New member and gun owner

1
Got my first shotgun and rifle last October and first handgun a couple months ago. Joined LGC a few weeks ago after quitting a couple other online gun owners groups that made me feel uncomfortable with their rhetoric.

I’ve shot skeet and gone to the shooting range for fun for years, but decided to buy my own guns for home and family defense after becoming very concerned about Trump’s comments about possibly not conceding the election and the subsequent behavior of his followers, including the alarming rise in anti-Asian violence. It bothers me that the vast majority of American gun owners are probably right wing conservatives who support the Trump agenda. I would love to see more liberals taking up arms to provide more balance.

Teaching my family to shoot is a fun activity, but I’m also trying to educate them about responsible gun handling and self-defense. We are Asian-American, and have Asian-American family and friends as well as ourselves who have been the victims of violent attacks and had their businesses vandalized while the police and legal system turned a blind eye.

I don’t know yet how I feel about all the issues surrounding the gun control debate, but since I live in Maryland, I do feel that the 10 cartridge magazine limit is not effective, and that there are root causes that need to be addressed to reduce gun violence.

Looking forward to being part of the community.

Re: New member and gun owner

4
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. I was introduced to Asian culture as a little kid wandering downtown Baltimore in the early 1950s through the Walter's and McCormick & Company and a couple little shops down on the Waterfront that sold incense and papers and sweets.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
Stories coming to you from Deep South Texas!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!

Re: New member and gun owner

8
Hi from NJ.
I, too, became a gun owner out of fear of violence by Trump fanatics, only my epiphany came the morning of November 9, 2016.
At the time, NJ's HCM set a 15 round limit. In mid-2018, the state lowered it to 10 rounds, with no discernible effect on shootings. It only forced owners to spend lots of money replacing mags or getting them permanently altered. It allowed owners to surrender them to police, with no compensation, as well. No one did. Anywhere.
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Re: New member and gun owner

9
Howdy from southern AZ. I hear ya on the forums part. Besides a couple reddit forums the only other one I've found besides this one that is decently moderated and safe for liberals is gunboards.com. Course all bets are over if you go into the political forums. One admin over there Northbender will protect you. All the rest are creepy nut jobs.
The Asian violence is disturbing.
The mag count does not bother me, if you can't hit your assailant with the first ten rounds run.

I do agree with fixing the root cause. The wife works with behavioral health issues. Truthfully those people are mostly non violent. The problem really is all the hate speech from the right along with our past president who liked violence against his detractors.

Well, there I go again, getting political.
Buy the ticket; take the ride

Re: New member and gun owner

14
Hi JWC and welcome. What type of handgun do you have?

I am okay with the magazine limits and even though I live in TX I have self-imposed limits because I have black powder revolvers for home defense. As liberals we have to be willing to compromise on some things related to guns and not just act like we want to live in the wild west and continue to have 194 mass shootings in every 18 week period.

Re: New member and gun owner

15
OfeibeaGR wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:16 pm Hi JWC and welcome. What type of handgun do you have?

I am okay with the magazine limits and even though I live in TX I have self-imposed limits because I have black powder revolvers for home defense. As liberals we have to be willing to compromise on some things related to guns and not just act like we want to live in the wild west and continue to have 194 mass shootings in every 18 week period.
Well crap. Now you've gone and done it. This is going to turn into one long thread where you get educated about what a liberal really is. I'm going to pop some popcorn.

:roflmao:

Re: New member and gun owner

18
Limits to the amount of rounds a detachable magazine should hold are purely arbitrary. Why not 9 instead of 10? Or 11? Perhaps we could figure out how many rounds are fired in an average self-defense situation, add 10% and use that number. Then there would be the debate, should that number not be whole, as weather to round up or down. I cannot think of a situation in which the “bad guy” does not have the initial advantage. They choose who, where, when, how. If their disposition doesn't hinder them from physically harming someone else, it seems to me that a magazine limit won't cause an epiphany and a return to good citizenship. Perhaps a limit on the number of crimes a person can commit is in order.

