Hunting Noob

Actually can you call yourself a noob if you haven't even started? :confused:

Anyway I would like some info on how to get started in hunting. I live in Augusta and have 4 wma's near me (phinizy swamp, spirit creek, di-lane, alexander tract*bowhuntin*)

I'm taking an online hunter's ed course and I still have the .22 but plan on getting a shotgun soon.

Re: Hunting Noob

Find a friend or family member who hunts. You can buy lessons on shooting, and practice with sporting clays with a shotgun can be a sport by its self. Where I live, if bird hunting on a WMA without a dog, you are just having a nice day in the great outdoors. There are private game farms where you can hire a guide and rent a dog. Pricy, but the good ones are close to hunting.
Or just read some good hunting books and wonder around a WMA. You shoot it, you eat it (you don't have to eat the trees you hit).
Many parts of a pine tree are edible.
Euell Gibbons
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

AlexaSaturn wrote:Actually can you call yourself a noob if you haven't even started? :confused:

Anyway I would like some info on how to get started in hunting. I live in Augusta and have 4 wma's near me (phinizy swamp, spirit creek, di-lane, alexander tract*bowhuntin*)

I'm taking an online hunter's ed course and I still have the .22 but plan on getting a shotgun soon.
I would say just get outdoors, even if it’s without a gun. Get out into the woods before dawn, watch the forest come awake, learn the habits of the game you’re hunting, etc. For me, there’s no such thing as a failed day hunting, whether I shoot anything or not. Know your laws and rules, and then just go out and do it.
Do you believe in unlikelihoods?

Yeah, just git 'yerself a big bowie knife and start walking the woods you are interested in. Take some hunter courses if necessary for the permit but you'll learn more by opening up your senses to the woods. Oh, and a bright fluorescent colored cap. Don't forget the bright cap for safety.

If other hunters see you pokin 'round there with just a bowie knife, tell them you're tracking a wild boar they'll think you're bad-ass. :bananadance:

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/woman-kil ... ife-video/
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi