Intro

Hello everyone,

I am the owner and editor of a South African firearm rights website (www.paratus.info), and I live in Cape Town (in South Africa, obviously). Regarding my personal firearms collection, I own an FN FAL, a couple of Daniel Defense AR15s, various handguns, and a Winchester 1300.

I used to do quite a lot of IPSC, but have since migrated to shooting under the South African Tactical Shooting Association - embracing shooting elements more closely resembling training and tactics rather than pure sport. Although it does retain a very strong competitive element.

I am economically an unapologetic capitalist, and socially libertarian (although my anti-authoritarianism borders on anarchism most days).

Pleased to meet you all!

Re: Intro

:welcome:
again.
how did you find us?as you can imagine, there are people here who will disagree with your positions on economic and social policy, some strongly. i disagree but not so strongly because economic theory has never been my thing. but i tend toward a blended system, because ideal systems tend to break down in reality, and human nature being what it is, greed and cupidity occasionally require some restraint. but i very strongly advocate treating everyone as equals with respect to race, religion, gender, etc. apartheid was wrong, slavery in the US was wrong, segregation was wrong, and there's still lots of inequality here. but we're working on it, in fits and starts, sometimes well-meaning but wrong-headed. but we're working on it.
Last edited by lurker on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I don't know if you're our most distant member but you probably are in the running!
My wife and I visited Capetown for a wedding in the December just before the World Cup, and it was spectacular! Such a beautiful place! We did the touristy things--Table Mountain, the lighthouse at the Cape, the waterfront, and a wonderful open-air dirt-floored restaurant, complete with a band.
In came a troupe of tall, leggy beauties, of various ethnicities, all stumbling in their stilleto heels on the dirt! Turned out it was the Miss World Pageant contestants, also being held in Capetown.

Unfortunately, the marriage didn't last but the couple each found new partners and are happy.

Ironically, I never developed a taste for the wines--too dry for me--but, Oh! the brandy! I brought back 3 bottles, all different brands and enjoyed every drop! I still have the empty KWV bottle!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:39 am :welcome:

I don't know if you're our most distant member but you probably are in the running!
My wife and I visited Capetown for a wedding in the December just before the World Cup, and it was spectacular! Such a beautiful place! We did the touristy things--Table Mountain, the lighthouse at the Cape, the waterfront, and a wonderful open-air dirt-floored restaurant, complete with a band.
In came a troupe of tall, leggy beauties, of various ethnicities, all stumbling in their stilleto heels on the dirt! Turned out it was the Miss World Pageant contestants, also being held in Capetown.

Unfortunately, the marriage didn't last but the couple each found new partners and are happy.

Ironically, I never developed a taste for the wines--too dry for me--but, Oh! the brandy! I brought back 3 bottles, all different brands and enjoyed every drop! I still have the empty KWV bottle!
Excellent! If you visit this side again please let me know. I will show you the stuff the tourists don’t usually go to.

I have family that emigrated to Meridian Mississippi way back in 1997, so I am overdue a visit on that side too.

Paratus85 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:46 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:39 am :welcome:

Excellent! If you visit this side again please let me know. I will show you the stuff the tourists don’t usually go to.

I have family that emigrated to Meridian Mississippi way back in 1997, so I am overdue a visit on that side too.
Sounds good! The bride, a Capetown native, couldn't spend too much time with us--wedding preps, but the groom did. It is one HELL of a long trip! Americans don't realize just how BIG South Africa is, and that from Jo'burg to Capetown is a 2 hour flight! Then 14 hours to New York!

I just WISH you all exported the brandy! Took 25 to 30 years for Belgium to finally start exporting Trappist Ale to the states...and I waited for it! :drunklep: :drunklep: :drunklep:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Your back and forth with Marlene in another thread regarding your view that the Boers were mostly friends with the native peoples and how the *real* oppression didn’t start until the British showed up promises to be a lively one.
I’ll refrain from the usual welcome.

Paratus85 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:37 am I saw it listed as a referrer to my site, and became curious :) And now here I am.
That was my post. It was an interesting joke/satire post that brought me to your site. Welcome!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt