Re: How do you debate anti-hunters?

Hiker wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:30 pm Yeah, OK, I'm an anti hunter. I've been a vegetarian for 44 years. I have no pets because I won't buy meat to feed to them.

I do not attempt to change hunters minds about hunting because I don't think I can. I am more of a live and let live kind of person. I have said to conservative hunters, "hey, I won't mess with you for being a hunter, if you don't mess with me for being a lesbian. We leave each other alone, how 'bout it?" Most of the time they agree.

If you shoot it and don't eat it, you suck. Those pecker-heads that kill big game for fun, also suck.
I hear hunters say, "I never shoot unless I have a good clean shot, and I never miss." Bullshit. I've lived in the country and heard those guys taking their 3 shots with their semiauto in 1-2 seconds. They're just blazing away.

Then there is the guy who buys a 4 wheeler, to get to the hunting site 200 yards off the road. Then buy a $1000 trailer to haul the 4 wheeler and a 40,000 4WD pickup to pull the trailer with the 4 wheeler. He has a thousand dollar rifle, a 500 dollar scope, and expensive scent free camo. He's had an automated feeder in the woods for weeks, and all those top-of-the-line field cameras. So after spending $75,000 he tries to claim, "It's all about putting food on the table!!!" :roflmao: :roflmao: :no: :no: :no:

I am very happy that there is a separate hunting section on this forum. In general I stay out of it. So folks go out and enjoy your hunting. The vegetarians and the hunters seem to always get along on this forum, but of course, we're liberals.
:lol: :D :laugh: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Of course, it IS possible to have a bunch of that stuff UNconnected with hunting--I have a very nice 4x4 pickup, an expensive (motorcycle) trailer, my .357 Marlin & $150 Sig scope, and my brother has a pickup, a 4 wheeler, and a 12 gauge...neither of us hunt... :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:

As for the cameras, scent-free cam, feeder (isn't that illegal, like hunting by a salt-lick?), there's also the deer stand, "solar generator" and beer cooler! :drunklep:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Hiker wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:30 pm Yeah, OK, I'm an anti hunter. I've been a vegetarian for 44 years. I have no pets because I won't buy meat to feed to them.

I do not attempt to change hunters minds about hunting because I don't think I can. I am more of a live and let live kind of person. I have said to conservative hunters, "hey, I won't mess with you for being a hunter, if you don't mess with me for being a lesbian. We leave each other alone, how 'bout it?" Most of the time they agree.

If you shoot it and don't eat it, you suck. Those pecker-heads that kill big game for fun, also suck.
I hear hunters say, "I never shoot unless I have a good clean shot, and I never miss." Bullshit. I've lived in the country and heard those guys taking their 3 shots with their semiauto in 1-2 seconds. They're just blazing away.

Then there is the guy who buys a 4 wheeler, to get to the hunting site 200 yards off the road. Then buy a $1000 trailer to haul the 4 wheeler and a 40,000 4WD pickup to pull the trailer with the 4 wheeler. He has a thousand dollar rifle, a 500 dollar scope, and expensive scent free camo. He's had an automated feeder in the woods for weeks, and all those top-of-the-line field cameras. So after spending $75,000 he tries to claim, "It's all about putting food on the table!!!" :roflmao: :roflmao: :no: :no: :no:

I am very happy that there is a separate hunting section on this forum. In general I stay out of it. So folks go out and enjoy your hunting. The vegetarians and the hunters seem to always get along on this forum, but of course, we're liberals.
Being a vegetarian or vegan is a personal choice, just as eating meat is a personal choice. I think context matters. It seems like the anti crowd have knee jerk reactions when they see someone with a deer skull mounted on their wall and assume the hunter is only trophy hunting or just likes to kill animals because they can. This is one of the misconceptions about hunting that bothers me. It’s about tradition, being connected to the land, knowing where your food comes from and conservation/preservation. There’s no question that poachers and the like are scum but to make broad generalizations about the entire hunting community is harmful.

Ignorance is an affliction that most people suffer from about many different subjects. It's ok till they start to spout off like some kind of expert on the subject.

I look at people who lump hunters and poachers together the same as I look at people who lump all Muslims and terrorists together, or claim all members of the LGBTQ community are pedophiles and a threat to children.

