Money
Total votes: 16 (11%)
Knowledge
Total votes: 44 (30%)
Equipment
Total votes: 15 (10%)
Total votes: 145

Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

Over the years I've heard lots of folks mention they would like to do some hunting at some point but most never seem to.

Having taken the sport up seriously only as an adult and not coming from a hunting family background I understand the challenges but have found them overcome-able.

This thread was initiated By Carl Spacklers comment "I'm forty and haven't been hunting yet" or something like that in DCG's thread about his sons first deer. I know Carl owns a suitable rifle and lives somewhere I understand there is ample available public land and game to be had. Maybe some of the hunters around here can use it as a place to answer questions and encourage our would be hunters to actually go out and give it a shot.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Re: Whats Stopping You From Hunting?

All of the above. Aside from my AK with a 5rd mag, I don't have a suitable rifle. The classes for licensing are something like 12-18hrs,broken up into consecutive classes over multiple weeks, and with my obnoxious schedule, I can't plan my time like that. The only person I know, and trust to teach me the ins and outs of actually hunting lives 3hrs away, and has a demanding job and family. He can however, plan his hunting far enough in advance to use his allotted time, which he has to purchase in advance to use the public lands. No private landowners that I know in the area have enough space to safely hunt on.

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. I'm 33 and I've never hunted, BUT I love venison!
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

I have some advice, to be successful deer hunting it helps to also be a grouse hunter. Buy a platte book for the county you plan on hunting in it will tell you where the tax forfeit public use county land is. It's not that easy to just "drive up north" and blindly start hunting. Really good accessable land tends to have established hunting groups that are generational. This year I have been "accepted" into a well established group since I have sold my lake cabin this summer and that was where I had hunted my whole life. If when out grouse hunting you notice deer stands in the trees that means on opening day they will be occupied with deer hunters. The DNR has maps and lists of areas that are hunting preserves open to public use. In Northern Mn I know about the Kimberly preserve by McGregor that has maintained trails.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

I went hunting with goosekiller last year and saw that he has skill in prepping the site and calling them in. I would have tried to clean it like a chicken if he hadn't shown me how to simply remove the breasts.

I don't have any doubt I could hit and kill a deer but after that I'd just be dragging a carcass around. :crazy:

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

This.

If you are able, save for them a place inside of you

And save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.

Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always.

Take what they have left and what they taught you with their dying

And keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide

And feel safe to call the war insane,

Take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Major Michael Davis O'Donnell of Springfield, Ill. was a helicopter pilot killed in action a short time after he wrote these departing words.

I chose knowledge and equipment.

Equipment mainly because I have no where to store the meat. I've been wanting to buy a chest freezer, but never have. I have the appropriate guns to hunt deer, geese, ducks, etc. I don't really have appropriate clothing either.

Knowledge because I've never done it. I do know someone who would probably be willing to take me out if I asked.
-+-+-+-+
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space. Everything else is just opinion." -Democritus 
-+-+-+-+-
Come check out my custom 1911 grips and other wooden items at my Etsy store.

eelj wrote:I have some advice, to be successful deer hunting it helps to also be a grouse hunter. Buy a platte book for the county you plan on hunting in it will tell you where the tax forfeit public use county land is. It's not that easy to just "drive up north" and blindly start hunting. Really good accessable land tends to have established hunting groups that are generational. This year I have been "accepted" into a well established group since I have sold my lake cabin this summer and that was where I had hunted my whole life. If when out grouse hunting you notice deer stands in the trees that means on opening day they will be occupied with deer hunters. The DNR has maps and lists of areas that are hunting preserves open to public use. In Northern Mn I know about the Kimberly preserve by McGregor that has maintained trails.
This goes to what holds me back. Specific knowledge about where to hunt.

That, plus the unsuitability of my Prius for accessing back country hunting areas.

I would be inclined to hunt turkey, or perhaps pig, before I would hunt deer.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

A friend of mine asked me if I would be interested in hunting and all I could think about was getting up early in the morning and trapsing around in the cold damp woods. And in the unlikely event I shot a deer having to clean it, haul it, and butcher it. For me it's just pure laziness.

Although the allure of it is tempting.

ChazRI wrote:A friend of mine asked me if I would be interested in hunting and all I could think about was getting up early in the morning and trapsing around in the cold damp woods. And in the unlikely event I shot a deer having to clean it, haul it, and butcher it. For me it's just pure laziness.

Although the allure of it is tempting.
My thoughts exactly.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Getting away with a friend for a day or two, I'd do in a minute. There are hunting grounds 30 minutes away.

It isn't the time, I can manage that. I've got the equipment, but I would borrow a better rifle than my M44.

What it is, is my wife. I will be in the doghouse if I were to go kill one of those cute deer that never hurt anybody. She doesn't eat red meat, and she doesn't like duck. And my daughters would be mad at me too. They get sad when I gut a fish. So it is a relationship thing.
Capitalism was reasonably content under Hitler, happy under Mussolini, very happy under Franco and delirious under General Pinochet. -- John Ralston Saul

Yossarian wrote:Getting away with a friend for a day or two, I'd do in a minute. There are hunting grounds 30 minutes away.

It isn't the time, I can manage that. I've got the equipment, but I would borrow a better rifle than my M44.

What it is, is my wife. I will be in the doghouse if I were to go kill one of those cute deer that never hurt anybody. She doesn't eat red meat, and she doesn't like duck. And my daughters would be mad at me too. They get sad when I gut a fish. So it is a relationship thing.
"If Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy." QFT
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

When I was younger I hunted all the time, mostly small game, now a days I can't do much walking bad hips and back, I live in the middle of a oak and hickory woodland and so we see lots of deer, turkey, squirrel and a few cotton tails, I never acquired a taste for deer, but I do like tree rats and I am able to set in my back yard and get a few each season.. A short walk down a timber path to an open farm field and i am able to see coyotes and red fox and have the option of getting one once in a while although I normally won't shoot them if I and the folks around have not had any problems with them killing farm animals.... I love watching them they are pretty animals.

When we hunted My dad and uncles always told us to only take what we needed and never waste what we took that has always been my way the old man was a good teacher.

I did not answer the poll simply because I could not. Hunting is hard, cold, wet, windy, frustrating, exhausting, expensive, exhilarating, brutal, spiritual, sad, and exciting work. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be called hunting.

Hunting is taking some form of weapon and seeking out and stalking an animal so that you can take from it the only thing that matters to it, it's life. You take it's life so that you may feed your life. It doesn't matter whether you are a herbivore, omnivore, or carnivore. Something MUST die for you to live. Some folks think that it doesn't count if you eat only vegetables because they don't think. That is nonsense. Every plant loves it's own life as much as any animal. Love of one's own life IS the law of survival. Hunting forces the hunter to confront these truths. The hunter loves his prey, finds it beautiful, has no ill will towards it. The realization that life demands a blood sacrifice is the truth of every meal and the heart of every feast. The hunter knows this.

If you want to hunt, ask around and find out if others near you hunt. If not, contact your local wildlife management office. Find out regulations and locations of public lands. Comply with all regulations. Become comfortable with your weapon of choice to where you can put a bullet in a soccer ball. Whatever is your longest range where you can put a bullet in the ball 100% of the time is your maximum range for hunting. Find public lands and start walking them before any season begins. Study the ground and see what lives there and how it lives. Read books about animal behavior and animal lifeways. Read hunting publications and garner valuable knowledge. Go into the world and hunt. Do not be discouraged.

Hunt. Harvest. Give thanks.

I love to hunt. I love going out in the fall and walking alone in the cool of the woods with a rifle or shotgun to hand. Perhaps a pheasant will flush. Perhaps a squirrel will be too curious for it's own good. Perhaps a bunny will zig when it should have zagged.

I have no problem with killing a critter, preparing it and eating it and I only hunt what I can eat.

I have my licenses - small game, deer gun, pheasant & duck stamps - in my wallet.

I live in the Wisconsin north woods - there's national forest a half hour from here with ever kind of game you'd hunt in the woods, streams & clearings.

I have a good rife & an excellent shotgun with plenty of ammo.

What I don't have is enough time. As it is there isn't enough time to get done what must be done in the day. Finding time to carve out for hunting is a hard thing all too many days. I have arranged to be the cabin in Holcomb of a family friend for opening weekend though & I hope to get out for a bit of time next week while my boy is at school and walk through the fallen leaves looking for a squirrel or to puddle jump a mallard drake.

Oh, & GG, thanks for the Major's words.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I'm going to get out with you mason you can have whatever I get since I live by a great butcher I'm good.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Paladin wrote:I'm going to get out with you mason you can have whatever I get since I live by a great butcher I'm good.
I'm sure your butcher would love to turn whatever you get into tasty, tasty sausage. :)

There is not a single actual independent butcher within 30 miles of me. :cry:
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

a genuine lack of interest. i have a small herd of deer that use my backyard as a short cut to their water source. I enjoy watching them...so does my dog. I couldn't imagine shooting one, they're like old friends. though i would prefer they not eat spouses roses.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote:a genuine lack of interest. i have a small herd of deer that use my backyard as a short cut to their water source. I enjoy watching them...so does my dog. I couldn't imagine shooting one, they're like old friends. though i would prefer they not eat spouses roses.
Its amazing how deer love flowers. They have become such pests in cities where I live that both Duluth Mn and Superior Wisc. have special bow seasons with in the city limits. Hunting isn't for every one but I enjoy it.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Mason wrote:
Paladin wrote:I'm going to get out with you mason you can have whatever I get since I live by a great butcher I'm good.
I'm sure your butcher would love to turn whatever you get into tasty, tasty sausage. :)

There is not a single actual independent butcher within 30 miles of me. :cry:
Savages.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

CDFingers wrote:It's easier to go to the shopping market...

CDFingers
Starting to get cheaper to hunt. Even with the higher than average number of head of cattle being brought to market due to the drought, beef hasn't gotten any cheaper.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.