Re: Marvel for Dummies.

sig230 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:23 pm I rather believe that mine may well simply be screwed. I really enjoyed the Tolkien books and the Kipling books and even the Rowling books and even George RR Martins Fire & Ice novels but can't stand the movie or TV adaptations and have never been able to watch a single Star Wars movie in one sitting.
I enjoy serious entertainment as much as the next guy. Some of my favorite movies of all time are The Shawshank Redemption and Good Will Hunting. I have the ability to compartmentalize between the book and the movie, I treat each like its own story. Like two persons going through the same experience but having slightly different stories, due to different vantage points and memory imperfection.

Most Marvel movies of recent years are mindless entertainment, and some are more comedy than drama. I watched them mostly for cool special effects and CGI. Many are about as entertaining as watching a Disney street parade, I don’t expect anything beyond cool tricks, flashy colors, and pretty people.

Then again I may have an extra wide range of enjoyment. I love jamon Iberico de Bellota costing $200 a pound, but I’m still ok with a Walmart ham costing $3 a pound.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

I wasn't into comics when I was growing up, but did watch Superman films and the original Star Wars films. Tolkien was popular when I was in my teens so I read all the books, but never expected films to be made from them. College kids now are the Harry Potter generation, I never read those books of any of JK Rowlings works.

If I'm being asked to suspend belief to watch a movie or series, it better be good. I enjoyed Michael Jackson's LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit, Deadpool was funny because of Ryan Reynolds, I tried to watch Iron Fist but I gave up... Christopher Nolan's Batman was good, though dark.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sig230 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:51 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:22 pm I lost almost all my interest in both the Marvel and DC movie worlds. A few of the firsts, like Michael Keaton as Batman and Robert Downey, Jr. as Ironman, and the first X-Men movie with Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart were all pretty good.

But sequels are, almost always, by definition, progressively worse than the original. And if one HAPPENS to be better (like The Empire Strikes Back, T-2, Godfather II, or Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan) it's a rare pearl. Most really suck and suck badly.

To me, the two GREATEST sequels were books: The Odyssey (sequel to The Illiad) and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (sequel to Tom Sawyer).
What is "T-2"?
Terminator 2.
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington