New Member Thread

Moderators: Inquisitor, admin, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Sable
Helpful Contributor

New Member Thread

#1 Post by Sable » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:30 pm

Apparently I have to start a new member thread. Not sure why the individual is more important than the message, but hey rules are rules right:

Politics: Moderate
Gun experience: Personally have several semi auto AR's, AK's, and handguns. I like and own hunting rifles as well. Shotguns are also in my collection.
Military experience: Ex army, deployed to IRAQ in 2003.
Gun control views: There is no such thing as reasonable gun control IMO.
Reason to join: Although I am not a liberal, I certainly do not subscribe to the nationalist decorum that has replaced the conservative movement. Curious about the liberal perspective on the 2nd amendment. I do like the attempt to shift the political paradigm.

I am not sure what else would be relevant. Ask and I will tell.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: New Member Thread

#2 Post by YankeeTarheel » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:41 pm

Where are you? What do you currently shoot?
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." -- Mark Twain
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

Sable
Helpful Contributor

#3 Post by Sable » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:42 pm

Indiana. I shoot everything. I like particularly shooting clays.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#4 Post by YankeeTarheel » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:50 pm

Yeah, but watcha own to shoot?
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

#5 Post by highdesert » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:58 pm

:welcome:
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Sable
Helpful Contributor

#6 Post by Sable » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:02 pm

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:50 pm
Yeah, but watcha own to shoot?
Too much to list....personal fav: Reming 870, cz 75 for pistol shooting, have a personal liking to shooting 7.62x39 out of my saiga AK, but admittedly shoot my AR's much better. Although I prefer the AK, I am more of an AR guy due to the logistical expediency on replacement parts, ease to shoot, and very reasonable prices.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by lurker » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:13 pm

Sable wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:30 pm
Not sure why the individual is more important than the message
interesting question.
what message do you propose to offer us?
:wacko:

Sable
Helpful Contributor

#8 Post by Sable » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:24 pm

lurker wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:13 pm
Sable wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:30 pm
Not sure why the individual is more important than the message
interesting question.
what message do you propose to offer us?
That was meant to apply to any discussion on the forum to specific topic, not in general. It was meant to emphasize that people will regard what a poster offers in text about a subject matter v their individual background. Plus, it was not meant exclusively to me, but everyone. If I read a post offered by someone, I could care less about their background because what matters to me more is the message being offered.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by K9s » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:24 pm

Welcome, Sable!

Do you shoot x39 out of an AR platform or just AK? I sure love the Saiga AK, too. The AR platform is just so inexpensive these days, it is hard to resist, though.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#10 Post by lurker » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:29 pm

know what? not worth it. enjoy.

Sable
Helpful Contributor

#11 Post by Sable » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:40 pm

K9s wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:24 pm
Welcome, Sable!

Do you shoot x39 out of an AR platform or just AK? I sure love the Saiga AK, too. The AR platform is just so inexpensive these days, it is hard to resist, though.
No that is blasphemy lol.I am not sold on the reliability out of AR. I know there are testimonies suggesting otherwise, but I am more of a traditionalist. The AK was specifically design to shoot steel case ammo. I know there are brass x39 out there, but I just keep it simple and shoot x39 out of an AK and 5.56/223 out of an AR. I have not jumped on the 300 blk bandwagon yet, mostly because of my practice of trying to standardize ammo to few select calibers.
Last edited by Sable on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

#12 Post by Marlene » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:56 pm

What kind of person gets invited to engage more fully in conversation and takes it as being yelled at about "the rules"? Sorry if you're not up to being a person with us.

bajajoaquin
Been around awhile

#13 Post by bajajoaquin » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:09 am

This forum is unusual in the strong insistence in having an intro thread. It comes on a bit strong.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#14 Post by lurker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:10 am

patience. i think mr. sable came here to lay some learnin' on us.

Sable
Helpful Contributor

#15 Post by Sable » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:21 am

Marlene wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:56 pm
What kind of person gets invited to engage more fully in conversation and takes it as being yelled at about "the rules"? Sorry if you're not up to being a person with us.
That is your perception that you are trying to transcend on to mine. It is not typical based on my experience from being in different forums. I still followed suit. I think we can move on now..
Last edited by Sable on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sable
Helpful Contributor

#16 Post by Sable » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:25 am

lurker wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:10 am
patience. i think mr. sable came here to lay some learnin' on us.
Thinking or obfuscating?

