Hunting Buddies/Mentors

So just throwing this out there. After perusing this board and other similar ones, there seem to be a lot of folks who are interested in getting into hunting, but don't know how or don't have the confidence.

I'm actually in a similar situation. I went out a few years ago after a gentleman from another board set up a "hunting mentor" program where he hooked me up with another forum user who was an experienced hunter, and let us use his property to hunt. I successfully took a fairly large doe, field dressed her, and had her processed. she was delicious. But since then, I've bought a license every year, but have yet to go out, partially because of time, partially because I'd be alone, and that's enough of an excuse to sleep in.

So what I'm proposing here, if you're interested in helping others on here learn to hunt (anything), or in search for a mentor or buddy, leave a reply with your area and what you hunt or want to hunt, and see if anyone can help you out.

For me, I'm in Fairfax County, Virginia, and I know enough to maybe be successful with public land hunting deer, so if anyone wants to come sit in the woods with me some time, PM me.

And if anyone's willing to take me out waterfowl hunting, PM me for that, too.

Re: Hunting Buddies/Mentors

JohnNewell wrote:Ditto here in South Texas. I'd love to learn the basics of hog hunting.
Just put in for a drawn public hunt in north Texas up by OK at Hagerman Wildlife Refuge. $5 to get in the drawing I’ll figure the rest out when/if I get drawn. I’m doing the research now and will be scouting for the next couple of months in a DIY attempt to start hunting.