hunting clothing

What does every body wear when hunting? My self because of the normal temps during hunting seasons in Mn I have found wool to be the best hunting duds. Actually all natural fibers absorb light rather then reflect it and it seems to me that most critters are spooked by movement more than color. Natural fibers are also quieter that the synthetics. For deer hunting I have used Bemidji Woolen Mills blaze orange jacket and pants with a blaze orange Elmer Fudd wool hat.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Re: hunting clothing

+1 on the wool. Super fibers have proven to be anything but super for me. For deer season (except this past season, which was warm) it's a pair of Filson wool pants and a Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser coat (topped off with a blaze vest). Underneath is an assortment of layers appropriate to the day's temperature.
Squaring the Circle

retrojoe wrote:+1 on the wool. Super fibers have proven to be anything but super for me. For deer season (except this past season, which was warm) it's a pair of Filson wool pants and a Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser coat (topped off with a blaze vest). Underneath is an assortment of layers appropriate to the day's temperature.
I love Filson woolens and I wish they made blaze orange but I have never seen one hence the Bemidji woolens. Actually the Bemidji jacket now is made with 100% wool and is as well made as the Filson but the caped design of the Filson is brilliant and with no exposed seems across the shoulders makes it very water proof.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Wool and Polypropylene. If its really warm I wear winter-weight BDU stye Poly/Cotton gear but only if the temp absolutely will not go below 50. I have a pair of Cabelas windstopper lined wool pants custom hemmed to 36" which I love. If they ever wear out I'm screwed as they aren't offered anymore. My jacket and gloves are Arctic Shield which is great in both the stand and moving so long as the weather is below freezing. Above freezing I need to be careful not overheat myself and sweat since it doesn't breathe as well as advertised but it sure keeps me warm in the stand.

My big rule is NEVER any cotton below fifty degrees, but in general no cotton at all.

What I really want is an M65 field jacket made from wool/winstopper but have yet to find one which is long enough for me, affordable and in an acceptable camo pattern or color.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Yeah, blaze was a consideration but I got the charcoal coat and it serves universal duty in winter. I can wear it the field and then wear it to work over dress clothes the next day (after pulling off all the burrs). I think I'll get one of Bemidji's blaze wool shirts, though (thanks for reminding me of their existence and the positive review). Will do nicely for October hunting and these warmer gun deer seasons.
Squaring the Circle

eelj,

according to Paladin 12 feet.

In reality 6'4", 200lbs.

(Sorry, I"m getting used to the moderator controls, I clicked the wrong button and then deleted your post by mistake. :oops: )
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:eelj,

In reality 6'4", 200lbs.

(Sorry, I"m getting used to the moderator controls, I clicked the wrong button and then deleted your post by mistake. :oops: )
Holy crap dude, you must be like a twig, you need a steak.
If I hear "crony" capitalism one more time I'm going to be ill. Capitalism is capitalism, dog eats dog and one dog ends up on top, and he defends that place with all the power he's accumulated.

gendoikari87 wrote:
Mason wrote:eelj,

In reality 6'4", 200lbs.

Holy crap dude, you must be like a twig, you need a steak.
Actually, I'm just in shape. Ideal body weight for me is 189lbs. I never eat a piece of meat bigger than a deck of cards and rarely more than once a day. I have a few emergency beers stored around my belly which is the extra 11lbs.

-John Cleese

dang, my goal weight is 235. I wouldn't really want to be any less than that.
If I hear "crony" capitalism one more time I'm going to be ill. Capitalism is capitalism, dog eats dog and one dog ends up on top, and he defends that place with all the power he's accumulated.

You lucky bastards. I am allergic to wool. Goose down, too. When i was 10, my old man worked overtime in the steel mill so he could afford to buy me a reral live goose down jacket to keep my ice-fishing-and-muskrat-trapping little ass warm. Christmas day found my happy behind falling asleep in that coat. When i woke up, my eyes were swollen nearly shut. Back to a half dozen of his old sweaters and "waffle shirts".

To me, breathable, waterproof, and silent are key. I probably have at least ten jackets, several pairs of bibs, and three sets of coveralls in all of the various modern materials. Add to that a dozen different pairs of gloves in various weights and a half dozen pair of serious boots.

