New-ish member from Central NY

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Post Reply
Message
Author
tc556guy
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 pm

New-ish member from Central NY

#1 Post by tc556guy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:22 pm

I've been prompted to start my own intro thread.
Honestly, I thought I'd registered before and just couldn't log in for whatever reason.
Whatever.
LEO from the Tompkins County area, for the past 27 years
22 years Army National Guard, retired. Three years mobilized, if that matters to anyone.
23 years as an FFL, still going strong in that endeavor.

Anyways, I'll be upfront and say that I am here primarily for the prep subforum although that's not to say I wont post elsewhere if a topic is of interest.
I'll also be upfront and say that I don't consider myself a liberal, although other people on other gun forums may disagree.
I'll try to be respectful in my comments, but I'll also be quite frank that living in an area that politically is dominated by liberals to an extreme, I have nothing positive to say about liberal politicians and their views and practices. Monopolized political power in the hands of either political extreme is not a good thing and an abomination of how our system of governance should work.

I understand that people are able to hold divergent views on different issues, almost to the point of being bipolar.
But I have to ask how any of you can self-identify with a political philosophy that wants to strip all of us of the very thing this and other gun forums are focused on.

carry on.

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14063
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#2 Post by sikacz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:37 pm

Welcome and I believe the 2nd amendment and the RKBA are the most liberal of ideas. :beer2:
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many

User avatar
senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 19516
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Calif Central Coast
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#3 Post by senorgrand » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Welcome!

What made you come find us and whatchya shoot?
Image

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

User avatar
Inquisitor
Site Admin
Posts: 14604
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#4 Post by Inquisitor » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:06 pm

A somewhat older blog post about what one guy believes.

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/2014/12/11/unicorns/

User avatar
Simmer down
Site Admin
Posts: 15554
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:17 pm
Location: The Liberal part of N Texas
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#5 Post by Simmer down » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:59 pm

Welcome. Read through the posts and see what you can glean about the freak show that houses liberal gun owners. :fun:
Image Image Image
Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

User avatar
Mohead
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:02 pm
Location: North Alabama
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#6 Post by Mohead » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:15 pm

:welcome: from Alabama.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
John A. Shedd

Image

User avatar
Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3235
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Corvallis,Oregon (LGC Member)
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#7 Post by Bacchus » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:17 pm

:welcome: from Oregon! Yeah, we can seem like an odd bunch. It only seems that way from the outside, though; the view from within the freakshow is that it's those who want to take our guns who have it wrong. :) Or, as this poster likes to think, 'Piss off... I like guns!'
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Image
ImageImage

User avatar
begemot
Loquacious
Posts: 3017
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:54 pm
Location: Northern Virginia
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#8 Post by begemot » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:39 pm

Welcome. You'll find a wide spectrum of philosophies on this forum from the far left to the moderate right. Relating to folks here as individuals that share common interests and struggles is a good tactic for fitting in. I'm still mastering it. I don't often identify as liberal anymore but I can't relate to the alternatives and resent popular labels and categories others try to define for me. If I started a gun club it would be called The Left-of-Center-Moderate-Sick-of-Left-and-Right-Wingnuts-and-All-Politics-Just-Looking-For-Meaning-and-Cool-Weapons-and-Pastries Gun Club.

User avatar
JColville
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 2177
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:36 pm
Location: Beaverton, Oregon (LGC member)
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#9 Post by JColville » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:34 pm

Bacchus wrote::welcome: from Oregon! Yeah, we can seem like an odd bunch. It only seems that way from the outside, though; the view from within the freakshow is that it's those who want to take our guns who have it wrong. :) Or, as this poster likes to think, 'Piss off... I like guns!'
Right on, Mike! Shooting stuff is fun. end of argument.
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

User avatar
Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3235
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Corvallis,Oregon (LGC Member)
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#10 Post by Bacchus » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:20 pm

tc556guy wrote: ...But I have to ask how any of you can self-identify with a political philosophy that wants to strip all of us of the very thing this and other gun forums are focused on...
To speak directly to your (perhaps rhetorical) question: Speaking solely for myself, the extent to which I identify with any philosophy constitutes a compromise. I have many concerns in my life, only some of which involve firearms and 2nd amendment-related issues. Will I throw my lot behind a party - or individual - that supports 2nd amendment rights at the expense of jobs, healthcare, roads and infrastructure, or any of the other amendments or elements of the Constitution I hold dear? No. I refer to Inquisitor's link upthread, as I think that it's spot-on. I believe that any politician's focus on 'gun control' is silly, short-sighted, and ultimately ineffective versus efforts that actually address issues of violence in our society.

It does get complicated for this voter, but I have yet to find anyone - anyone - who lines up identically with my own political philosophy on every issue. Generally, I think that's a good thing.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Image
ImageImage

User avatar
Frogger
Been around awhile
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:17 pm
Location: Southern Utah
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#11 Post by Frogger » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:05 am

:welcome: from Southern Utah!
Frogger

Member of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the Liberal Gun Club
---
ImageImage
Image

tc556guy
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#12 Post by tc556guy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:25 am

sikacz wrote:Welcome and I believe the 2nd amendment and the RKBA are the most liberal of ideas. :beer2:
Classic liberalism yes.
Modern liberalism, no

tc556guy
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#13 Post by tc556guy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:29 am

senorgrand wrote:Welcome!

What made you come find us and whatchya shoot?
Nowadays mostly semiauto stuff
Used to be on the state pistol team when I was in the Guard, and being Infantry spent a lot of time on various full auto stuff that my liberal state considers too evil for the common man
In my early days as a LEO we still had wheelguns so unlike most of my younger coworkers I still have a few of those kicking around the collection.
I originally came to the site because your prep subforum was linked to somewhere else, can't recall where or when.
It's sat in my collection of gun/prep forums ever since

tc556guy
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#14 Post by tc556guy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:38 am

Bacchus wrote:
tc556guy wrote: ...But I have to ask how any of you can self-identify with a political philosophy that wants to strip all of us of the very thing this and other gun forums are focused on...
To speak directly to your (perhaps rhetorical) question: Speaking solely for myself, the extent to which I identify with any philosophy constitutes a compromise. I have many concerns in my life, only some of which involve firearms and 2nd amendment-related issues. Will I throw my lot behind a party - or individual - that supports 2nd amendment rights at the expense of jobs, healthcare, roads and infrastructure, or any of the other amendments or elements of the Constitution I hold dear? No. I refer to Inquisitor's link upthread, as I think that it's spot-on. I believe that any politician's focus on 'gun control' is silly, short-sighted, and ultimately ineffective versus efforts that actually address issues of violence in our society.

It does get complicated for this voter, but I have yet to find anyone - anyone - who lines up identically with my own political philosophy on every issue. Generally, I think that's a good thing.
The problem with that is if someone aligns themselves with the Democratic party in any way, they're aligning themselves with a party that is entirely anti-gun. The party as an entity wants to do away with firearms not in the possession of the government. That is their ultimate goal, and the events of this last week have caused them to drop any pretense they might show that would say otherwise.
As for the topics you list, I'll run down them
It isn't the gov'ts business to "make jobs". The gov'ts business in job creation is to make the conditions through which job creation can occur. That means a favorable tax system, primarily.
Healthcare is simply not the business of gov't outside of vets who have received injuries while in service to the nation
Roads and infrastructure are indeed the business of gov't, and I see those being maintained every summer during our limited construction season in Upstate NY. Lets face it: we have 200-plus years of roads here in the East. Century-old service infrastructure like water and sewer. There isn't enough money anywhere to be able to do it all in a short time.
I'm primarily a single issue voter: where does the candidate stand on guns. The other issues are great to weigh in on, but if they are anti-gun they are completely a non-starter for me as a candidate

User avatar
Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3235
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Corvallis,Oregon (LGC Member)
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#15 Post by Bacchus » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:05 pm

tc556guy wrote:
Bacchus wrote:
tc556guy wrote: ...But I have to ask how any of you can self-identify with a political philosophy that wants to strip all of us of the very thing this and other gun forums are focused on...
To speak directly to your (perhaps rhetorical) question: Speaking solely for myself, the extent to which I identify with any philosophy constitutes a compromise. I have many concerns in my life, only some of which involve firearms and 2nd amendment-related issues. Will I throw my lot behind a party - or individual - that supports 2nd amendment rights at the expense of jobs, healthcare, roads and infrastructure, or any of the other amendments or elements of the Constitution I hold dear? No. I refer to Inquisitor's link upthread, as I think that it's spot-on. I believe that any politician's focus on 'gun control' is silly, short-sighted, and ultimately ineffective versus efforts that actually address issues of violence in our society.

It does get complicated for this voter, but I have yet to find anyone - anyone - who lines up identically with my own political philosophy on every issue. Generally, I think that's a good thing.
The problem with that is if someone aligns themselves with the Democratic party in any way, they're aligning themselves with a party that is entirely anti-gun. The party as an entity wants to do away with firearms not in the possession of the government. That is their ultimate goal, and the events of this last week have caused them to drop any pretense they might show that would say otherwise.
As for the topics you list, I'll run down them
It isn't the gov'ts business to "make jobs". The gov'ts business in job creation is to make the conditions through which job creation can occur. That means a favorable tax system, primarily.
Healthcare is simply not the business of gov't outside of vets who have received injuries while in service to the nation
Roads and infrastructure are indeed the business of gov't, and I see those being maintained every summer during our limited construction season in Upstate NY. Lets face it: we have 200-plus years of roads here in the East. Century-old service infrastructure like water and sewer. There isn't enough money anywhere to be able to do it all in a short time.
I'm primarily a single issue voter: where does the candidate stand on guns. The other issues are great to weigh in on, but if they are anti-gun they are completely a non-starter for me as a candidate
Oops! Didn't intend to start debate in the intro thread... :oops: I'm sure you'll find by browsing the threads that many here have problems with the D party. Also, liberal is not the D party, and vice-versa. You're opinions of what the gov't role is are noted. You'll find some single-issue voters here, too. Again, welcome.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Image
ImageImage

AmberVIP
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#16 Post by AmberVIP » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:17 am

Hello all, I too am from NY glad to see so many from the same amazing city as I am.

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14063
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#17 Post by sikacz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:38 am

AmberVIP wrote:Hello all, I too am from NY glad to see so many from the same amazing city as I am.
Welcome! Usually a new thread is encouraged.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many

User avatar
Inquisitor
Site Admin
Posts: 14604
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#18 Post by Inquisitor » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:55 am

sikacz wrote:
AmberVIP wrote:Hello all, I too am from NY glad to see so many from the same amazing city as I am.
Welcome! Usually a new thread is encouraged.
Looks like spambot, FYI

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14063
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#19 Post by sikacz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Inquisitor wrote:
sikacz wrote:
AmberVIP wrote:Hello all, I too am from NY glad to see so many from the same amazing city as I am.
Welcome! Usually a new thread is encouraged.
Looks like spambot, FYI
Figures! :roflmao:
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many

User avatar
AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 4940
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:05 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#20 Post by AndyH » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:47 am

tc556guy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:25 am
sikacz wrote:Welcome and I believe the 2nd amendment and the RKBA are the most liberal of ideas. :beer2:
Classic liberalism yes.
Modern liberalism, no
Nope, you're trying too hard. It's simple, really: The Democratic party is the only US party that has an anti-gun plank in their platform. Thing is, the Democratic party isn't liberal. They're almost as far right as the Republicans. There's a LOT happening left of center - and we like all of the Constitution over here.

Image
https://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2016

:welcome:
“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.” Heinlein
You can’t take the Razorback! She is gone and gone and gone!

User avatar
danhue
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:23 pm
Location: SE PA
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#21 Post by danhue » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:07 am

This is my view on the relationship towards guns by various political proclivities.

For conservatives, guns are symbols of tradition and order. Right now they oppose most gun regulations, but I think a lot of it is a reaction to what they perceive (rightly, IMO) as an opportunistic progressive push. In the long run, I would not trust their steadfast support for a truly egalitarian access to guns.

Progressives, being no fan of the status quo, tend to be against guns for the same reasons that conservatives are for them, unless they have a more aggressive/revolutionary stand (e.g., because they don't trust the political system will change on its own, or perhaps fear oppression), in which case the can be seduced by the power of guns too, at the very least to keep the state power in check.

Liberals can appreciate guns as symbols of individualism and personal responsibility. I'm in that camp. I accept that widely available guns make my daily life a little less safe, because of careless or deranged people who could misuse them and hurt me or someone I love. For me, it's more than tolerable. I am no more afraid of guns in the waistband of a stranger I encounter than I am afraid of driving at 60 miles per hour down a road with opposite traffic, which is to say a little, but not much. Am I afraid for my kids' safety at school? Honestly, somewhat yes, but I am way more scared of them driving around, now that they are novice drivers. So I keep things in perspective, and also consider the benefits that guns provide me. First and foremost, and this is not brought up enough IMO, they are FUN. I enjoy shooting tremendously, It's my only hobby. Some of the proposed gun regulations, like banning ARs, limiting mag capacity, or the worse of all to me, certified gun lists, go right against that pursuit. I also want the ability to defend myself if I am attacked in my home, or cornered somewhere in a public place. There too, I understand and accept that I could very well hurt myself (or someone else) through negligence, but that is my problem and my responsibility to deal with. If the state objects in the name of public safety, then I think it would be acceptable to establish a gun ownership license system, with reasonable proficiency requirements. More generally speaking, I think there is value for a society to learn to deal with its citizenry having access to guns or other powerful tools. It's only going to get worse as technology and knowledge disseminate more and more. The solution to public threats cannot be to clamp down or legitimate rights (like the right to have fun or defend oneself) every time technology is misuse by a very few with malicious intent.

User avatar
Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3274
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:21 pm
Location: Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#22 Post by Buck13 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Howdy from Seattle! :welcome:

Here's a not-too-old thread that had a good discussion of the range of politics here.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39982
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

User avatar
Buck13
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 3274
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:21 pm
Location: Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#23 Post by Buck13 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Oops. Didn't notice this was an old thread that got bumped.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

ImageImage

User avatar
bigbass4me
Grizzled Veteran
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: taylorsville NC
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#24 Post by bigbass4me » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:30 am

Welcome from NC veteran


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue Dot Veteran

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 11232
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: New-ish member from Central NY

#25 Post by lurker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:32 am

day late, dollar short.
:wacko:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests