Re: Starship SN8 test flight live

:problem:
sikacz wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:32 pm Planes and airlines require oversight supposedly, if this endeavor doesn't then I am totally against it.
Oh, the FAA requirements regarding experimental aircraft still apply. And I presume there are sections that specifically address suborbital and orbital experimentation.

And my son points out that Musk is the quintessential "evil villan" bent upon world domination. That Jeff Bezos looks remarkably like Lex Luther and behaves the same.

That our upper atmosphere and low earth orbit are a junk yard that doesn't need any more shit.

So Elon...Your first job is to drive the garbage scow. Collect it and sent it to the sun. After that, we'll talk about other stuff.

(maybe he can go out and find the manhole cover that the DoD launched into orbit in 1957...)
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

IANARS, but my understanding is that launching something into the sun is ballistically one of the hardest shots to pull off. Conservation of momentum and all. Plus, there's a lot of expensive metal in that crap, more economical to collect it and recycle.

The rocket doesn't have to explode to be a weapon. The kinetic energy of a returning Dragon capsule alone is considerable. Dropping a Tesla from the orbital neighborhood of Mars with the precision they've shown off would be worse. But even landing a booster successfully on a designated target - say, a coastal golf resort - can put you in the Bond supervillain club.

To be fair, Musk is open about his plans for world domination. It just isn't this one he has his eye on.

I watched a full flight video triple screen external trajectory last nite, internal gimbled engines and external body cameras, from blast off to crash. And now I can't find it to post here.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:31 am I watched a full flight video triple screen external trajectory last nite, internal gimbled engines and external body cameras, from blast off to crash. And now I can't find it to post here.

I think it's in the last few minutes at the end of the first vid on this page

https://www.youtube.com/user/spacexchannel

Another launch in like 80 minutes.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Same pictures of the flight except one I watched had an AussieI (think) giving a live talkover during flight.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

And approx 13 hrs ago, United Launch Alliance (ULA) launched a Delta IV Heavy rocket with a payload for the National Reconnaissance Office at Cape Canaveral. NRO provides satellites for the US intelligence/spy agencies. ULA is the competitor to SpaceX and is owned by Lockheed and Boeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBRtBIR6s5E
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

wings wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:11 am IANARS, but my understanding is that launching something into the sun is ballistically one of the hardest shots to pull off. Conservation of momentum and all. Plus, there's a lot of expensive metal in that crap, more economical to collect it and recycle.

The rocket doesn't have to explode to be a weapon. The kinetic energy of a returning Dragon capsule alone is considerable. Dropping a Tesla from the orbital neighborhood of Mars with the precision they've shown off would be worse. But even landing a booster successfully on a designated target - say, a coastal golf resort - can put you in the Bond supervillain club.

To be fair, Musk is open about his plans for world domination. It just isn't this one he has his eye on.
Tunguska...sorta has a classy ring to it.

My son suggests Elon might be stocking the shy with rocks to drop if he doesn't...

Take Over The World...
We Are So Screwed

And has it occurred to anyone that Elon's behavior is mimicking that of Richmond Valentine (portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson) in the first Kingsman movie?

If he starts handing out free cell phones and internet...I suggest not partaking.
We Are So Screwed

Another in a few minutes

eta: Lately it's been kind of cute with nearly every launch having holds and so on. There's another launch of another satellite from another company in an hour also. Just love this stuff.

Launches are so normal now. Sweet.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

lurker wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:04 am one day with any luck, humanity will be a spacer-faring race, free to strip-mine entire worlds and move on without a second thought.
I've always thought that one of the strongest evidences against the Earth having been visited by aliens in the past is that there were any resources still left for us to exploit. In addition the fact that we are still here and not on the Good Shippe Intergalatic Brooks should be a clue.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

There are enough valuable metals and minerals on asteroids out there, possibly even water, in the asteroid belt just beyond Mars. I would guess that’d be the first area of mining exploration if we become a space faring race. If we can contend with collision avoidance, this makes a lot of sense since smaller bodies generate less gravity to overcome so less fuel to get machines on and cargo off the surfaces.

I don’t know of any ethical issues of strip mining lifeless asteroids. I may be wrong.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:25 pm There are enough valuable metals and minerals on asteroids out there, possibly even water, in the asteroid belt just beyond Mars. I would guess that’d be the first area of mining exploration if we become a space faring race. If we can contend with collision avoidance, this makes a lot of sense since smaller bodies generate less gravity to overcome so less fuel to get machines on and cargo off the surfaces.

I don’t know of any ethical issues of strip mining lifeless asteroids. I may be wrong.
oh, sure,asteroids, no problem*. but when elon from his crygoenic chamber goes interstellar, all bets are off. empires await the ambitious. i'd say someone should make a movie, but no one would believe it.

*until Acme Asteroid Mining Corp decides it's more cost-effective to park them in near-earth orbit, and miscalculates. "oops! missed it by that much".
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

This launch was amazing! I streamed it live too, and my mind was blown when it systematically shut down the engines 1 at a time, then the bellyflop worked... Holy shit! And the explosion at the end was icing on that cake.

Not bad for something that was given about 1 in 3 chances of even getting up there by Musk himself.
Wino wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:46 pm
lurker wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:05 pm rockets with fins? what is this, 1935? buck, buck rogers!
My thoughts exactly for months now - looks like something a farmer would bolt together in his barn in a quest for outer space. The thing has to be a dynamics nightmare - nothing slick about it at all.
The first version, Star Hopper, was literally welded together by a company that makes water towers...i think just to see if they could do it. Personally, I love the aesthetic.

Falcon 9 was already kicking at that point though, so don't underestimate the tech behind it. I've been fascinated and watching this since the beginning. I would go to Mars.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter