Pasta Grannies

I'm finding and filming women who still make pasta by hand - a tradition that is disappearing in Italy. Along the way, I also meet producers, people and delicious non pasta food, so I share those too.
https://www.pastagrannies.com/

A total treasure trove. Just did ravioli last night. Still have flour on the walls, but when it's light I will fix.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Pasta Grannies

CDFingers wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:39 amJust did ravioli last night. Still have flour on the walls, but when it's light I will fix.
Sounds like my kitchen after I make fresh pizza--flour and corn meal everywhere!

There was an "extra" on the "Kung Fu Panda" Blu-Ray of a chef making traditional hand-pulled Chinese noodles. I have NO idea how he did it but it NEVER involved slicing. Somehow, the kneading, stretching and pulling, gets the gluten to form into very long strings and at one point the dough just separated into noodles! Amazing.

Here's a video I found of it--definitely flour on the walls! :lol:

"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

AlterCocker wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:23 am @cdfingers Grazie mille! É bellissima, e molto divertente. Ora ho fame...
Sure thing. I've been shopping online for one of those pasta boards some of the grannies use. When I baked for pay we had a big wood table with a round corner at the back so the flour kept coming back. I think the board would make it less messy. Or it's me, eh. :)

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Erm, Italy?
I heard some Genoan upstart snuck into China and took the recipe for noodles back to the barbarians in his home country. Marco something or another. He couldn’t even master using chopsticks to eat them, the dolt.

Even the Japanese give credit where credit is due. Japanese “Ramen” actually came from “La-mien,” the Chinese name for hand-pulled noodles. At least the Japanese had the decency to take chopsticks back with them to eat noodles with.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi