Todays fountain pen.

I've been using two fountain pens; one has been continuously in use for over a year now but the other only recently refilled.

The later is a 1st quarter 1943 Vacumatic standard with a 1937 date code nib.

It was a pen my mother sent to dad who was on the all expenses paid safari in North Africa at the time to celebrate my birth.

The former is an Aurora 888P from the mid 50s.

To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Re: Todays fountain pen.

This has been my fairly-regular go-to since about 1982. Mont Blanc 146.

Also use occasionally a KaWeCo Sport Brass, and a Waterman Torsade from about 1976. The Torsade's cap won't stay on, so it has to stay in the pen pot. There are others, but less used now and some "donated" to my kids.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.
Attachments
There comes a pointB_resize.jpg

Mine ...
It's been around the planet twice. Been in jungles and the arctic with it; Asia, Europe, Central America, and of course all over this continent.

And today it went through an all expense paid ride through the washing machine...again...this makes about 30 in the 45+ years I've had it.

It's fine. Spouse's knickers are in a knot though. I think the light blue - purple looks rather enticing. Spouse, not so much.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:59 pm Mine ...
It's been around the planet twice. Been in jungles and the arctic with it; Asia, Europe, Central America, and of course all over this continent.

And today it went through an all expense paid ride through the washing machine...again...this makes about 30 in the 45+ years I've had it.

It's fine. Spouse's knickers are in a knot though. I think the light blue - purple looks rather enticing. Spouse, not so much.
No pic visible. But Oh, yes on the washing machine.

SailDesign wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:04 pm This has been my fairly-regular go-to since about 1982. Mont Blanc 146.

Also use occasionally a KaWeCo Sport Brass, and a Waterman Torsade from about 1976. The Torsade's cap won't stay on, so it has to stay in the pen pot. There are others, but less used now and some "donated" to my kids.
I sent all my modern Montblanc 144s, 146s and 149s off to Forever Homes but still use my 50s 146s and 144s as well as my 1930s 234½.

Nice OBB nib 1950s celluloid 146.
standard.jpg
Last edited by sig230 on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim

SailDesign wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:32 pm

My wife asked what I was laughing at. "Remember that fountain pen went through the washer in my pocket?" One of those cheap cartridge fountain pens, but ink is ink. Cost me a woman's medium sweatshirt with "I won't let my husband wash his clothes with mine" on it.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:30 am
SailDesign wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:32 pm

My wife asked what I was laughing at. "Remember that fountain pen went through the washer in my pocket?" One of those cheap cartridge fountain pens, but ink is ink. Cost me a woman's medium sweatshirt with "I won't let my husband wash his clothes with mine" on it.

CDFingers
:roflmao: :roflmao:

sig230 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:26 pm
highdesert wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:15 am Beautiful, what's the story about the tank watch below the pen.
It too is from 1943 and was dad's.
What's the brand of the tank watch? I have my grandfather's, also a tank watch from 1938.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:49 am
highdesert wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:15 am Beautiful, what's the story about the tank watch below the pen.
What's the brand of the tank watch? I have my grandfather's, also a tank watch from 1938.
That one is a Lord Elgin. Unfortunately I no longer have it.
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:51 am
highdesert wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:49 am
That one is a Lord Elgin. Unfortunately I no longer have it.
I have an Elgin my mother wore when she was in school, it's really a small silver men's watch which I also wore in elementary school.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

HuckleberryFun wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:39 pm Mid-1950s Schaeffer Snorkel pen & pencil set that I keep next to my chair by the fireplace.
This is my workhorse use every day fountain pen. I have others, but this is the one I reach for first.
3A9C7CC0-B884-447E-9353-9B24E3AE8E13.jpeg
Is that a Snorkel? Looks more like a Triumph Sentinel Delux.
jim

sig230 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:22 pm
HuckleberryFun wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:39 pm Mid-1950s Schaeffer Snorkel pen & pencil set that I keep next to my chair by the fireplace.
This is my workhorse use every day fountain pen. I have others, but this is the one I reach for first.
3A9C7CC0-B884-447E-9353-9B24E3AE8E13.jpeg
Is that a Snorkel? Looks more like a Triumph Sentinel Delux.
You have a good eye. It’s a Schaeffer Sentinel Deluxe...with a snorkel ;-)
Smartypants. :smart:

http://penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer ... norkel.htm

“Sentinel - Triumph 14 karat two-tone gold nib with platinum mask, polished stainless steel cap with a repeating pattern of four straight longitudinal engraved lines in a stepped grouping, gold-filled cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic barrel. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, fern green, and periwinkle blue. The Sentinel sold for US $20.00 in 1954 ($22.50 in 1956) and the matching pencil sold for US $7.50. The "Ensemble" pen and pencil set sold for US $30.00 in 1956.”

I love your webpage, sig230. I'm also a lover of vintage stuff (I'll post about that in another thread). My mantra is that I'll always look for the lowest tech option that will do the job. I've been using fountain pens to write with for years, but only recently decided to start actively collecting them. I have just over 20 working fountain pens. I rotate them and use them all. (I don't believe in "safe queen" guns nor in collecting things that won't actually get used.)

I got this tool chest from Harbor Freight to hold my pen collection. Now I need to fill it up! ;-)
The top opens up to hold ink bottles. I like trying different inks. I admit to reading ink reviews: https://www.mountainofink.com
I'm looking for the drawer inserts that will hold the pens in place. I noticed that you have the insert I'm looking for in your drawer. Where did you get it?
IMG_1281.jpeg

HuckleberryFun wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:15 pm I love your webpage, sig230. I'm also a lover of vintage stuff (I'll post about that in another thread). My mantra is that I'll always look for the lowest tech option that will do the job. I've been using fountain pens to write with for years, but only recently decided to start actively collecting them. I have just over 20 working fountain pens. I rotate them and use them all. (I don't believe in "safe queen" guns nor in collecting things that won't actually get used.)

I got this tool chest from Harbor Freight to hold my pen collection. Now I need to fill it up! ;-)
The top opens up to hold ink bottles. I like trying different inks. I admit to reading ink reviews: https://www.mountainofink.com
I'm looking for the drawer inserts that will hold the pens in place. I noticed that you have the insert I'm looking for in your drawer. Where did you get it?

IMG_1281.jpeg
There are lots of places that can get inserts for you. Try Gary at GoPens.com .
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:04 pm
HuckleberryFun wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:15 pm I love your webpage, sig230. I'm also a lover of vintage stuff (I'll post about that in another thread). My mantra is that I'll always look for the lowest tech option that will do the job. I've been using fountain pens to write with for years, but only recently decided to start actively collecting them. I have just over 20 working fountain pens. I rotate them and use them all. (I don't believe in "safe queen" guns nor in collecting things that won't actually get used.)

IMG_1281.jpeg
There are lots of places that can get inserts for you. Try Gary at GoPens.com .
:thanks: