Greetings from wherever I am currently

Hello all. After about a year of lurking silently, appreciating the open discourse and conversational (instead of screaming) tone of most political and firearm related discussions on these forums, I have finally joined. I am looking forward to adding my point of view, where applicable.

A little bit about me:

where I live now: Currently Northern Neck area, Virginia. Subject to change due to active duty military. I have been stationed around the nation, both coasts.
Favorite firearm: M1 Garand, mine shoots like a dream
Other likes: coffee and bourbon, cooking, baking, and grilling (food in general), used to be into cars and building PCs but no time for that anymore. Also telling my children that the government will only give me the dependent tax witholding if I annoy them/bother them on a daily basis
Football team: Buffalo Bills
Baseball team: haven't followed the sport since strike of '93

I look forward to further discussions with everyone. Thanks!
-WrongBullet
Last edited by TheWrongBullet on Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Greetings from wherever I am currently

TheWrongBullet wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:02 pm Hello all. After about a year of lurking silently, appreciating the open discourse and conversational (instead of screaming) tone of most political and firearm related discussions on these forums, I have finally joined. I am looking forward to adding my point of view, where applicable.

A little bit about me:

where I live now: Currently Northern Neck area, Virginia. Subject to change due to active duty military. I have been stationed around the nation, both coasts.
Favorite firearm: M1 Garand, mine shoots like a dream
Other likes: coffee and bourbon, cooking, baking, and grilling (food in general), used to be into cars and building PCs but no time for that anymore. Also telling my children that the government will only give me the dependent tax witholding if I annoy them/bother them on a daily basis
Football team: Buffalo Bills
Baseball team: haven't followed the sport since strike of '93

I look forward to further discussions with everyone. Thanks!
-WrongBullet
Speaking of coffee, had a Maui Yellow Bourbon for breakfast today.

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Lurker, mine is 1955 serial number, matching parts. Looks to be nearly unissued as far as metal wear, but some stock wear. When I finally made it to the CMP store, they were in a lull of availability of rack/service grades so I had to explain to my wife why our bank account was a bit lighter than expected... Most accurate first shot I have ever taken with any firearm. Makes shooting 500 yards feel the same as shooting 100 with a modern carbine.

Hi.
I too prefer the Garand. Mine's a '43 CMP something. It has...character. Sits next to it's little brother in my safe; a '43 Saginaw M1 Carbine. It also has character. I haven't shot either in quite some time. Feel kinda shitty about that.

I don't care much for bourbon, being a single malt sort of soul, but coffee...ahhh...! Word of caution, don't ever use your hot air popcorn popper to roast raw beans. Your popcorn will never taste the same. Mainly because your popcorn popper will never be used for something as proletarian as popcorn ever again.

Yes, I like coffee. Unwashed Ethiopian from about the 1800 foot level is my current favorite.

Wish I could cook. Unfortunately I lack the finesse to make the average truly special. I try, but the subtitles escape me and my efforts are utterly pedestrian. So I indulge in a single malt to consol my battered spirit. Of late, a Japanese single malt.

Welcome aboard.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:22 am Hi.
I too prefer the Garand. Mine's a '43 CMP something. It has...character. Sits next to it's little brother in my safe; a '43 Saginaw M1 Carbine. It also has character. I haven't shot either in quite some time. Feel kinda shitty about that.

I don't care much for bourbon, being a single malt sort of soul, but coffee...ahhh...! Word of caution, don't ever use your hot air popcorn popper to roast raw beans. Your popcorn will never taste the same. Mainly because your popcorn popper will never be used for something as proletarian as popcorn ever again.

Yes, I like coffee. Unwashed Ethiopian from about the 1800 foot level is my current favorite.

Wish I could cook. Unfortunately I lack the finesse to make the average truly special. I try, but the subtitles escape me and my efforts are utterly pedestrian. So I indulge in a single malt to consol my battered spirit. Of late, a Japanese single malt.

Welcome aboard.
Ethiopian coffee is a recent find for me, I start out really liking it but usually can't finish a whole bag. Too much of a good thing I suppose.

TheWrongBullet wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:02 pm Favorite firearm: M1 Garand
Don't want to make life difficult...
I stumbled upon this yesterday.
An "Unissued"* untouched by human hands Springfield Armory Garand...
https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.as ... SA-5877450

I'm thinking. I'm thinking.

* Didn't know that was a word
We Are So Screwed

TheWrongBullet wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:54 pm New purchase.jpg
lurker wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:11 am
TheWrongBullet wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:17 pm mine is 1955 serial number, matching parts. bla bla bla
no pics, didn't happen.
Only one I have on hand is from the parking lot of the CMP South store the day I purchased it
Yours looks very much like mine...
We Are So Screwed

TheWrongBullet wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:31 pm
rolandson wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:22 am Hi.

Welcome aboard.
Ethiopian coffee is a recent find for me, I start out really liking it but usually can't finish a whole bag. Too much of a good thing I suppose.
Popcorn popper: shipmate of mine brought one on a deployment to keep us happy with fresh roasted coffee. It was one of the nicest creature comforts I remember. His roast combined with my hand crank grinder and aero-press was the best damn coffee anywhere in the world. At least we thought so.

TheWrongBullet wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 pm Popcorn popper: shipmate of mine brought one on a deployment to keep us happy with fresh roasted coffee. It was one of the nicest creature comforts I remember. His roast combined with my hand crank grinder and aero-press was the best damn coffee anywhere in the world. At least we thought so.
I'd heard of this but thought it was sorta off the wall. Then stumbled on a little shop selling raw coffee. I figured I'd try it. I thought I had discovered the nectar of the gods! That was many years ago. I can't imagine buying roasted beans ever again. My neighbors had minor issues with the aroma of the smoke until I shared the results with them...
Now the whole neighborhood is roasting their own.

So now that you've let slip your branch of the service, I'm curious enough to inquire what your task is? We've had several members of our armed forces over the years, but I'm thinking you are our first active duty Naval participant. Whatcha do?
We Are So Screwed