Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Message
Author
User avatar
UtahGuy202
Been around awhile
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#26 Post by UtahGuy202 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:38 pm

autovon wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:57 pm
UtahGuy202 wrote:Hello from Utah! I spent some time in Arkansas as a kid. Waldron specifically. That was about 30 years ago so I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. I'm also a Christian but I'm not an evangelical either. I'm also not a Mormon, which is always on someone's mind when Utah is mentioned. Lol I'm a left-wing Christian who has respect for people of all beliefs, whether it be Jewish, atheist, Muslim, etc. I was raised southern Baptist but I converted to the Episcopal church 5 years ago.
Hello back, UTG! I’m not sure AR changes much. I grew up in a small town here, and when I came back 30 years later it wasn’t much different. They did recently move from a dry to wet county... for the first time in my lifetime, one can buy alcohol at the Wal-Marts. But alas, I no longer drink.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good for you! I no longer drink either. I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober for 5 years. Oh and saw that you own a glock. I've got a glock 20. I bought it for protection against wildlife when I hike. But it's a lot of fun to shoot as well.

User avatar
kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:34 pm
Location: South Florida
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#27 Post by kronkmusic » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:44 pm


UtahGuy202 wrote:
autovon wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:57 pm
UtahGuy202 wrote:Hello from Utah! I spent some time in Arkansas as a kid. Waldron specifically. That was about 30 years ago so I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. I'm also a Christian but I'm not an evangelical either. I'm also not a Mormon, which is always on someone's mind when Utah is mentioned. Lol I'm a left-wing Christian who has respect for people of all beliefs, whether it be Jewish, atheist, Muslim, etc. I was raised southern Baptist but I converted to the Episcopal church 5 years ago.
Hello back, UTG! I’m not sure AR changes much. I grew up in a small town here, and when I came back 30 years later it wasn’t much different. They did recently move from a dry to wet county... for the first time in my lifetime, one can buy alcohol at the Wal-Marts. But alas, I no longer drink.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good for you! I no longer drink either. I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober for 5 years.
Nice! Today is actually marks 30 days since my last drink. Best damn decision I've ever made in my life. And as a side benefit my shooting has gotten better as my nerves have calmed down, and I've got more money for guns and ammo! It's truly wonderful all around.

User avatar
UtahGuy202
Been around awhile
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#28 Post by UtahGuy202 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:55 pm

Congrats! Don't give up!

User avatar
kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:34 pm
Location: South Florida
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#29 Post by kronkmusic » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:13 pm

UtahGuy202 wrote:Congrats! Don't give up!
Thanks man! Yeah I'm never going to drink again and I've rarely felt so sure about anything in my life. I was really bad for a long time, and now that fully I see what alcohol actually is to me, having a drink just isn't an option nor is it even appealing. It's like somebody asking me if I want a shot of motor oil or antifreeze. Everyone is different, but that shit was a poison in my life and I'm happy to be rid of it, life is just so much better.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread...

autovon
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#30 Post by autovon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:24 pm

UtahGuy202 wrote:
autovon wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:57 pm
UtahGuy202 wrote:Hello from Utah! I spent some time in Arkansas as a kid. Waldron specifically. That was about 30 years ago so I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. I'm also a Christian but I'm not an evangelical either. I'm also not a Mormon, which is always on someone's mind when Utah is mentioned. Lol I'm a left-wing Christian who has respect for people of all beliefs, whether it be Jewish, atheist, Muslim, etc. I was raised southern Baptist but I converted to the Episcopal church 5 years ago.
Hello back, UTG! I’m not sure AR changes much. I grew up in a small town here, and when I came back 30 years later it wasn’t much different. They did recently move from a dry to wet county... for the first time in my lifetime, one can buy alcohol at the Wal-Marts. But alas, I no longer drink.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good for you! I no longer drink either. I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober for 5 years. Oh and saw that you own a glock. I've got a glock 20. I bought it for protection against wildlife when I hike. But it's a lot of fun to shoot as well.
Same here—been sober for 2.5 years. My wife and I run a recovery farm where we welcome guys from the local jail into our guest house 3 at a time. They get to work with our rescue alpacas as well as work on their recovery. After I retired from the Marines, I worked as a chaplain on Skid Row doing the same work. Good work and helps me stay sober, but very challenging.

It’s funny bc I couldn’t shoot Glocks for years bc the triggered messed with my finger and was downright uncomfortable. Then one day I was shooting my BIL’s and it didn’t hurt. I’ve bought several since.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
UtahGuy202
Been around awhile
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#31 Post by UtahGuy202 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:33 pm

That's awesome that you run a recovery farm. And if even cooler that you help those who've come straight out of jail. I have plenty friends who have been to jail so I believe everyone deserves a second chance.

As for glocks, mine was the first I shot. It definitely has a kick to it. I'm sure if I shot it for too long I'd probably hurt my hand. But I love it!

autovon
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#32 Post by autovon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:42 pm

Congrats kronkmusic! Hang in there and keep fighting the good fight!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 12363
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#33 Post by lurker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:47 pm

i had pretty much the same experience when i quit smoking after 40 years. more money, more breath, and less stink. win win win. every once in a while i get a craving but it passes within 30 seconds or so.
creepy stalker dude :yahoo: aka lurch.

autovon
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#34 Post by autovon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:49 pm

UtahGuy202 wrote:That's awesome that you run a recovery farm. And if even cooler that you help those who've come straight out of jail. I have plenty friends who have been to jail so I believe everyone deserves a second chance.

As for glocks, mine was the first I shot. It definitely has a kick to it. I'm sure if I shot it for too long I'd probably hurt my hand. But I love it!
Thanks for the encouragement, brother! Second chances are our speciality... and third... and fourth. Lol I know I’ve needed them!

Congrats on your recovery, BTW.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

autovon
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#35 Post by autovon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:50 pm

lurker wrote:i had pretty much the same experience when i quit smoking after 40 years. more money, more breath, and less stink. win win win. every once in a while i get a craving but it passes within 30 seconds or so.
Nice work. Quitting smoking it a tough one for sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
UtahGuy202
Been around awhile
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#36 Post by UtahGuy202 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:55 pm

autovon wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:50 pm
lurker wrote:i had pretty much the same experience when i quit smoking after 40 years. more money, more breath, and less stink. win win win. every once in a while i get a craving but it passes within 30 seconds or so.
Nice work. Quitting smoking it a tough one for sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I quit smoking too! It'll have been 7 years this May. Aren't we a bunch of champions! :yahoo:

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 12363
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#37 Post by lurker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:59 pm

it's been 4 or 5 years now. i tried cutting back gradually, vaping, cold turkey. and then one day my dr told me i was going to need surgery and i'd recover faster if i quit and i did, something about that "do you want to live?" thing probably. one day it becomes real.
like i said, once in a while (longer and longer between as time passes) there's still the occasional craving when something reminds me, but 99.9% of the time i just don't think about it.
stay busy, keep yourself occupied, you'll be fine.
"bunch of champions" yes, yes we are!
creepy stalker dude :yahoo: aka lurch.

autovon
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#38 Post by autovon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:05 pm

UtahGuy202 wrote:
autovon wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:50 pm
lurker wrote:i had pretty much the same experience when i quit smoking after 40 years. more money, more breath, and less stink. win win win. every once in a while i get a craving but it passes within 30 seconds or so.
Nice work. Quitting smoking it a tough one for sure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I quit smoking too! It'll have been 7 years this May. Aren't we a bunch of champions! :yahoo:
Hell yeah!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 9146
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Location: LGC Member: Georgia
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#39 Post by K9s » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:21 pm

Gee whiz! What a bunch of quitters on this thread!

Image
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

autovon
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#40 Post by autovon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:41 pm

K9s wrote:Gee whiz! What a bunch of quitters on this thread!

Image
“Quit” making it complicated!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
UtahGuy202
Been around awhile
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#41 Post by UtahGuy202 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:44 pm

Haha

User avatar
lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 12363
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: spencer, nc.
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#42 Post by lurker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:45 pm

i should add at this point that i can quit buying guns anytime i want to. i occasionally want to, but then i get over it. see, i'm recovering! :whistle:
creepy stalker dude :yahoo: aka lurch.

autovon
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#43 Post by autovon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:25 pm

lurker wrote:i should add at this point that i can quit buying guns anytime i want to. i occasionally want to, but then i get over it. see, i'm recovering! :whistle:
Yup, same here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Mandaliberal
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#44 Post by Mandaliberal » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:10 pm

Hello from Florida & welcome to the club


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

autovon
Helpful Contributor
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:18 am
Contact:

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

#45 Post by autovon » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Mandaliberal wrote:Hello from Florida & welcome to the club


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests