Re: sure are a lot of spammers

Eris wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:11 pm
sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:52 pm
lurker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 am so far as i know there's no requirement for an intro, but if you're going to claim credentials and involve yourself in controversial topics i'd like to know more about who you claim to be. it would help to understand the poster's perspective.

i believe some of what we're seeing is evidence that the measures you've taken are working. some of these iffy logins are frustrated attempts to place spammy sigs and website links. you're forcing them to actually post, which hopefully costs them more time and money.
There’s a sticky on it.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10745
I’d say it’s between highly recommend, highly advised and mandatory.
Another way to look at it. If you manage to get into an argument or express a controversial opinion or start criticizing forum member comments in your first few posts. I will look for your intro.
It doesn't say it's mandatory, so as far as I'm concerned it isn't. We shouldn't be pouncing on new people for not posting an intro thread unless we actually change the rules.

We can certainly encourage people to post an intro, but please, let's be polite about it. Ask them to do so, don't demand it. It's like the old saying: you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
I see that pinned post as highly recommend. Like I said, if one starts an argument you can expect reminders. I’d prefer if a mod reminded people, but I’m more than happy to when a person starts out by being an ass. Being an ass is the number one way to get my attention.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

lurker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 am
It doesn't say it's mandatory, so as far as I'm concerned it isn't. We shouldn't be pouncing on new people for not posting an intro thread unless we actually change the rules.
We can certainly encourage people to post an intro, but please, let's be polite about it. Ask them to do so, don't demand it. It's like the old saying: you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
we asked the individual nicely twice and then he hijacked someone else's intro thread and pretty much said that it was the forum's fault that he couldn't read or follow directions. too difficult to look for the new thread link in the intro post section. ok, it's not that obvious but not a good way to win friends and influence people. acting like a preteen. i wonder, is this misperception on my part, or am i being scammed?
i struggled with this. on the one hand we might have a new member who is honestly having issues with the way the forum works(us older guys do this occasionally), and on the other hand it might be someone being dishonest about who they are and why they're here. doesn't matter. ultimately, they'll reveal themselves.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:19 pm
lurker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 am
we asked the individual nicely twice and then he hijacked someone else's intro thread and pretty much said that it was the forum's fault that he couldn't read or follow directions. too difficult to look for the new thread link in the intro post section. ok, it's not that obvious but not a good way to win friends and influence people. acting like a preteen. i wonder, is this misperception on my part, or am i being scammed?
i struggled with this. on the one hand we might have a new member who is honestly having issues with the way the forum works(us older guys do this occasionally), and on the other hand it might be someone being dishonest about who they are and why they're here. doesn't matter. ultimately, they'll reveal themselves.
I am willing to give that newbie the benefit of the doubt. Forums can be confusing your first time (if you are over 50). I didn't catch on to everything at first.

OTOH, it could be just a ruse. I think we will find out a lot more about these new users as time goes on. Just watch their timelines and posts around political subjects.

I post a lot of political and non-firearms threads here because I really have few other outlets, but I do post firearms questions and pics. I am still waiting for a lot of these new users to post something firearms related.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

just wanted to add that because "i don't want to play", i can't see everything. if i'm logged in, i cant see some of the sub-fora, and if i log out i cant use search or see members-only areas.
if a new member does something spammish in an area i can't see, someone else must catch them.

eelj wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:56 pm
K9s wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:53 pm X-Ray screening systems and armor? I am sure that is legit. Who in this forum doesn't wear a suit of armor while carrying a portable x-ray machine?
When I was a kid I ordered a pair of x ray glasses from the back of a comic book, they didn't work.
what, you were hoping to see nekkid people and all you saw was their skeletons? :w00t:

:welcome: :rofl:
no, this is not where you post this. since your post is relevant i'm not going to call it spam.
but first,
we like it (not required but we like ) if you'll back up one level and create your own intro thread, tell us about yourself, why you're here, what you shoot, what beer you prefer, how many pets you have, on and on.
second,
we have separate fora for ammo, pistol and rifle and a place as well for stuff for sale. you might have better luck selling your ammo there.
:welcome:

:newhere: As i seem to be the/a spark that caused this discord in your forum, let me apologize. I don't have a etiquette book. I had high hopes that i might find like minded folks who understand that guns are not a social problem, & might have some ideas to actually address the problem. I have no ax to grind, i'm not in st petersberg (i hate cold), i have a great deal of knowledge to freely share, & there are no stupid Qs. One of the few things we dinosaurs can still do is pass on our accumulated knowledge. It's not carved in stone, just my opinions, based on what's worked for me (& helped keep me alive).
& yeah, SM IS full of, if not dominated by, folks who are NOT what they appear. Amusing to me that, as i spent 13yrs in a relationship w/a psychiatrist, she used to frequently say tarheel's entire paranoia stmnt, finishing it, "...doesn't mean they're not still out to getcha!"
Again, sorry to have sowed any dissent in the ranks. :sorry: