New member from the Portland metro area

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Heytom
Helpful Contributor

New member from the Portland metro area

Post by Heytom »

Hi, I'm a new member to the LGC. Looking for suggestions on gun stores, gun ranges, and how to interact with the Oregon chapter. I tried to go to the Oregon forum but it doesn't seem to want to let me in. Any advice anyone might have regarding these three topics would be greatly appreciated.

I have been to Oregon Rifle Works, and they were very helpful. And the person at ORW suggested Safefire indoor range - has anyone been there? THoughts?

Cheers

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: New member from the Portland metro area

Post by lurker »

:welcome: oregon peeps will be along soon. what's your experience? do you already shoot?

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sikacz »

Welcome.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

wings
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by wings »

o/

Beaver state is well represented here. Sift through the New Members forum and you'll see a fair number of recent additions, asking similar questions. Sometimes we even answer. :)

rolandson
Site Admin

Post by rolandson »

Hi. Welcome.
Safefire is a rather nice place. Kinda spendy. Threat Dynamics in Tualatin is a rather nice place. Kinda spendy. Neither ask about NRA membership but I wouldn't volunteer that I wasn't. Clackamas County Training center is pretty good from what I understand.

Personally, I am biased. I'm an RO at The Place To Shoot in North Portland. It's not nearly as spendy; pretty basic insofar as we don't have rubber flooring, automatic mantraps, and our target carriers are not digitized, but our Keurig is new and we don't charge for it. And it is open to everyone, NRA not required.

Currently practicing covid protocols. So more than half the lanes are shut down.

Here:
https://www.theplacetoshoot.com
good tea, nice house

Heytom
Helpful Contributor

Post by Heytom »

I have been to a place to shoot a several years ago. I liked it there. It’s hand guns only if I remember correctly. We got great service - none of us were experienced and the guy working there was very helpful.

rolandson
Site Admin

Post by rolandson »

:bow:
Heytom wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:06 am
I have been to a place to shoot a several years ago. I liked it there. It’s hand guns only if I remember correctly. We got great service - none of us were experienced and the guy working there was very helpful.
It is "common" handgun calibers only, yes. A 9mm long gun, .22LR rifle, a Henry lever gun shooting something like .45 Long Colt, or an M1 Carbine (a pistol round) are perfectly acceptable for example. But a 5.56 "pistol", not so much.

Both Threat Dynamics and Safefire accept some, perhaps many, rifle calibers. .223 is okay at TD but I'm not certain about 5.56 (particularly steel core "green tip" stuff). I know for a certainty that 30-06 is not welcome.
https://www.threatdynamics.com

Another location is an outdoor spot up near Camas called The English Pit / Clark County Gun Club. The benches are covered but that's it. They have some specific rules (rate of fire and regular "hot - cold" range protocol) but I believe most calibers are welcome.

I recall a prohibition on folding stocks and rifle caliber pistols from long ago but I don't see it on their website any longer. They also serve as a training facility for local cops. If one gets a chance to observe one of these, it can be most entertaining... or frightening.

But...some of the customers are a bit neanderthal and often there's only one RO. I, and others, have seen some really sketchy shit. Personally, I won't go back after my last visit. A family of hillbillies thought a pack of small children playing with their sister-mommy's handgun behind the benches was perfectly okay.
http://englishpit.com

One would of course be wise to call ahead because...covid.
good tea, nice house

geno
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by geno »

Welcome, I believe you have to be a dues paying member to have access in the individual states forums here. I use English pit, but I've done stupid stuff all my life. I'd love to join Douglas Creek or tri county gun club but both require membership in the NRA.

" A family of hillbillies thought a pack of small children playing with their sister-mommy's handgun behind the benches was perfectly okay."
Rolandson how long ago did you witness this?
"its a goddamn impossible way of life"

rolandson
Site Admin

Post by rolandson »

geno wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:26 am
Welcome, I believe you have to be a dues paying member to have access in the individual states forums here. I use English pit, but I've done stupid stuff all my life. I'd love to join Douglas Creek or tri county gun club but both require membership in the NRA.

" A family of hillbillies thought a pack of small children playing with their sister-mommy's handgun behind the benches was perfectly okay."
Summer of 2016. Last time I was there.
good tea, nice house

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

:welcome:
Don’t go armed to the demonstrations.
:smart:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sig230 »

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.
To be vintage it must be older than me! Coming to you from Deep South Texas!

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Hey, Tom. Great time to be from Portland, eh. Welcome. Hope you get to shoot as often as you like.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Major Domo said, "Why don't we give him rope enough to hang himself?
Don't worry 'bout the jury, they'll prolly take care of themselves."

offensivename
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by offensivename »

Howdy from NE PDX.

I've never done safefire, drove by it a bunch to go to English Pit. I got a membership to Tri County and haven't really looked back. Its hard to argue with the price once you've paid the dues.

rolandson summed up Place To Shoot pretty well, its a good (but a bit spendy) place to shoot pistols in town.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

RotaryMags
Been around awhile

Post by RotaryMags »

Welcome from Bend!
John

"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington

Outpost716
Been around awhile

Post by Outpost716 »

*taps mic*
Is this thing on?
*loudspeaker feedback*
Hello?

Ahem.

Welcome! and greetings from blizzard country! 🙂

Heytom
Helpful Contributor

Post by Heytom »

geno wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:26 am

I joined LGC, opened a paypal account and everything. I just can’t seem to link my membership with my Forum account. Also not an NRA member so can’t go to ranges that require that. I’ll have to google English pit -

Heytom
Helpful Contributor

Post by Heytom »

Bisbee wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:47 am
Don’t go armed to the demonstrations.
:smart:
Nope, wouldn’t go armed to a demonstration. :no:

Heytom
Helpful Contributor

Post by Heytom »

lurker wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:14 pm
:welcome: oregon peeps will be along soon. what's your experience? do you already shoot?
My experience with guns is basically hunting with my dad as a teenager in the 1900s. Currently don’t own any and annoyed at the timing of having the time to pick up shooting now with the current challenges.

wings
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by wings »

Common enough. :) We'll hook you up, I'm sure.

I'm guessing your experience is primarily long guns, then? Rifles and shotguns are easier to come by than handguns right now, at least in the swing states. Same re: ammo. I am under the impression it isn't as bad in the Portland area, but it's still not good.

The question of what to buy depends on your intent and interests. I started with rifle as a teen, but it never really grabbed me. Picked one up more recently, but only after a couple handguns - which I enjoy shooting more. A common piece of wisdom here is: try before you buy. Try everything you can. You might be surprised what you like. I definitely didn't expect single action revolvers to be so much fun.

PM a mod, and you should get your membership / forum account issues sorted easy peasy.