I have a question about gun ownership

Moderators: Inquisitor, admin, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Eris

Re: I have a question about gun ownership

#26 Post by Eris » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:21 pm

Hey! If you want a good source of gun reviews and just general gun information, there's a guy on Youtube who goes by Hikock45. He doesn't talk the right wing crap and has always made a point of encrouaging people to be welcoming to all gun owners, liberal, conservative, gay, straight, or whatever. He did accept sponsorship from the NRA for many years, but he recently renounced that, and he never let politics get into his videos in the first place anyway. He's cool, and a good source of info.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB3so ... eLpD-yTtfg
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Hiker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#27 Post by Hiker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:54 pm

First of all, welcome to the Liberal Gun Club (LGC). As you can see, this is the kind of place where if you ask 25 people a question, you will get 40 different answers. So I am not going to tell you what gun to buy. In the long run, you have to make that decision yourself. So let me give you some advice on making a decision on which gun(s) to start with.

First of all, buy a small notebook. People are going to be telling you all kinds of things and making recommendation. Write them down!!! Also make notes of every gun you try out. Was it too big or too small for your hand, did it feel like you were shaking hands with a friend, or did it feel like you were holding a brick.

Second, leave your ego/machismo at home. You are not here to impress the 'guys' with how tough you are, or how cool you are. You're here to learn about guns, and eventually, about defending your life.

Third, slow down. Look around. You do not have to make a decision right away about which gun to buy. I can tell you I am the perfect example of 'fools rush in!' When I was getting started I was like an eight year old girl being tempted by a new Barbie doll. If I saw a gun, and I had enough money, I bought it. I wasted hundreds and hundreds of dollars on junk guns, or guns that were just not right for me.

Fourth, take advantage of meeting with other LGC members in your area. Go to the range with them, they may let you shoot their guns. (always be ready to buy your own ammo.) Remember that notebook. Write down your impressions of each gun, note the brand, model, and caliber of each gun. Try to shoot 25 different guns before you make any decision about which gun to buy first. Spend some money making a good decision, so you don't waste money like I did.

Fifth, learn the 4 rules of gun safety. Memorize them, and be able to philosophize about them. So here is your first lesson.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

nigel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#28 Post by nigel » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 am

Hiker wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:54 pm
If I saw a gun, and I had enough money, I bought it. I wasted hundreds and hundreds of dollars on junk guns, or guns that were just not right for me.
Don't take a blind bit of notice of hiker, she is way too sensible. You'll spend all this time, effort and energy homing in on the perfect gun for you. And then when you've got it, you'll look sideways at all the other ones that look interesting, and buy them out of curiosity anyway. You might as well just jump in and start the feeding frenzy right away.
ImageImageImage

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#29 Post by K9s » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 am

The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

offensivename
Verified Member
Verified Member

#30 Post by offensivename » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:35 am

Hiker wrote:
Fourth, take advantage of meeting with other LGC members in your area. Go to the range with them, they may let you shoot their guns. (always be ready to buy your own ammo.) Remember that notebook. Write down your impressions of each gun, note the brand, model, and caliber of each gun. Try to shoot 25 different guns before you make any decision about which gun to buy first. Spend some money making a good decision, so you don't waste money like I did.
I'd watch out. If you go out to an Oregon range day you'd never be able to decide on which of our great toys are the best.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#31 Post by lurker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:03 am

nigel wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 am
Hiker wrote:
If I saw a gun, and I had enough money, I bought it. I wasted hundreds and hundreds of dollars on junk guns, or guns that were just not right for me.
Don't take a blind bit of notice of hiker, she is way too sensible. You'll spend all this time, effort and energy homing in on the perfect gun for you. And then when you've got it, you'll look sideways at all the other ones that look interesting, and buy them out of curiosity anyway. You might as well just jump in and start the feeding frenzy right away.
she's talking about me. i started with a 1911 and a garand, pretty much the perfect handgun and rifle for me. i could have stopped there, but nooooo, i went off on a quest for the perfect (for me) handgun, and now i have 8 or 10 of them, none more perfect than when i started. is it so bad to have 8 or 10 handguns? no, i don't think so, they're small, they don't take up much room. the next one will be perfect, i'm sure of it! the rifles are a different thing entirely. i'm a collector-each one has a purpose and a place, each one exemplifying some feature or technology as it developed. shotguns, you ask? i only own 1 shotgun. one is enough. :beer:
:wacko:

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#32 Post by CDFingers » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:51 am

The lad has only posted twice, so I hope he comes back for more. Beyond saying "shooting stuff is fun," I want to suggest that when anyone mentions "The Four Rules" that the person posts the rules. We all should have them memorized so we can just type them out or even recite them in the aisle of the Local Gun Store.

A gun is always loaded
Point your gun only at something you wish to destroy
Keep your finger off the trigger until pointed at your target
Know your target and what's behind it

CDFingers
ImageImage
The wolf came in, I got my cards. We sat down for a game.
Cut the deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#33 Post by lurker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:08 am

:bananadance: four rules, four rules, four rules :bananadance:
i'm a little out of sorts today. we have an executive who is advocating abrogating the constitution, and if the courts and congress don't stop him, then the republic is done. i need more ammo, stocks are low.
:wacko:

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#34 Post by YankeeTarheel » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:35 am

nigel wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 am
Hiker wrote:
Ignore Nigel! :roflmao: :beer2:

On the theory that every cloud has a silver lining, living in a restrictive state makes you think very, very carefully about what you want to buy. In NJ, it's impossible to "impulse buy" a hand gun because each purchase requires a purchase permit and you can only buy one every 30 days....plus Who Knows how it will be before your local police chief signs off on your permit!

So I rented everything that I THOUGHT I might like and found some surprises. Try everything. Try striker fired semi-autos, hammer-fired semis, 1911s, single action and double action revolvers and see what you're comfortable with. Make notes. Even as a rank beginner some pistols will be comfortable, some won't. Don't be intimidated by anyone saying "You oughta getta (Glock/CZ/Smith&Wesson/1911/etc.)" You need to get what suits YOU!

I was stunned to find I really detested the M&P and the CZ75. The first just was difficult, for me, to shoot, that latter double-fired twice on me and I felt I couldn't hit a barn standing inside. That doesn't make them bad guns, just wrong for me. Others here love them. I was also surprised that I liked the Glock 17 and 19s far more than I expected, and would have been OK with them...but I liked others better.
I ended up with an Hechler & Koch VP9 9mm with tritium night sights as my first hand gun and I have not regretted it at all. I would have been just as happy with a Walther PPQ but the HK came with more for the money--night sights, 3 magazines, and interchangeable grips and back plates.

It was much harder to test rifles and I bought the 3 I have HOPING I'd like them...which I do. 2 shoot 9mm, and the third is a "cowboy gun" lever action shooting .357 magnum and .38 special.
What you buy has to suit YOU or you'll be swapping and swapping.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." -- Mark Twain
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#35 Post by CDFingers » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:48 am

Consider a gun safe, too. Protect your investment.

CDFingers
ImageImage

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#36 Post by featureless » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 am

CDFingers wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:48 am
Yup.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#37 Post by YankeeTarheel » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:15 am

CDFingers wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:48 am

CDFingers
Absolutely!
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." -- Mark Twain
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

Stiff
Loquacious

#38 Post by Stiff » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am

The answer for first self defense gun is always Glock 19.

All kidding aside, my advice echoes everyone else's.
- Get training
- Rent lots of guns
- Hang out with LGC members in your area

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#39 Post by featureless » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:49 am

Stiff wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am
The answer for first self defense gun is always Glock 19.
Perfect choice. If you like the ergonomics of a 2x4. ;)

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

#40 Post by Marlene » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:02 pm

For someone not interested in guns, I’d say a handgun is a bad choice. Long guns are so much easier to use.

Eris

#41 Post by Eris » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Marlene wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:02 pm
For someone not interested in guns, I’d say a handgun is a bad choice. Long guns are so much easier to use.
That's how I feel. I'm really glad I started with a rifle instead of a handgun.
88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#42 Post by Bucolic » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:16 pm

Eris wrote:
Marlene wrote:
^ This!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neverthless, she persisted.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#43 Post by featureless » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Bucolic wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:16 pm
Eris wrote:
Marlene wrote:
^ This!!
Ya'll gotta catch up. I said this on the first page. :lol:

But really, it bears repeating. Rifles are inherently easier to use. If you're not interested in guns much, the skill of using a rifle is less perishable than a handgun (I still can't shoot those little fuckers well, adequate, but not well). Since you're in Oregon, you have the option of just about any rifle platform. I'll again recommend something in .223 or 5.56 (practically the same thing). You're allowed 30 round magazines (double check, not intimately familiar with Portland laws) so you can have 30 rounds loaded up without needing to change magazines (also a perishable skill). Rifles are far easier to aim. Rifles have the benefit of being useful at close range (yes, inside of a home, that's why the military and police use them) as well as longer distances if shit every really did hit the fan. And rifles provide far more "stopping power". As icky is that is to think about, part of the decision to use a gun in self defense is ending the threat (that doesn't necessarily mean kill, just end). The fewer shots to do that, the better, for a multitude of reasons.

You can currently purchase an AR-15 kit for less than $400 if someone would help you build it (and I'm sure someone would). You can purchase a built S&W AR15 for around $500 and have a lifetime warranty and a gun you know will work well. Yeah, they're black, ugly and made out to be the devil, but they work. If your intent is self defense in the home or civil chaos and don't intend to train much, it's a hard platform to beat. So is the Mini-14 for more money but a better looking gun and one not commonly viewed as an "assault weapon" (though the dems are doing their upmost best!).

I will discourage you from a shotgun as a novice user. They have considerably more recoil, pump actions aren't as easy to cycle as the movies would have us believe, semi-autos aren't always reliable, they are a bitch to reload and typically only hold 3-6 rounds. They have a place in defensive use, but not as a primary, in my opinion. And yes, you do have to aim a shotgun to hit something. Just ask the clays I've missed. :)

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

#44 Post by senorgrand » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:07 pm

there is another problem with shotguns...finding a range that allows you to practice with them.

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

#45 Post by senorgrand » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:28 pm

We may have scared (or scarred) our fledgling member away, but this is turning into a good "noob" thread.

To that end, I have been shooting pistols for a few years and (other than rimfire), I don't find them that enjoyable, so they tend to get little range time (whereas my revolvers see lots of play time). I can understand why a beginner would be off-put by something like a Glock 19 as a first gun.

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#46 Post by K9s » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:33 pm

senorgrand wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:07 pm
there is another problem with shotguns...finding a range that allows you to practice with them.
That was my biggest issue. I love to shoot shotguns, but am only allowed to use slugs. 12 GA slug shooting is not a good idea for new shooters. Unless....

The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#47 Post by Bucolic » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:42 pm

I NEED some of those! I could seed my neighbor’s meadow.
Neverthless, she persisted.

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

#48 Post by Marlene » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Omg!!!

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#49 Post by CDFingers » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:28 pm

"But officer, I was planting flowers."

CDFingers
ImageImage

nigel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#50 Post by nigel » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:42 pm

Appleseed?
ImageImageImage