Killing Black Bear Cubs and Wolf Pups

Trump administration eases restrictions on killing bear cubs and wolf pups in their dens in Alaska

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-admi ... QGSqNeVG14
Lawmakers and native tribes in Alaska praised the law change, saying it puts the power back in the hands of the state.

"The previous rule was implemented without adequate tribal consultation, in disregard to rural Alaska's dependence on wild food resources," stated Victor Joseph, Chief and Chairman of the Tanana Chiefs Conference, which represents 42 tribes. "The previous limitations enacted in 2015 threatened our way of life and our centuries-long sustainable management practices."

Re: Killing Black Bear Cubs and Wolf Pups

Uday and Qusay Trump are chomping at the bit to get there as soon as big daddy is reelected.
Only one of Trump's kids hunts, though the other one went with him to Africa once. The one who does hunt primarily hunts upstate NY from a tree stand. It's close. Once a year he treats himself to a two week backpack hunt in the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia. It's not known which species he hunts or anything else. Backpack hunting above treeline is a young man's pursuit, he probably knows his years are numbered. I don't like Trump or his son but I can't fault his hunting except that he burns lots of carbon getting there.

As for pups and cubs in AK, you need to see it from their perspective. Much of Alaska lives below the poverty line in remote villages. Indians. They are subsistence hunters. They kill as many predators as they can to reduce competition for moose and caribou. They are what is called "food insecure". I try not to judge others.

tagsoup wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:38 pm
Uday and Qusay Trump are chomping at the bit to get there as soon as big daddy is reelected.
Only one of Trump's kids hunts, though the other one went with him to Africa once. The one who does hunt primarily hunts upstate NY from a tree stand. It's close. Once a year he treats himself to a two week backpack hunt in the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia. It's not known which species he hunts or anything else. Backpack hunting above treeline is a young man's pursuit, he probably knows his years are numbered. I don't like Trump or his son but I can't fault his hunting except that he burns lots of carbon getting there.

As for pups and cubs in AK, you need to see it from their perspective. Much of Alaska lives below the poverty line in remote villages. Indians. They are subsistence hunters. They kill as many predators as they can to reduce competition for moose and caribou. They are what is called "food insecure". I try not to judge others.
I agree. But I'll limit my non-judgement to members of indigenous tribes. Wealthy ass holes from the lower 48? Well that's another story.

I can see it from both sides... Personally I dislike hunting anything that looks like my dog, which pretty much takes Yotes and wolves out of the equation, though we have taken a few over the years when they get in the way of our chickens' right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of egg laying happiness. As a lifelong hunter, I also tend to be a big fan of Fair Chase, and shooting something while it sleeps feels unsportsmanlike to me. But then, I've got a good job and a handy neighborhood grocery store, so I take no judgement upon anyone who lacks these things and hunts for subsistence and/or due to food insecurity. All Don Jr. seems to be hunting these days is more blow.
Crow
Minute Of Average

DougB1946 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:06 pm
lurker wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:09 pm people eat wolf and bear cubs?
No, but bears kill and eat wolf pups when ever possible, and wolves steal bear finds. The food bowl is limited in the northland, and reducing competition is a survival tactic. And the skins make nice mittens..
You might be a bit wrong.

https://anna.fi/reseptit/mureaksi-haudu ... rhunniskaa

There are literally dozens of recipes for bear meat in various forms in Finland. If you have to kill an animal, eat it. That’s my cultural perspective. I didn’t look up “pup burgers” , but I’m sure there is a recipe somewhere. Since bears are traditionally the totem animal of my ancestors, I would have to pay my respects before eating “veli karhu”. Eat hardy y’all!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.