allowed a pistol, it would be a 1911👍
did i hear someone say "1911"?
c961911.jpg
A 1911 and a Broomstick!
Add a P08 and I'd be in a state of bliss.

I had replicas of the Colt and the Luger when I was a kid, but alas they became dangerous by legislation and I'm not even allowed a realistic toy like a replica.

I'm a child of the 50s and 60s, and while I'm also a tech lover, I seriously miss the world I grew up in.
I haven't seen a car with any character since the 60s.
A couple that stir me:
1948 FX Holden
7758576212_21134fff03_k.jpg
1949 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
images (17).jpeg
1957 Chevy
images (18).jpeg
Fidelis ad mortem

Gaznazdiak wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:04 am There you go, all cocky with myself for using methylated spirits, and I have a container granulated of pool chlorine in the shed, never even considered it, duh. Thanks mate.

That's a nice collection and yeah the Marlin, that would be my favourite as well.
I've had an evil little voice in my head for a while now telling me I can't really get by without a lever action, I find the Henry Golden Boy almost inappropriately atractive.
I'd also love a 45/70, just because.

I meant to add the video below to my previous reply, this is what the incredible people who protect us from bushfire take on, I don't know about the US, but they are mostly unpaid volunteers here.

https://youtu.be/lUs6iUpa4U4

PS @lurker
If I was allowed a pistol, it would be a 1911👍
Whatever you do, don't mix different kinds of chlorine. Once dissolved in the pool their fine but mixing di-chor or tri-chlor with LC, or any of them with Cal-Hypo and the results can be...explosive. If I know what kind of dry chlorine you've got I may be able to find the math for the solution...LC (Liquid Chlorine) and Bleach are easy, though. All both are is Sodium Hypochlorite in brine (Salt is NaCl after all).

Remember with most of the Henrys you must load the magazine from the muzzle end. Marlin has had some problems with the newer 1894s though I gather they have cleared them up. Mine is older, no cross-link safety and has the JM mark--and everyone in our NJ branch of the LGC loves shooting it when we could get together. Very smooth action.

K9s wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:40 pm YT, why no 92FS in that list? It would just make sense.
I'm in NJ. Each hand gun requires approval by the local PD and I have to be able to justify each. I'd LOVE to have a 92fs...but with the VP9, the P320, and the 1771, I simply cannot justify another 9mm semi. I would put a 9mm revolver ahead of a 92fs, but only for practical reasons, not preferences.

When I was looking for my first pistol, the VP9 and PPQ were tied for first, and the 92fs was next, third. (I hadn't shot the HK P30 at the time--it MIGHT have pushed the 92fs to fourth...but only maybe).

blackcarbine wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:16 pm
Gaznazdiak wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:11 am I haven't seen a car with any character since the 60s.
I’ve never loved a car more than this one, only regret of my life is giving her up...

My mom had a '67 Pontiac LeMans convertible, fire-engine red with a black interior and top. It had a '69 GTO 400 cubic inch engine, and, while I didn't learn to drive that car--it was GORGEOUS and fast! She even let me take it up to college spring of my freshman year to load up and bring my stuff home. Oh! What a CAR! My brother, the real car guy, BEGGED he not to sell without talking to him first....which she did, anyway....He never got over it...and I don't blame him. I LOVED driving that car!

These days, I have a 2007 BMW 335i clamshell duel turbo with a 6 speed manual. Every time I think of selling it, I drive it, and just can't sell it!

Howdy Buck
Thanks buddy.
Wish we had your rainfall here, that would make things easier.

The rabbits were a serious problem a few years back.
4 years ago was the worst, I shot 641 of the hole digging little mofos.
Then we spread the Calicivirus, the year after I got 4, the year after that I got 14, but the recent drought seems to have killed the virus and they have exploded again.

Yeah, regenerative is the way.
I just finished planting for winter, a mixture of barley, oats, chicory, tillage radishes, 2 strains of clover and lucerne, Alfalfa in US parlance.
The barley, oats and lucerne are for grazing, the clover is for nitrogen concentration and the tubers that chicory and radish produce are excellent carbon sinks.
The soil we're working on was dead grey clay a few years back, an ancient shallow lake bottom, now it's prime grazing land.

When I say "we" I don't mean it's my property, I wish.
I am a long term tenant with a sweetheart deal on the rent.
I look after the house, murder the ferals and do the planting and in return I get to live here for a nominal rent.

Works for me, I got splattered by a wayward semi in '96 and can't work full time anymore.
Sometimes you can be lucky and unlucky at the same time.
Every day on the sunny side of the dirt is a good one, eh?
:beer2:
Last edited by Gaznazdiak on Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fidelis ad mortem

blackcarbine wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:16 pm
Gaznazdiak wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:11 am I haven't seen a car with any character since the 60s.
I’ve never loved a car more than this one, only regret of my life is giving her up...

That's beautiful.
It's truly a shame that design has had to bow to fuel efficiency and the safety of those pesky pedestrians.

My first car was a 62 Beetle, 6 volt electrics, a starter that worked if it was in a good mood, but would run for a week on the smell of an oily rag.
I still have a soft spot for old Beetles.
Fidelis ad mortem