By the way, hi and welcome.
Looks like I picked the wrong year to quit drinking.

Re: New member and gun owner

19
OfeibeaGR wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:16 pm Hi JWC and welcome. What type of handgun do you have?

I am okay with the magazine limits and even though I live in TX I have self-imposed limits because I have black powder revolvers for home defense. As liberals we have to be willing to compromise on some things related to guns and not just act like we want to live in the wild west and continue to have 194 mass shootings in every 18 week period.
I have a used 9mm Springfield EMP4 and am waiting for a new 9mm Springfield Range Officer Operator to be delivered, which I plan to put a laser sight on. My wife and I like the 1911 grip and thumb safeties, at least until we have more confidence in our gun safety training instincts.

Re: New member and gun owner

22
papajim2jordan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:03 pm Limits to the amount of rounds a detachable magazine should hold are purely arbitrary. Why not 9 instead of 10? Or 11? Perhaps we could figure out how many rounds are fired in an average self-defense situation, add 10% and use that number. Then there would be the debate, should that number not be whole, as weather to round up or down. I cannot think of a situation in which the “bad guy” does not have the initial advantage. They choose who, where, when, how. If their disposition doesn't hinder them from physically harming someone else, it seems to me that a magazine limit won't cause an epiphany and a return to good citizenship. Perhaps a limit on the number of crimes a person can commit is in order.

By the way, hi and welcome.
How many bullets does one need to fend off 3-4 armed carjackers? It's 100% certainly a lot more than 10.

Re: New member and gun owner

23
sikacz wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:55 am
lurker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:44 pm the intro thread is interesting.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=60231&p=815953#p815953
I thought shinzen banned them. Should have been a permanent ban. This is not the “democratic party gun club”.
I don't have the emotional capacity to educate someone like that, but I don't know if a permanent ban is in order... Chase them off from here, and where do they go? Right into the arms of the racist gun controllers...

Re: New member and gun owner

24
NegativeApproach wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:33 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:55 am
lurker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:44 pm the intro thread is interesting.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=60231&p=815953#p815953
I thought shinzen banned them. Should have been a permanent ban. This is not the “democratic party gun club”.
I don't have the emotional capacity to educate someone like that, but I don't know if a permanent ban is in order... Chase them off from here, and where do they go? Right into the arms of the racist gun controllers...
I’m tired of their illiberal authoritarian democratic party bloomie backed anti-gun talking points. It’s like talking to a wall. I only mentioned it since an admin already banned them on the intro post. Check last comment. I can easily ignore them even though I have no interest in having them around. Just like for right wing bullshit artists, I avoid going to their domains. This is our domain and I don’t care to listen to the same garbage over and over. It’s up to the admins and mods to make a judgment call, not all individuals who wander in here can be enlightened. Some are too blind to recognize their position is not consistent with liberal philosophy. Those are not worth having here. My opinion.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: New member and gun owner

25
sikacz wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:47 pm
NegativeApproach wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:33 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:55 am
lurker wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:44 pm the intro thread is interesting.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=60231&p=815953#p815953
I thought shinzen banned them. Should have been a permanent ban. This is not the “democratic party gun club”.
I don't have the emotional capacity to educate someone like that, but I don't know if a permanent ban is in order... Chase them off from here, and where do they go? Right into the arms of the racist gun controllers...
I’m tired of their illiberal authoritarian democratic party bloomie backed anti-gun talking points. It’s like talking to a wall. I only mentioned it since an admin already banned them on the intro post. Check last comment. I can easily ignore them even though I have no interest in having them around. Just like for right wing bullshit artists, I avoid going to their domains. This is our domain and I don’t care to listen to the same garbage over and over. It’s up to the admins and mods to make a judgment call, not all individuals who wander in here can be enlightened. Some are too blind to recognize their position is not consistent with liberal philosophy. Those are not worth having here. My opinion.
Yeah, I understand that perspective as well.

I guess I am just wondering out loud on some other ways to educate people who aren't informed on the racist underpinnings of Bloomberg's anti-gun agenda.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron