Re: Hello All! New to the forum!

Welcome from Fairfax, VA. I used to live in Montgomery County, MD. I can provide some guidance on FFL holders and ranges. In Montgomery County, I have nice things to say about United Gun Shop. I am telling you whats good but not what's bad. I can't say much about FFLs in/near Baltimore. I have heard good things about the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore (https://associatedgunclubs.org/) they have a list of trainers who can provide training that meets MSP requirements. Also do to the adverse regulatory environment, you may wish to get on the mailing list of Maryland Shall Issue.

As for firearms, prior to purchasing a handgun, MD requires you get a HQL (basically a permission slip to exercise a basic right). But given that you don't have a huge amount of experience handling firearms, consider finding a class that goes above and beyond the HQL requirements.

As for firearms themselves, once you have the HQL, start visiting local FFLs and just handling the firearms and see what fits you best. Also go to various ranges that do rentals and try out different firearms. Everyone is different so see what works for you. More common firearms (Glock 17/19, etc) have a much better aftermarket and its much easier to get holsters, etc for them. Most importantly get training. I enjoy the skills building part best.

Re: Hello All! New to the forum!

DavidMS wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:36 am Welcome from Fairfax, VA. I used to live in Montgomery County, MD. I can provide some guidance on FFL holders and ranges. In Montgomery County, I have nice things to say about United Gun Shop. I am telling you whats good but not what's bad. I can't say much about FFLs in/near Baltimore. I have heard good things about the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore (https://associatedgunclubs.org/) they have a list of trainers who can provide training that meets MSP requirements. Also do to the adverse regulatory environment, you may wish to get on the mailing list of Maryland Shall Issue.

As for firearms, prior to purchasing a handgun, MD requires you get a HQL (basically a permission slip to exercise a basic right). But given that you don't have a huge amount of experience handling firearms, consider finding a class that goes above and beyond the HQL requirements.

As for firearms themselves, once you have the HQL, start visiting local FFLs and just handling the firearms and see what fits you best. Also go to various ranges that do rentals and try out different firearms. Everyone is different so see what works for you. More common firearms (Glock 17/19, etc) have a much better aftermarket and its much easier to get holsters, etc for them. Most importantly get training. I enjoy the skills building part best.
DavidMS, wonderful info! I will be looking into all of this! Many thanks!