Hello from Wyoming

I've been ambivalent about my participation before, so this isn't my first user account-- but I'm paying for this one, so I'll probably be a little more committed to it.

My name's Viktyr. I live in Wyoming. I'm a lifelong gun owner and gun rights activist who has gone from radical Libertarian to moderate Democrat to someone both more liberal and more progressive than the Democratic Party will tolerate amongst its ranks; in theory, I identify with the Pirate Party Movement and the Pirate Party USA, but in practice I find myself splitting my tickets between the least self-destructive Libertarians and the least authoritarian Democrats. I tried doing my part to help my party spread out in Middle America, but I found the task was not compatible with my mental health. I am beyond sick to death of agreeing with members of minority groups when they say that sizable portions of our population want to exterminate them, and then being called a fucking Nazi when I sugggest they might want to defend themselves. I am sick of the vast majority of the American people being politically more interested in burning their neighbor's house down than in building their own, but I've given up any last trace of hope in changing them.

I say that... but my main purpose in posting here is trying to find like-minded souls willing to appeal to the major Gun Rights Activism organizations and convincing them to start reaching out to young progressives-- actually making the preservation of our gun rights their top priority instead of the transparent promotion of Culture War fascism. This would include getting serious about root-cause mitigation instead of waving it as a red flag whenever gun control comes up and then actively resisting it.

Outside of my politics, my interests are speculative fiction (I'm a fantasy author), physical fitness and martial arts (a theoretical interest until I regain my mobility), and various forms of recreational gaming-- I design tabletop roleplaying games to accompany my fiction, and I'm designing an online multiplayer text-based game.
Last edited by ViktyrGehrig on Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Hello from Wyoming

there's a restaurant near where i live, and it's convenient to go there for breakfast biscuits or a morning cup of coffee or tea, and there, there meets a bunch of old farts (much like myself) more or less at random, sometimes two or three, sometimes as many as a dozen, and there are some dyed-in-the-wool conservatives there and a couple of liberals too. we call them the "breakfast club".
so about a week ago i was in there, the conservatives were going on about the stupid liberals and i walked over to them and gave them each a liberal gun club sticker (it's a thing) and just sat down to eat, not a word exchanged, and after a couple of seconds letting that sink in i swear i heard the distinct sound of minds blowing.
and the really odd thing is, now they come over and greet me. i think i earned their respect for just quietly standing up to them. lots of ways to approach a problem.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:25 am lots of room for interesting discussion there, but let's start with :welcome:
what do you like to shoot (apart from fascists)?
To tell you the truth, I don't particularly enjoy shooting. It's a duty I wish I upheld a little better, for proficiency's sake.

I carry a Ruger P-89. I want to have a second carry pistol, probably a .38, and a battle rifle with all-wood furniture.

as someone here likes to say. "shooting stuff is fun". in my case it requires a blend of acceptance, realistic expectations, and a desire to improve at the skill. i just recently noticed that homemade ammo can be MUCH more accurate than store-bought, which can be a real morale and enthusiasm boost. we do have a reloading section here. but mostly, if you approach it with enough lightness it's just good clean fun.

i dimly recall seeing your handle here before, so it's welcome back

battle rifle, hmmm.
with wood, you say? semi or bolt? (you really can't do much better than a garand).
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Welcome from Lexington KY. You sound very interesting. I look forward to reading more of your posts!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

ViktyrGehrig wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:59 am
CDFingers wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:04 am Welcome, Vik. Another story writer here.
What do you write?
Funny you should ask. I'm an old fart, yet my current project with a friend of mine is a series of anime books around a quest myth in a multi dimensional universe.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

:welcome: Viktyr!

Sorry I didn't respond to your post sooner. I'm the current President of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Liberal Gun Club that covers Wyoming and the other mountain states. I believe I've seen you around the forum before a few years ago...but I may be wrong.

Anyway, as a dues-paying member in our region, I will add you to our mailing list, to our sub-forum here. I will also pass your contact information on to our area representative for Wyoming. If you are on Facebook, you can also request access to our Facebook page.

We will be conducting officer elections soon and you will be notified via email to submit nominations and to cast your votes. If you have any questions, you can email the chapter at rockymountainlgc@gmail.com.

Doug Cramer, President
Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Liberal Gun Club