Re: Starship SN8 test flight live

Right--cracks me up. And the announcers are just wrecked on like RedBull or something. I love how it's so amateur when compared to NASA stuff. Shoe string budget...might not work...no t-minus stuff, so you just wait while doing the dishes and replacing ornaments knocked by the cat team.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Seems kinda quaint doesn’t it? Reminds me of the rocket Phoenix that first broke the warp barrier in 2063 on Star Trek.

Just FIY for the curious, that top capsule part is what glides back to Earth. The fins you see are actually wings, like on the space shuttle.

I’m kinda surprised that such an asymmetrical wing design doesn’t mess with the aerodynamics of the rocket as it lifts off into space. I’m sure it does and must be compensated for somehow. I’ve built many Estes rockets in my time so...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

lurker wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:05 pm rockets with fins? what is this, 1935? buck, buck rogers!
My thoughts exactly for months now - looks like something a farmer would bolt together in his barn in a quest for outer space. The thing has to be a dynamics nightmare - nothing slick about it at all.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Bisbee wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:38 pm Seems kinda quaint doesn’t it? Reminds me of the rocket Phoenix that first broke the warp barrier in 2063 on Star Trek.

Just FIY for the curious, that top capsule part is what glides back to Earth. The fins you see are actually wings, like on the space shuttle.

I’m kinda surprised that such an asymmetrical wing design doesn’t mess with the aerodynamics of the rocket as it lifts off into space. I’m sure it does and must be compensated for somehow. I’ve built many Estes rockets in my time so...
All the simulations I've seen have the entire thing going up and returning- thus the "flip" at the last second for landing?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Oh wow, thanks for posting that Shin. I had no idea the entire rocket will go up and land. I thought it was just the capsule that will separate and glide back. This will be an incredible launch and landing!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi