Re: I hear a goose honking in the night

Canada geese make fine sausage. The breasts are the part most worth eating. I have dispatched and eaten injured Canada Geese with an air rifle. A powerful rifle and head shots are essential. They are becoming very resident in this area and are kinda becoming a nuisance.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I live along the Great Pacific Flyway in northern California, and we have a whole winter of geese and ducks flying and talking over our house. I really enjoy listening. Chico is in a rural area but we have lights, so as the birds fly at night, the city lights illumine them from below. And five minutes outside of the city center they're in the boonies again. We have flooded rice fields up here where they winter. Lots of bird hunters, true.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Total novice when it comes to geese, thankfully the internet has almost everything. This is about buying and cooking a goose.
Typically the goose that you're going to get in the store is from a place in South Dakota called Schiltz Goose Farm. They pretty much dominate the goose market in the U.S. They actually have a pretty nice product.
The Schiltz goose is a proprietary breed. It's based off the Emden, which is the big, giant, white goose. But it has a couple of other breeds mixed in with it to basically just suit whatever environment the Schiltz farm has. It's a big goose. They're usually between 12 and 16 pounds, but you can get them a little lighter as well.

They are all grass-fed pretty much because geese have to be raised free range. If you confine them, they die. Geese, in general, have to be raised on grass because that's what they eat. No one has been able to figure out how to breed a goose that will eat chicken feed, for example. It wrecks them and then they just die. It's an interesting throwback to old, old-style agriculture. Geese also are relatively unique in that they pretty much only lay eggs for one period in a year, and that's the spring. So there's a seasonal crop of geese. They don't really start coming to market until late September -- they're ready right in time for the holidays. It's a natural seasonality that makes goose such a good holiday meal.
The first thing you need to know is the sweet spot of cooking a goose breast is somewhere around 135 to 145 degrees Fahrenheit internal temperature.
It's pink, yes -- medium-rare to medium. The sweet spot for the legs is somewhere around 175 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit, give or take, they're pretty forgiving. That's a huge spread in temperature. You can't really pull it off if you are stuck on a whole Norman Rockwell "I've got to carve the goose at the table" image. If you can get away from that, which I highly recommend you do, you can have your cake and eat it too.
https://www.splendidtable.org/story/coo ... render-out

Learned something.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan