Do you REALLY need to wait for a frost?

Alright,

I haven't been rabbit hunting for years. I think the last time was around 2008 and was never very successful. I know we are supposed to wait for the first frost. Well, it's getting cold. A couple times this week it's supposed to dip down into the high 30s. I have this weekend free and want to take advantage of it and go bag some rabbits. Some say there's no need to wait anyway (the season is year round), but others are avid that if you don't wait you're putting yourself in danger. What do y'all think?

Re: Do you REALLY need to wait for a frost?

Always been told they were wormy before first freeze. Doesn't compute and doubt true, seems more a myth and google says same. I don't eat rabbit so never been exposed. Can you say "Thumper" !
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

My understanding is that it's meant to allow the rabbits with Tularemia (rabbit fever) to die off. While cooking the meat well *should* keep you safe from this disease, you can get it from handling blood and entrails too, so there's a risk just gutting a pre-freeze rabbit. I've seen Meateater Steven gut a rabbit and he never wears gloves, so maybe he isn't worried but then again I watched him eat rare black bear and get trichinosis so... YMMV. In my family the rule has always been no rabbit stew before the first frost. Even for pelts it's a good idea to wear gloves and long sleeves when cleaning summer bunnies. Alas, with California's eternal summer of hellfire, rabbit season really doesn't arrive here in SLO county until January.
Minute Of Average

Do you have to wait for a frost? Hell no. Hunters all up and down California are hitting sporting goods stores, and even the guys with tags. These dudes are going to blow a good percentage of the kids' college fund in the next several weeks on all manner of kit, some just regular products in camo for twice the price. If I were young, I'd open a sporting goods store that sold guns, ammo, and hunting kit--$190 for a frame to carry out the horns on, $300 for camo clothes, and $40 for camo boxers. I'd see those guys coming and drain their bank account in seventy four minutes. Retire in ten years I tell you what.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I'm late to the party. From my understanding over the decades, rabbit fever is a risk you take when you clean the rabbit with cuts on your hand as opposed to eating it. If you are jumpshooting them and you like to walk through the thorn patches as I do, your hands will get torn up.

If the rabbits are eating your garden and you pop them with the pellet gun, imo there is little risk provided you don't have a cut and wear a good pair of latex gloves. This assumes normal inspection - rabbit has some fat and organs are not discolored.

Our season starts in October. I dont get out rabbit hunting until around Christmas time so I don't worry about it.