New Member Introduction

How do, all? I'm Mike, I live in north central Oklahoma and I just joined this evening. I was surfing the internet looking for information on building gun ranges and one of the side roads lead me here.

I had a good job (until last March - not worth going into now) and bought guns that I liked, ammo for them, and reloading equipment. I love ballistics, just the numbers and statistics, I find them fascinating reading.

I'm looking for work in eastern Oklahoma now. I want to move closer to my eldest son so we can start a business together, as well as spend more time with his daughter.

I have an AR15, an LR10, assorted H&R's from .204 Ruger up to .45-70 BC, Savage bolt actions, 5 or 6 .22 rimfires in both long guns and hand guns, a couple of 1911's, a couple of Hi-Points in .45 ACP, a pair of matched .357's and a S&W 500.

I love shooting and am trying to find information on your postal matches, especially if it's rimfire.

Re: New Member Introduction

Fukshot wrote:Welcome!

Tell us more about the H&Rs?
I have 2 heavy barreled Sportster 17 HMR's, a heavy barreled Ultra Rifle in .204 Ruger, a heavy barreled Ultra Varmint in .22-250, a Handi-Rifle in 26" .25-06, a BC .45-70 Gov, a .410 Topper, and one of my favorites, my Handi-Rifle with the 22" barrel in .22 Hornet.

Future plans (after I start working again) is to rebarrel both of the 17 HMR's for .22 lr's, get a second Hornet and rebarrel both of them to .223 Rem, and a second .45-70 BC barrel and rechamber it to .45-120 (just because I love the looks of that cartridge!).

I'm still trying to get info on the silhouette matches here. I know that they're single shot .22 lr with an exposed hammer, but don't know if I'm allowed to use a scope (eyesight's not there any more) and if the Sportster's qualify as the right type of rifle.

Re: New Member Introduction

whitey wrote::welcome: from VA. I can't believe its that hard to find work in OK nowadays. Figured there'd be plenty with all the holes they're punching in the ground looking for natural gas.
I don't want to work in the oilfield. I like working outdoors, but don't want to be in that filthy, stinky stuff. Did it 25 years ago and don't want to repeat it even though it pays well.

I'm a maintenance tech as well as having my water/wastewater treatment credentials from the state and would most like to work in a water treatment system. I have applications in to the Tulsa municipal system and a private water company in Jones, but haven't heard back. I've been doing a lot of interviews since I started looking, but have only recently started getting replies (all "no's").

It's hard to find work for someone without skills. However, as a skilled technician, there are a lot of jobs; it's just a matter of finding someone that realizes that I'm who they're looking for. And someone that has work that doesn't suck. I applied at a plastic stretch wrap plant east of here (in the same city as my mother lives), but I didn't like the work conditions (fumes, heaters & immensely sharp high speed rotary knives). They never got back to me, so I assume that they didn't like me, either.