It is often framed as a rural-urban divide. Them big city vegans are tellin' us we can't hunt.

Personally, I don't ever want to kill an animal to eat again. As long as I can afford to buy meat in a store, I will do it. I do understand what it is like to hunt and fish for food. No fancy truck or trailer or camo needed. Maybe it is not as efficient or comfortable, but it doesn't matter. If people cannot afford to buy meat and want to eat it, let them hunt. If you don't want them to hunt, pay them enough to eat.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I don't hunt. I respect vegans, as long as they don't preach to my face about me being immoral for eating meat. Meat-eating anti hunters are ignorant hypocrites.

As long as hunting is properly and smartly regulated, it actually preserves the animal population. Chickens and cows are never going to be extinct because we are heavily invested in their survival.

In Africa if the surrounding communities derive economic benefit from the survival of the endangered species, they will help to preserve the animals. While I don't kill any animal that I don't eat (unless they're dangerous and/or pests), I support government-licensed trophy hunting, because they use the exorbitant fees to support the preservation of the rest.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

eelj wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:25 am Ignorance is an affliction that most people suffer from about many different subjects. It's ok till they start to spout off like some kind of expert on the subject.

I look at people who lump hunters and poachers together the same as I look at people who lump all Muslims and terrorists together, or claim all members of the LGBTQ community are pedophiles and a threat to children.
Yes, and as gun owners we also want to conquer ignorance about gun ownership and the 2A. Ignorance covers the whole political spectrum.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

You don't debate them. They are talking emotion and opinion. Facts don't matter, at least until the deer clean out their organic garden or winds up on their windshield at 65 mph.

In Minnesota, interfering with a hunt is a crime. It's my personal belief that single crop agriculture can be more harmful to animal populations than hunting.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

K9s wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:43 pm
GoldenRetrieversRule wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:31 pm An environmentalist friend of ours posted on facebook about how she saw a hunting blind, it had a hunter in it (who actually stepped out and told her, when she asked, that it probably wasn't safe to walk her dog there during the two week deer shotgun season), then went on about how she isn't against hunting but they need to keep their firearms away from her hiking trails (it's on watershed property, totally legal and he had a permit to be there, she didn't, and she can't have her dog there either), and then her other friends piled on with the anti-hunter stuff. I tried to educate and say how the sporting community has done a lot more than the liberal community to preserve open spaces and bring wildlife back from the edge of extinction. She got all worked up about it. It's a losing battle.
Yes, I have often wondered why the pro-2A and pro-environment groups didn't coexist better. I guess it is because both groups have so many diametrically opposed a-holes.

If someone could harness both groups...
That was EXACTLY what I said to her and it went right over her head!! The two groups just never ever cross paths. Because I belong to a sportsman's club AND a UU church I get to see how much they have in common on these issues. I think they've been intentionally set against each other by certain entities to reduce the formidable force they would be if they worked together. Kind of like the poor whites and former slaves during reconstruction.
"...just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" ~Mark Twain

GoldenRetrieversRule wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:34 pm
K9s wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:43 pm
GoldenRetrieversRule wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:31 pm An environmentalist friend of ours posted on facebook about how she saw a hunting blind, it had a hunter in it (who actually stepped out and told her, when she asked, that it probably wasn't safe to walk her dog there during the two week deer shotgun season), then went on about how she isn't against hunting but they need to keep their firearms away from her hiking trails (it's on watershed property, totally legal and he had a permit to be there, she didn't, and she can't have her dog there either), and then her other friends piled on with the anti-hunter stuff. I tried to educate and say how the sporting community has done a lot more than the liberal community to preserve open spaces and bring wildlife back from the edge of extinction. She got all worked up about it. It's a losing battle.
Yes, I have often wondered why the pro-2A and pro-environment groups didn't coexist better. I guess it is because both groups have so many diametrically opposed a-holes.

If someone could harness both groups...
That was EXACTLY what I said to her and it went right over her head!! The two groups just never ever cross paths. Because I belong to a sportsman's club AND a UU church I get to see how much they have in common on these issues. I think they've been intentionally set against each other by certain entities to reduce the formidable force they would be if they worked together. Kind of like the poor whites and former slaves during reconstruction.
I think you are right. They rarely cross paths and only know about each other what they are "told"
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt