Hi from Northern VA

I’ve been lurking here for a while but it’s time I introduced myself. I found my way here as I don’t usually appreciate a lot of the banter I see on other shooting forums and thought I might fit in better here. I enjoy trips to the local range and learning more about proper and safe handling of firearms. I am an AR15 enthusiast as my name might suggest.

Re: Hi from Northern VA

Well lots of us like AR-15's also. What other kinds of guns do you like to shoot?

Welcome from Lexington KY
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Thanks for the welcome!

Just the 5.56 so far - picked it up this year, first gun I have owned since plinking on the farm with a 22 when I was a kid 25 years ago. We took a class for it and have been working on our marksmanship.

Now I am working on my proficiency with a subcompact 9mm.

I am new to ARs, too, compared to milsurps. Prices are low these days, so it was the time to get one.

AR is easy to clean, ergonomic, and very light. Recoil is much like the AK-74.

Which 9mm?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Shield is a solid performer. Walther CCP gets good reviews.

Practice, practice, practice.

And consider a pump shotgun, bolt action rifle, and revolver to add to your list if they decide to ban semi-auto firearms. I am always happy to help you spend your money. :roflmao:
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Hi from NJ!
I'm new to ARs as well. Just got my first and only in August--an AR-10 in .308, DPMS pattern, with wood stock & foreend. Also have 9mm PCCs, and a .357 Marlin.

Where in NoVa are you? I used to live in Alexandria, first the city, then the part in Fairfax County that's unincorporated, but has an Alexandria mailing address.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I live in fairfax county near Vienna.
K9s wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:54 pm And consider a pump shotgun, bolt action rifle, and revolver to add to your list if they decide to ban semi-auto firearms. I am always happy to help you spend your money. :roflmao:
Duly noted, have had my eye on a Mossberg 500 but I have done an excellent job of spending my $ already so I’ve gotta back off for a while.

blackcarbine wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:26 am Thanks again for the welcome everyone!

I really enjoy shooting the AR15. Feels so much more precise than anything else I’ve handled. I feel like that precision makes it a safer tool than many other guns. Hoping I’ll get to continue enjoying it here in Virginia...
you might enjoy a bolt gun.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

blackcarbine wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 pm I live in fairfax county near Vienna.
K9s wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:54 pm And consider a pump shotgun, bolt action rifle, and revolver to add to your list if they decide to ban semi-auto firearms. I am always happy to help you spend your money. :roflmao:
Duly noted, have had my eye on a Mossberg 500 but I have done an excellent job of spending my $ already so I’ve gotta back off for a while.
We were on the other side, near Fort Belvoir, Beulah and Telegraph.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

blackcarbine wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 pm I live in fairfax county near Vienna.
If you like precision shooting, a bolt action is probably a better next move than a scatter gun. Very different animals.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Precision is important to me because I want to avoid hitting one of my dogs in a home invasion situation.

But I also need something good for taking down clays at the local range. I’ve got a couple friends that want to go and I don’t want to miss out on that fun! Thinking the 500 might work well for that and provide an ok backup for home defense. Not ideal, but not that big of a spread at that close range.