Hello, total newbie in Denver here!

Hi all,

Recent(ish) Denver transplant by way of Seattle. I'm about as green as they come in terms of firearms; no family history with them, no close friends who own guns or go to ranges, basically no exposure to gun culture or firearms at all.

I joined the forum because I'm interested in learning to hunt small game and deer so as to have a better appreciation for where my food comes from, as well as creating a more sustainable method of meat consumption for myself.

After a LOT of reading on the internet, I've come to the conclusion that it's almost impossible to learn to hunt without already knowing someone who does. As I said, relatively new to Denver, and my few friends here are all not folks who can be helpful in this regard.

So, I come to you, oh internet strangers, seeking advice. I signed up for a Hunter's Education class in mid-February that has a live-fire portion, but I'm assuming I should probably, ya know, learn how to safely handle a firearm before that, right?

Where do I start? Any range recommendations? Where can I find a hunting mentor? Is this a fools errand? Am I asking too many questions?

Also, hello!

Re: Hello, total newbie in Denver here!

OhHaiDRol wrote:Hi all,

Recent(ish) Denver transplant by way of Seattle. I'm about as green as they come in terms of firearms; no family history with them, no close friends who own guns or go to ranges, basically no exposure to gun culture or firearms at all.

I joined the forum because I'm interested in learning to hunt small game and deer so as to have a better appreciation for where my food comes from, as well as creating a more sustainable method of meat consumption for myself.

Also, hello!
Hello & welcome! Afraid I can’t be much help in regards to hunting but just wanted to say welcome from Florida!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. You can learn to hunt, by yourself, as an adult. Good call taking the class. Next, find a range where you can shoot rifles. Buy a .22 rifle. Which ever one you want. Shoot it as much as you can. Ruger 10-22's are common, affordable and popular. Buy a bunch of ammo for it before the 2020 election.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:58 pm Hi. You can learn to hunt, by yourself, as an adult. Good call taking the class. Next, find a range where you can shoot rifles. Buy a .22 rifle. Which ever one you want. Shoot it as much as you can. Ruger 10-22's are common, affordable and popular. Buy a bunch of ammo for it before the 2020 election.
I thought you needed something larger than a .22 for deer hunting? Something that could handle the small game AND deer would be preferable, but probably best to start with something easy.

Yes, you will need a different rifle for deer. You can use a shotgun for both deer and small game but in CO a shotgun is not likely your best option for big game. Ideally a hunter will have a small game rifle, a big game rifle and a shotgun.

You need to learn the fundamentals of shooting and gun handling. A .22 is the best and most inexpensive way to achieve that. It will be your small game rifle.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:27 pm Yes, you will need a different rifle for deer. You can use a shotgun for both deer and small game but in CO a shotgun is not likely your best option for big game. Ideally a hunter will have a small game rifle, a big game rifle and a shotgun.

You need to learn the fundamentals of shooting and gun handling. A .22 is the best and most inexpensive way to achieve that. It will be your small game rifle.
Perfect! This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Thank you!

Welcome!

From never owning a firearm and no friends or family history with them, it seems that jumping to hunting seems like a theoretical leap. Go with a 22LR rifle and try out shooting cheap first.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Hello! Welcome to the world of firearms. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun. I am new to owning my own firearms. I had them around me growing up but no one ever took me shooting as a kid. I finally had a friend take me when I was 20. From that point forward, I'd occasionally shoot with others. I'd always wanted to buy some guns so I finally got some of my own a few months ago. I kinda wish I'd done it sooner. Anyway, I agree with K9s about starting with a 22LR rifle. They have minimal recoil and the ammo is super cheap so you can practice for long periods of time without spending a lot of money.

Howdy from Las Vegas. :beer2:

To add my support to all others who are telling you to go .22, if you practice with a .22 and get to the point where you are delivering the best accuracy that you can achieve; stepping up to whatever you choose as a deer rifle will be monumentally easier.

It's the same with handguns. Forget everything else until you've mastered the corresponding .22. What ever you step up to, you'll be a better shot out of the gate.

Concentrate on your fundamentals and safety procedures for now, reap the rewards for doing so later.

And since we are all Liberals here, voting for the least orange candidate this fall would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

Hi from AZ, and welcome home!

I shoot various guns, but the .22's go out with us every time.

For more hunting advice, try talking to a taxidermist...they know all the hunters to connect with, and most of them would be willing to guide you a time or two.

S u b R o s a
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."