Re: Any other Witches/Wiccans/Wooy Types?

Close friends wife was a woo wooer. They almost moved to Sedona AZ, even buying property there because it seemed a center for weird shit. Took a bath on land purchase - turns out dick neighbor wouldn't allow access. Alas, she ditched her crystals, quit pot, shrooms and converted to Catholicism some years back - not sure that was an improvement.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Eris wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:52 am I used to be Wiccan. In theory I still am, at least if an atheist can be Wiccan. I have an altar upstairs, but I only rarely use it these days
I don't even have an alter-ego. :roflmao:

:jacko: But I do have a really close friend who is Wiccan. He's nuts, in a good way, and has always been nuts, but he's who he is. :weirdo:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Witchcraft, religion, and other superstitions never impressed me. Even as a child, in a Methodist home, I was a skeptic. I have seen nothing in the intervening years to change my mind. Some people need a higher power and I understand that, and I do not begrudge them their beliefs. There are a lot of things in this world that we do not understand; instead of assigning them a metaphysical cause, I am willing to admit, that I just don't know.
That may be the difference in believers and non-believers.

Any unusual natural phenomenon is deemed "a miracle". My fav is Moses parting the waters of the Red Sea. Similar events happen in hurricane season.

Hurricane Irma's super-low pressures sucked all the water in the sea away from the Bahamian islands of Exuma:

As a child, my Catholic friends tried to explained to me what a "soul" is, and it's going to Heaven. I couldn't figure out what the bottom of my feet had to do with going to Heaven! :see_stars:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

My sister taught elementary school. She swore up and down that she kept seeing the dead mother of one of the kids in her classroom watching over the child. And, get this, she is the only one of my siblings that didn't do drugs.....

My other sister claimed just about every religion in the book at one time or another, including witchcraft. She is near death now, and I don't have a clue what religion she will end up with.

I on the other hand, was always a heathen, if you listened to my mother in law. She always used to check if I was being reverent when the blessing was being said, but I usually wasn't.

My younger brother follows his wife to church and goes through the rituals, but he doesn't believe any more than I do, but it keeps peace in the family.
Last edited by damnitman on Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey, look at the party in the broom closet!
Marcus Aurelius wrote:“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
Now, that's the kind of paganism I aspire towards.

damnitman wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:14 pm My sister taught elementary school. She swore up and down that she kept seeing the dead mother of one of the kids in her classroom watching over the child. And, get this, she is the only one of my siblings that didn't do drugs.....

My other sister claimed just about every religion in the book at one time or another, including witchcraft. She is near death now, and I don't have a clue what religion she will end up with.

I on the other hand, was always a heathen, if you listened to my mother in law. She always used to check if I was being reverent when the blessing was being said, but I usually wasn't.

My younger brother follows his wife to church and goes through the rituals, but he doesn't believe any more than I do, but it keeps peace in the family.

Now I do believe in genetic memory. For instance, all of the men in my family going back to the Civil War, have been alcoholics. Some of us quit but most didn't. Going back even further, my genetic research led me to discover that I was descended from a Scottish Viking, who went by the name Sven Skullcrusher. It was a big relief to me, because, for the life of me I could't figure out why I kept having this overwhelming desire to burn a monastery, rape a nun and impale small children on a pike. Now I know that it is not a form of mental illness, simply genetic memory. :D

I know a lot of lapsed Wiccans - about half of them go back to Catholicism, at least in a lapsed and liberal sort of mode. Among the still-practicing witchy types of my acquaintance, they are almost exclusively of the eclectic solitaire kitchen variety. It's not a mode of practice that really works well with organization, structure, hierarchy, or authority. Liberals all, obviously.

What I realized, when a friend went deep down the woo-woo spiral as a teenager, was that a lot of the 'magick' the books talked about was really just basic human social skills wrapped up in incense and ritual. Empathy? Okay, obviously the world could use more of that. Prognostication? Who doesn't meditate about the future? Communing with the dead? It's good to remember the departed, and keep alive the parts of them that remain in us. A love of nature and mythology are well worth preserving too.

Nothing wrong with a little Taoism either.

I am Wiccan, I was raised Wiccan. I do believe in a higher power though I don't subscribe to anthropomorphism other than as an aid to visualization for the practitioner. I have a lot of opinions about new age practices that will mostly keep to myself as those opinions are not all that generous and really don't do anyone any good to just be casually dropped on the table. Wings, I think your exposure to the community has probably been pretty minimal. There are many Wiccan (and similar pagan based organizations) that have not only been around for the better part of a century but they are quite well organized with a defined hierarchy and clear path to and recognition of authority.
I find it amusing that a lot of people chimed in with "NOT IT"
Spara, you might be surprised how many people in the Wiccan/pagan community have their ordination through UU, or you might not, I dunno. There is a lot of crossover there though.
Mason, I see you :)

Good answers folks, thanks for the input.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

Wiccans aren't trying to shove their religion down my throat.
Wiccans aren't trying to get the laws changed to favor their religion over all others.
Wiccans aren't openly willing to do evil in this world pretending it's for everyone's good.
Wiccans don't tell me I'm going to go to Hell if I don't abide by their religion.
Wiccans don't harm anyone.

I don't have to follow a religion to respect how it's practiced and how its followers act.

I've had enough of the fanatics of the 3 Abrahamic religions who violate ALL these rules.

I believe that all religions exist to only provide comfort for those who are unable to accept the fact that they are mortal. To me, religion is too high price to pay for such an illusion of immortality. I am not willing to suspend my judgement for a false promise.

Once a person accepts the fact that they are going to die, and that is the end of it, then they are free to enjoy the only life they will ever have without unnecessary guilt or sacrifice. The idea that there is a Omnipotent god that is so insecure that it requires constant praise and adoration just does not grok to me. The idea that an all loving, all caring, god would consider that an eternity of the worst possible torture would be an appropriate punishment for someone exercising the judgement that they were born with is incompatible. A god could not be, at the same time, just and loving and an insatiable sadist.

Speaking from the history of growing up, in the Bible belt, in a small protestant church, a child of believers, I believe that church is more of a country club that does not exclude people based on their economic status or family history. The new fad of multi-million dollar structures, built by corporate churches does nothing to dissuade that notion. Church is good business, and when you see the leaders like Falwell you can assume that some of the leaders are not necessarily believers. A true believer would not risk an eternity in hell for a little out of bounds sex.

I am approaching the age where I not only accept my mortality as a fact, instead of a theory, but that I do not dread the event either. So many others have proceeded me that I have full confidence in my ability to carry it out without failure. I subscribe to Mark Twain's theory. He said that, "I was dead for millions of years before I was alive, and I seem to have suffered no ill effects from it."

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:35 pm I am Wiccan, I was raised Wiccan. I do believe in a higher power though I don't subscribe to anthropomorphism other than as an aid to visualization for the practitioner. I have a lot of opinions about new age practices that will mostly keep to myself as those opinions are not all that generous and really don't do anyone any good to just be casually dropped on the table.
Agreed, but you might be surprised how many witchy types share that opinion.
SpaceRanger42 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:35 pmWings, I think your exposure to the community has probably been pretty minimal. There are many Wiccan (and similar pagan based organizations) that have not only been around for the better part of a century but they are quite well organized with a defined hierarchy and clear path to and recognition of authority.
Let's see, how does that quote about assumptions go? I live in it. More than a few of the ladies on our walls.

Sure, there are organizations. There's a lot more out there who avoid them. Like liberals who own guns. Sure, there are clubs, but there are a lot more who either don't know they exist or don't care to join one. A lot more.

Pleasantly surprised to see so many here. Merry met.

damnitman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:11 am I believe that all religions exist to only provide comfort for those who are unable to accept the fact that they are mortal. To me, religion is too high price to pay for such an illusion of immortality. I am not willing to suspend my judgement for a false promise.
So then why did you feel the need to comment or post an anti religion stand point on a post made by someone (me) looking to connect with similar people in conversation?
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.