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

#17 Post by Marlene » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:38 am

ok.

fish or fur?

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#18 Post by K9s » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:45 am

Geez. Let's move on to the REAL point of contention: 7.62x39 vs 300 BLK

Never understood the need for 300 for shooting paper targets on a range when x39 exists.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#19 Post by lurker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:54 am

Sable wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:21 am
Marlene wrote:
That is your perception that you are trying to transcend on to mine. It is not typical based on my experience from being in different forums. I still followed suit. I think we can move on now..
thank you very much for telling us what we can and cannot do, noob. we liberals need to be told these things, since we care so much about individuals. the projection and authoritarian tone really help. might want to try to be less obvious about it in the future, though.

Sable
Helpful Contributor

#20 Post by Sable » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:26 am

lurker wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:54 am
Sable wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:21 am
Marlene wrote:
thank you very much for telling us what we can and cannot do, noob. we liberals need to be told these things, since we care so much about individuals. the projection and authoritarian tone really help. might want to try to be less obvious about it in the future, though.
Ok Lurch.... :sorry: if I offended your tone-o-meter. No need to search and be on the look out for the fire starters I see.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#21 Post by lurker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:05 am

lurch. i rather like that. :)
i know exactly where the fire starters are.
two can play this name-calling game, say-bull.
Last edited by lurker on Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#22 Post by YankeeTarheel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 am

It's very simple, Sable:

We snowflake libs and progs like a certain decorum and try to get noobs to respect that. Lots of people here know lots more about guns than I do, and I'll bet some of them even know more than you do, too.

So when you come here and first tell everyone that the ONLY handguns worth shooting are a Glock, Beretta 92, or a Sig 226, you implied you don't respect other people's choices and decisions. Doesn't come across well.

All 3 were on my list when I was shopping for my first gun, with the 92 as my #3 choice and the Glock 19 as #4, but they weren't #1, which I've never regretted.

Sable
Helpful Contributor

#23 Post by Sable » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:42 am

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 am
It's very simple, Sable:

We snowflake libs and progs like a certain decorum and try to get noobs to respect that. Lots of people here know lots more about guns than I do, and I'll bet some of them even know more than you do, too.

So when you come here and first tell everyone that the ONLY handguns worth shooting are a Glock, Beretta 92, or a Sig 226, you implied you don't respect other people's choices and decisions. Doesn't come across well.

All 3 were on my list when I was shopping for my first gun, with the 92 as my #3 choice and the Glock 19 as #4, but they weren't #1, which I've never regretted.
That is your interpretation. Is there certain decorum for mis representing what other people say? Here is my statement.

I don't see how trying to avoid a manufacturer that does not support the NRA is a sound plan. Personally, when it comes to decisions regarding self defense all that stuff is out the window IMO. Not all guns are equal and if this is your first firearm, I strongly recommend a pistol. You can look into getting a rifle later. That is just my opinion anyways. The top three pistols that have a reputation for shooting alot of lead down range without catastrophic failure (Generally speaking anyways) are Glocks, Beretta 92's, and Sig 226. If you noticed all three firearms have significant usage in both military and law enforcement. That is for a reason. Not saying there are no other guns out there that might be able to match the durability of these firearms, but one would be hard pressed to find one.

I never said that those are the only handguns worth shooting. I said it would be difficult to find other options that can match the track record of these specific three have. This information is not my own. It has been documented and tested. These three pistols stand out in recorded round count that surpasses their competitors. We can expand on this discussion in the appropriate thread if you like.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#24 Post by YankeeTarheel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:06 am

Repeating what you already wrote in bold doesn't change anything. And, no, I'm not interested in continuing a discussion with you at this time. On any topic.

shinzen
Site Admin

#25 Post by shinzen » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:23 am

bajajoaquin wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:09 am
This forum is unusual in the strong insistence in having an intro thread. It comes on a bit strong.
The intro thread is simply because we've had a plethora of trolls, largely who come in and jump immediately into the political threads rather than doing any research or honestly engaging. As you can imagine, folks on both the right and the left can start frothing at the mouth about the fact that we exist in the first place, and that we're legit with our viewpoints and not just trolls ourselves or deluded conservatives or liberals depending on which side of the aisle you happen to hail from.