Hello All! New to the forum!

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

BaconRebellion
Helpful Contributor

Hello All! New to the forum!

#1 Post by BaconRebellion » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi!

48 year old male, recent Brooklyn NY transplant to Baltimore MD, though I grew up in New England (born in Connecticut and grew up in New Hampshire).

I will be honest, even having grown up in the Live Free or Die state, I have only been shooting a handful of times, but as of late, I have been feeling the need to arm myself. I'm a new father with a racially mixed family and the atmosphere in this country as of the past few years, makes me wary for our safety. I feel its time to iron up.

My primary focus in joining this forum is to get advice on all of this from folks who have a more or less similar world view, as the bigger gun culture seems somewhat hostile to my personal politics. And of course, I am generalizing. Of this I am aware.... :yes:

To start, is anyone on this forum in the Baltimore area, and if so, could you possibly point me in the direction of retailers and ranges that I may find welcoming?

Thanks! I look forward to interacting with you folks!

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Hello All! New to the forum!

#2 Post by Bucolic » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Welcome from slightly to your north in Gettysburg. Sorry but I know little about gun laws, stores, and ranges in MD. I am sure someone will be along to help.
Neverthless, she persisted.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#3 Post by featureless » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Welcome. You'll find you're in good company here for your reason for entering into the firearms ownership world.

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

#4 Post by Bisbee » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Good. Glad you found us. We can be a good resource for firearms knowledge and a place to commiserate about the state of the nation.
:welcome:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Hiker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by Hiker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Welcome from Lexington KY
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by YankeeTarheel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi from NJ!
Baltimore is a nicer place than people realize. And you have just about the coolest baseball stadium in MLB!|
"Camden Yards"! but only the O's call it "Oriole Stadium at Camden Yards".
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." -- Mark Twain
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

MaxwellG
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by MaxwellG » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Welcome Baconrebellion from the Land of Cheese!
Each generation of President goes a little bit further, becomes a little more criminal in nature. We cannot use the past to excuse the criminal actions of today.

JColville
Verified Member
Verified Member

#8 Post by JColville » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:58 pm

WELCOME FROM OREGON.jpg
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by max129 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:33 pm

:welcome:

Hi BaconRebellion,

Welcome fro the Free State of Nevada.

I hope you enjoy the forum.

- Max

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

#10 Post by sikacz » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:38 am

Welcome from Houston!
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

#11 Post by SailDesign » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:26 am

Hi, from RI :welcome:
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage

SubRosa
Chatty

#12 Post by SubRosa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:28 am

:welcome: From AZ.

S u b R o s a
Another well-armed leftist. :ras:

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#13 Post by CDFingers » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:33 am

Greetings from northern California, a jagged red reef in a sea of blue.

"Need to arm" means hand gun, the most difficult of all firearms platforms to operate.

I would suggest a nice, old, military surplus bolt action rifle. And a safe that can hold 28 more rifles. :yahoo:

Ask me how I know. '-)

CDFingers
ImageImage
Goodbye, Mama and Papa. Goodbye, Jack and Jill.
The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter either side of the hill.

SubRosa
Chatty

#14 Post by SubRosa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 am

CDFingers wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:33 am
I would suggest a nice, old, military surplus bolt action rifle. And a safe that can hold 28 more rifles. CDFingers

Enfield .303 & .22LR revolver to start. :beer2:

SR
Another well-armed leftist. :ras:

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

#15 Post by Buck13 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Definitely good to start with a .22 handgun. Excellent practice and the cheapest ammo. Develop good habits THEN move up to a "real" caliber.

If a semi-auto is an option, you might start here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47286
A decent target-type .22 auto will never get old. They're not terribly "practical" but tons of fun and a good learning platform.

If a .22 revolver is required, any variant of the Smith and Wesson model 17 or 617 is excellent, and if you buy a good one used, it shouldn't depreciate. (If you don't know any gun people who can help you, buying used may be a bit daunting, but read the "Revolver Checkout" document in our Handguns subforum. Depends if you want to save a few bucks or just have the no worries of buying new...)

Ruger SP101s are also pretty nice. People malign Ruger triggers, but I have a GP100 .357 (similar mechanism to the SP101, I think) and it's fine. It's a little noisy, but its function is really quite acceptable, IMHO. The little Ruger LCR .22 is also decent if you want something more in the concealable size. One review I read said the LCR trigger was too heavy, but I rented and shot one once, and I didn't notice it to be unreasonable. I'm a skinny guy who doesn't work with my hands much, so it's not like I can crush rocks with my fingers, either, although I do sometimes kayak so maybe that helps a little.

If you want to jump directly to a "real" caliber, both those Rugers are also available in a quirky six-shot .32 or a more common five-shot .38/.357 version. The .38 is probably a better choice than the .32 since ammo is cheaper and more widely available. Smith and Wesson .38s come in SO MANY different models that it would be exhausting to try to list them. Just bear in mind that snubbies (revolvers with about a 2" barrel) are one of the hardest type of gun to shoot well. A 4" barrel is hard to conceal but much easier to shoot accurately.

If you are considering a 9 mm auto, the Cz 75 D Compact is excellent. I find it to be in a real sweet spot for size, weight and accuracy (not that it's a target pistol, but it's accurate enough to be fun to shoot at a fairly small target). Not really that small though. Glock 19 is a good alternative. Glock 43 is much smaller, very light and works pretty darn well. My wife shot one on her second or third day of shooting, ever, and after working down from the Glock 34 and Glock 19, she did quite will with the G43. She chose to buy herself a Cz, though, because she's not interested in concealed carry.

For a rifle, you can find literally millions of used lever-action guns in the market. Their target accuracy isn't equal to a good bolt gun, but are you planning to shoot for score? Both the .30-30 and .35 Remington are tried and true calibers and lever guns are fairly light, not scary looking, and can be shot reasonably rapidly up to the capacity of their usually small and fixed tubular magazines. With practice, you can shove extra rounds from a pocket into the tube somewhat easily. Without looking it up, I'd bet .30-30 ammo is more reasonably priced than .35 Rem, but the .35 is kinda traditional in your neighborhood, I believe, so I'd think you'd find the stuff easily enough.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#16 Post by YankeeTarheel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Buck13 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:32 pm

For a rifle, you can find literally millions of used lever-action guns in the market. Their target accuracy isn't equal to a good bolt gun, but are you planning to shoot for score? Both the .30-30 and .35 Remington are tried and true calibers and lever guns are fairly light, not scary looking, and can be shot reasonably rapidly up to the capacity of their usually small and fixed tubular magazines. With practice, you can shove extra rounds from a pocket into the tube somewhat easily. Without looking it up, I'd bet .30-30 ammo is more reasonably priced than .35 Rem, but the .35 is kinda traditional in your neighborhood, I believe, so I'd think you'd find the stuff easily enough.
I went with a .357 Marlin 1894. Ironically, new ones (non-JM stamped) are quite a bit cheaper than older ones. It's light, not that big, holds far more cartridges, 9+1 rounds (there's a version that's 10+1), and can shoot much cheaper .38 special ammo just as well as .357 Magnum. And it shares ammo with a .357 / .38 revolver. It quickly became my favorite firearm. And the 1894 and 1895 versions are side-discharge so you can mount a scope. I doubt it's as accurate as a high-end bolt action, but I've certainly no need for that level of sniper-shooting.

If you don't mind the civil-war era front-tube loading, the Henry rifles are a great combination of quality at low cost.
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#17 Post by Bucolic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Lots of good advice above.

My only addition would be to consider a decent bolt action .22 LR rifle. You can learn a lot with one. Ammo is cheap, even the good stuff. You can develop good technique without distraction of recoil, loud report, etc.

Lots of options. Personally, I like my CZ 455 very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

#18 Post by Buck13 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Yep, those Cz .22 rifles are beautiful!

The .357 lever rifle is great, but the SASS shooters seem to mop up all the nice used ones. If you can find one that is affordable, definitely buy it. OTOH, you could hardly enter a used gun shop without tripping over a .30-30, in my experience. The .357 will certainly be better in terms of ammo capacity. The smaller case makes them harder to reload* (at least in my limited experience...my Rossi isn't all that easy to stuff cartridges into), if you get that far.

*EDIT: I mean, reload as in "put more cartridges in the magazine," not as in "assemble cartridges from empty cases, primers, powder and projectiles." That probably goes without saying, but I'm saying it! :)
Last edited by Buck13 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#19 Post by YankeeTarheel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:06 pm

My .357 Marlin is, IMHO, a really nice one, a 1979 JM. It wasn't cheap...but it's worth it.

Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member

#20 Post by Buck13 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Other 9 mm auto ideas I forgot above:
-I fondled a Ruger Security 9 in the LGS recently. Dry firing it felt pretty good for a $300 gun, but I haven't shot one yet.

-This thread:
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... =7&t=47898

ImageImage

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#21 Post by YankeeTarheel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Buck13 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:37 pm
Other 9 mm auto ideas I forgot above:
-I fondled a Ruger Security 9 in the LGS recently. Dry firing it felt pretty good for a $300 gun, but I haven't shot one yet.

-This thread:
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... =7&t=47898
And don't forget the KelTec Sub2000. 9mm, 16" barrel, folds in half, but NOT a collapsing stock. Also comes in .40 and can use Glock 17 or 19, Beretta, or S&W magazines. Less than $400.

GoldenRetrieversRule
Verified Member
Verified Member

#22 Post by GoldenRetrieversRule » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:48 pm

Bucolic wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:44 pm
Lots of good advice above.

My only addition would be to consider a decent bolt action .22 LR rifle. You can learn a lot with one. Ammo is cheap, even the good stuff. You can develop good technique without distraction of recoil, loud report, etc.

Lots of options. Personally, I like my CZ 455 very much.

Here we go...I believe Bucolic is why we have two in our cabinet now :whistle:
"...just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" ~Mark Twain

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#23 Post by Bucolic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Aw shucks. T’weren’t nuthin.

Have you shot them yet?

GoldenRetrieversRule
Verified Member
Verified Member

#24 Post by GoldenRetrieversRule » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 pm

Bucolic wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:53 pm
Aw shucks. T’weren’t nuthin.

Have you shot them yet?

Not yet! I'm focusing on getting my shotgun and myself ready for a deer hunt in a couple weeks. But that CZ is a beauty and I need to try it out! Not enough time in the day. Now that the election is over I should have a little more time, I was helping a candidate.
"...just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" ~Mark Twain

max129
Verified Member
Verified Member

#25 Post by max129 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:09 am

Buck13 said:

The little Ruger LCR .22 is also decent if you want something more in the concealable size.
One of the best firearms I have ever owned.