Re: Lithium/Carbon Dioxide batteries

Damn! Stuff like this not only gives hope to alleviating concerns for climate change, it shows how American can easily be a leader in renewable energy industry if we just start devoting resources to developing that industry. Subsidies need to be moved away from the oil industry and invested in renewables if our government is interested in making some serious green... in every sense of the word.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:02 am Lithium put Bolivia on the map. It's one of the major exporters of Lithium. It'd be interesting to see Lithium in its pure form as the lightest metal, like Sodium and Calcium. Wonder if it's grey, like they are?
Actually, tin (cassiterite) put Bolivia on the map - lithium is just icing on a dead mining industry. I worked for COMIBOL for a short period in the '70's.

My residence before moving to my current location some thirty years ago was across the street from an American Lithium quarry/smelter. All I ever got from it was dust - almost as bad as living in Lubbock. They used the wet process. When they shut down, a cement mill moved in and added a dry process. Still dust. Mill now does carbon dioxide capture along with cement mill process. It took the cement mill about a dozen years to deplete the mounds upon mounds of lithium tailings.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:35 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:02 am Lithium put Bolivia on the map. It's one of the major exporters of Lithium. It'd be interesting to see Lithium in its pure form as the lightest metal, like Sodium and Calcium. Wonder if it's grey, like they are?
Actually, tin (cassiterite) put Bolivia on the map - lithium is just icing on a dead mining industry. I worked for COMIBOL for a short period in the '70's.

My residence before moving to my current location some thirty years ago was across the street from an American Lithium quarry/smelter. All I ever got from it was dust - almost as bad as living in Lubbock. They used the wet process. When they shut down, a cement mill moved in and added a dry process. Still dust. Mill now does carbon dioxide capture along with cement mill process. It took the cement mill about a dozen years to deplete the mounds upon mounds of lithium tailings.
Lithium is critical for batteries...that came later with cellphones and PCS everywhere on the planet.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."