Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

autovon wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:57 pm
UtahGuy202 wrote:Hello from Utah! I spent some time in Arkansas as a kid. Waldron specifically. That was about 30 years ago so I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. I'm also a Christian but I'm not an evangelical either. I'm also not a Mormon, which is always on someone's mind when Utah is mentioned. Lol I'm a left-wing Christian who has respect for people of all beliefs, whether it be Jewish, atheist, Muslim, etc. I was raised southern Baptist but I converted to the Episcopal church 5 years ago.
Hello back, UTG! I’m not sure AR changes much. I grew up in a small town here, and when I came back 30 years later it wasn’t much different. They did recently move from a dry to wet county... for the first time in my lifetime, one can buy alcohol at the Wal-Marts. But alas, I no longer drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good for you! I no longer drink either. I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober for 5 years. Oh and saw that you own a glock. I've got a glock 20. I bought it for protection against wildlife when I hike. But it's a lot of fun to shoot as well.

UtahGuy202 wrote:
UtahGuy202 wrote:Hello from Utah! I spent some time in Arkansas as a kid. Waldron specifically. That was about 30 years ago so I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. I'm also a Christian but I'm not an evangelical either. I'm also not a Mormon, which is always on someone's mind when Utah is mentioned. Lol I'm a left-wing Christian who has respect for people of all beliefs, whether it be Jewish, atheist, Muslim, etc. I was raised southern Baptist but I converted to the Episcopal church 5 years ago.
Hello back, UTG! I’m not sure AR changes much. I grew up in a small town here, and when I came back 30 years later it wasn’t much different. They did recently move from a dry to wet county... for the first time in my lifetime, one can buy alcohol at the Wal-Marts. But alas, I no longer drink.

Good for you! I no longer drink either. I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober for 5 years.
Nice! Today is actually marks 30 days since my last drink. Best damn decision I've ever made in my life. And as a side benefit my shooting has gotten better as my nerves have calmed down, and I've got more money for guns and ammo! It's truly wonderful all around.

UtahGuy202 wrote:Congrats! Don't give up!
Thanks man! Yeah I'm never going to drink again and I've rarely felt so sure about anything in my life. I was really bad for a long time, and now that fully I see what alcohol actually is to me, having a drink just isn't an option nor is it even appealing. It's like somebody asking me if I want a shot of motor oil or antifreeze. Everyone is different, but that shit was a poison in my life and I'm happy to be rid of it, life is just so much better.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread...

UtahGuy202 wrote:

Good for you! I no longer drink either. I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober for 5 years. Oh and saw that you own a glock. I've got a glock 20. I bought it for protection against wildlife when I hike. But it's a lot of fun to shoot as well.
Same here—been sober for 2.5 years. My wife and I run a recovery farm where we welcome guys from the local jail into our guest house 3 at a time. They get to work with our rescue alpacas as well as work on their recovery. After I retired from the Marines, I worked as a chaplain on Skid Row doing the same work. Good work and helps me stay sober, but very challenging.

It’s funny bc I couldn’t shoot Glocks for years bc the triggered messed with my finger and was downright uncomfortable. Then one day I was shooting my BIL’s and it didn’t hurt. I’ve bought several since.

That's awesome that you run a recovery farm. And if even cooler that you help those who've come straight out of jail. I have plenty friends who have been to jail so I believe everyone deserves a second chance.

As for glocks, mine was the first I shot. It definitely has a kick to it. I'm sure if I shot it for too long I'd probably hurt my hand. But I love it!

UtahGuy202 wrote:That's awesome that you run a recovery farm. And if even cooler that you help those who've come straight out of jail. I have plenty friends who have been to jail so I believe everyone deserves a second chance.

As for glocks, mine was the first I shot. It definitely has a kick to it. I'm sure if I shot it for too long I'd probably hurt my hand. But I love it!
Thanks for the encouragement, brother! Second chances are our speciality... and third... and fourth. Lol I know I’ve needed them!

Congrats on your recovery, BTW.

autovon wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:50 pm
lurker wrote:i had pretty much the same experience when i quit smoking after 40 years. more money, more breath, and less stink. win win win. every once in a while i get a craving but it passes within 30 seconds or so.
Nice work. Quitting smoking it a tough one for sure.

I quit smoking too! It'll have been 7 years this May. Aren't we a bunch of champions! :yahoo:

it's been 4 or 5 years now. i tried cutting back gradually, vaping, cold turkey. and then one day my dr told me i was going to need surgery and i'd recover faster if i quit and i did, something about that "do you want to live?" thing probably. one day it becomes real.
like i said, once in a while (longer and longer between as time passes) there's still the occasional craving when something reminds me, but 99.9% of the time i just don't think about it.
stay busy, keep yourself occupied, you'll be fine.
"bunch of champions" yes, yes we are!
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

UtahGuy202 wrote:
autovon wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:50 pm
lurker wrote:i had pretty much the same experience when i quit smoking after 40 years. more money, more breath, and less stink. win win win. every once in a while i get a craving but it passes within 30 seconds or so.
Nice work. Quitting smoking it a tough one for sure.

I quit smoking too! It'll have been 7 years this May. Aren't we a bunch of champions! :yahoo:
Hell yeah!!!