Re: Volkswagen Karmann Ghia

bajajoaquin wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:16 pm
bajajoaquin wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:08 pm.

58Hawken wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:26 pm

Miatas look like what they are. Midlife crisis on a budget. KGs at least look like an attempt to be classics while having your mid-life crisis on a budget. IMVUIO.
You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but it's wrong.

And by the way, I just re read this. Meant to be funny. Wasn’t. Sorry.
I got it. No harm, no foul. ;)

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:59 am
Bucolic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:47 am
Marlene wrote:
Bucolic wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 4:28 pm The best conversion I’ve ever heard of was done by an engineer on a project that I provided some oversight to. He dropped an RX-6 rotary engine into a bug eye Sprite.
There was one of those in San Francisco years back. Rumor was that they plumbed one rotor to just act as a supercharger for the other two.
Ooooo! Now that’s some serious shit! I hope they upgraded the brakes.

I love the sound of those Wankels when they’re revving up around 10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't understand how turning one rotor into a super charger would help. Rotaries are fundamentally 2-strokes and the other chambers of the rotor already act as a supercharger, forcing the mixture in. And you lose half the engine's power. Piston-port 2-strokes are essentially super-charged already. as the downward stroke of the piston forces the charge into the upper chamber, while a tuned, timed exhaust sucks out the old charge and sets up a back pressure to hold the new charge in place.
I’d imagine that it makes the power curve different and doesn’t make more power total. That said, all internal combustion engines have a compression stroke and that’s entirely different from what supercharging does. Also, to say that a wankel runs like a two stroke is a reductive explanation at best.

Marlene wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:25 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:59 am
Bucolic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:47 am
Marlene wrote:
There was one of those in San Francisco years back. Rumor was that they plumbed one rotor to just act as a supercharger for the other two.
Ooooo! Now that’s some serious shit! I hope they upgraded the brakes.

I love the sound of those Wankels when they’re revving up around 10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't understand how turning one rotor into a super charger would help. Rotaries are fundamentally 2-strokes and the other chambers of the rotor already act as a supercharger, forcing the mixture in. And you lose half the engine's power. Piston-port 2-strokes are essentially super-charged already. as the downward stroke of the piston forces the charge into the upper chamber, while a tuned, timed exhaust sucks out the old charge and sets up a back pressure to hold the new charge in place.
I’d imagine that it makes the power curve different and doesn’t make more power total. That said, all internal combustion engines have a compression stroke and that’s entirely different from what supercharging does. Also, to say that a wankel runs like a two stroke is a reductive explanation at best.
The compression stroke is different. Turbo and super-charging push the mixture into the chamber rather than having the intake stroke suck it in, saving both the drag power used for the vacuum and forcing more charge into the chamber, so there's more charge for the compression stroke to compress. This can even require a reduced compression ratio so the engine doesn't blow up or burn up.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I remember the Datsun 280-Z from, I guess, the early 1970's? I think it was also called the Fairlady.
Toyota I think had the Celica Supra to compete...not sure about that.
Don't know much about the Japanese 70's and 80's muscle cars other than the RX7.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."