Re: America's Cup 2020

I LOVE sailing and I'm probably the most inept sailor! I have a little inflatable multi-purpose AquaGlide that's a piece of crap but is still fun! I don't know if it's still made, and I can no longer find their website--keep getting some sort of waterpark.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:Did you hear about the 2 French sailors in the solo round-the-world race? One, in 3rd place, had a similar boat that 1000 miles South of Africa, was folded in half by heavy waves and he barely made it into his survival suit and life raft, with a radio beacon. The other, leading the race, broke to race to the rescue (they have emergency engines but they are sealed--only under emergency conditions can the seal be broken). He almost didn't find the other guy but took one last sweep and got him!

There are rules for how the rescuer can continue the race without being disqualified, even having used his engine, and the rescuee cannot help sail. But despite being fierce competitors they were hugging each other when he was rescued! Macron called the rescuer a hero.

Ironically, the rescuer lost HIS boat in a previous race and another sailor rescued him!
Because we are humans first we offer compassion.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Mason wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:29 am It’s also in the rules.
And he gets "restitution" in a time allowance for the rescue. I believe Jean got 22 hours, which will be taken off his finishing time. I had two boats in the first-ever Vendee in '89. Such a different race back then.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

American Magic went down because somebody forgot to loose the windward (which became the leeward and problem) running back-stay. As mainsail trimmer on a race boat, that is one of my jobs, although technically we have "check-stays", not running back stays. Somebody is VERY embarrassed. Simple oversights can have severe consequences when things get crazy on the water.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:22 pm American Magic went down because somebody forgot to loose the windward (which became the leeward and problem) running back-stay. As mainsail trimmer on a race boat, that is one of my jobs, although technically we have "check-stays", not running back stays. Somebody is VERY embarrassed. Simple oversights can have severe consequences when things get crazy on the water.
They also made the fatal mistake of trying to round up when she started to go, instead of carrying on bearing away. The centrifugal force on the rig would have kept them upright if they had, but instead they reversed the force and put themselves in trouble.

Ain't hindsight wonderful? :)

Meanwhile, the first 9 boats in the Vendee Globe (non-stop single-handed round-the-world race) contain 3 boats that have no foils beyond standard keels and rudders. One would have thought that the foilers would be FAR ahead of the last-generation boats, but No...

There are 7 foilers behind that lead pack.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-22 134322.jpg