As far as staying warm, i will offer the following:
1) Wear insulated bibs - it keeps that cold wind off of your lower back and preserves core temp. I prefer suspenders to a belt for comfort.
2) Poly-propylene(wicking) socks, then heavy socks with a Tosti Toes warmer on the bottom of the toe. These are never left behind as my feet get cold easy - probly due to mild frostbite over the years.
3) Get a neck gaiter, wear turtlenecks, or steal one of your wife's scarves(preferrably bright pink with kitties on it). You will be amazed at how keeping the wind off your neck will beat the cold.
4) If it is brutally cold, wear Underarmor. Good stuff, Maynard.
5) Don't sweat. Remove what you must to avoid this if at all possible.
6) Don't expect fleece to keep you warm unless it is windproofed.
7) Eat well before you leave and ingest some carbs/calories during your hunt.
8) Set your hunting buddies on fire.
9) Headgear must be comfortable and warm.
"Endeavor to persevere."

You lucky bastards. I am allergic to wool. Goose down, too. When i was 10, my old man worked overtime in the steel mill so he could afford to buy me a reral live goose down jacket to keep my ice-fishing-and-muskrat-trapping little ass warm. Christmas day found my happy behind falling asleep in that coat. When i woke up, my eyes were swollen nearly shut. Back to a half dozen of his old sweaters and "waffle shirts".
Thats a bummer the only thing worse would be allergic to latex and single. I've found that in extreme cold and I mean spit freezing in mid air cold that the clothes absolutely must be loose enough to allow an air exchange. But only Inuit hunt in those conditions. I like wool and if its real good wool it doesn't itch, is wind and water proof quiet and looks great. Mason I'm guessing you are built like my wifes sibs all legs. I'm 6'4" also but I have an inseam of 33.

goosekiller wrote:You lucky bastards. I am allergic to wool. Goose down, too. When i was 10, my old man worked overtime in the steel mill so he could afford to buy me a reral live goose down jacket to keep my ice-fishing-and-muskrat-trapping little ass warm. Christmas day found my happy behind falling asleep in that coat. When i woke up, my eyes were swollen nearly shut. Back to a half dozen of his old sweaters and "waffle shirts".

To me, breathable, waterproof, and silent are key. I probably have at least ten jackets, several pairs of bibs, and three sets of coveralls in all of the various modern materials. Add to that a dozen different pairs of gloves in various weights and a half dozen pair of serious boots.

1) Wear insulated bibs - it keeps that cold wind off of your lower back and preserves core temp. I prefer suspenders to a belt for comfort.
2) Poly-propylene(wicking) socks, then heavy socks with a Tosti Toes warmer on the bottom of the toe. These are never left behind as my feet get cold easy - probly due to mild frostbite over the years.
3) Get a neck gaiter, wear turtlenecks, or steal one of your wife's scarves(preferrably bright pink with kitties on it). You will be amazed at how keeping the wind off your neck will beat the cold.
:lol: #8

Yeah bibs are the shit in almost every situation. Anybody who works the water knows cause it's always fuckin windy. I like the wind/waterproof emphesis and I used to have underarmor, wouldn't go sit without it. I live in N. Ga. now so hunting wouldn't be right cause of the temperature. Today I could have sat in the self climber I have in the back yard in Paladin's shorts and flipflops. Maybe an umbrella, pink with kitten's.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

Sonofagun wrote:
goosekiller wrote:You lucky bastards. I am allergic to wool. Goose down, too. When i was 10, my old man worked overtime in the steel mill so he could afford to buy me a reral live goose down jacket to keep my ice-fishing-and-muskrat-trapping little ass warm. Christmas day found my happy behind falling asleep in that coat. When i woke up, my eyes were swollen nearly shut. Back to a half dozen of his old sweaters and "waffle shirts".

:lol: #8

Yeah bibs are the shit in almost every situation. Anybody who works the water knows cause it's always fuckin windy. I like the wind/waterproof emphesis and I used to have underarmor, wouldn't go sit without it. I live in N. Ga. now so hunting wouldn't be right cause of the temperature. Today I could have sat in the self climber I have in the back yard in Paladin's shorts and flipflops. Maybe an umbrella, pink with kitten's.
:blink: Dude I put a jacket on to go to the mail box....

This is seemingly an old thread, but I'll add my two cents.

The short list of things you will absolutely need: 1) Good socks: Merino wool rocks, at least two pairs 2) Good long johns: Their job is to transfer moisture, not keep you warm and synthetics or merino wool (NOT COTTON) is what you need. I usually use "medium weight" 3)Good sleeping bag: if you get cold at night you will be MISERABLE 4) Good sleeping pad: if you sleep on the ground, you will be cold and uncomfortable. If you sleep on a cot without a pad you will be cold on the bottom.
As already stated, sounds like you really have all other things you need already. Keep your feet happy, keep dry, and sleep warm at night and you will do well.
https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-hunting-gloves/