Re: not really sure where to put this, so here will do.

lurker wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:18 pm
CDFingers wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:36 am A boat by committee. My guess is that would have a 4x4 attachment, a beer fridge, and wi fi. Maybe not.
CDFingers
and specially for a gun forum, a drain plug. quick and easy scuttling for when the boating accident needs to happen!

:tongue: bought another poplar 1x4 for stringers. nice and straight, fine grain, no knots. :ras: and a box of 3/4" brass screws. i'll get started on them just as soon as you guys show up to give me a hand.
I thought the drain plug would be "fire-formed" at the last minute. A 45 would be better than a 22, but whatever you have .....
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

CDFingers wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:30 pm
Mason wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:04 pm Richard says poplar is not known for its rot resistance.
True, yet it is very stable and flexible when dry. I say coat those bad boys in a few coats of Marine Spar Varnish. Or dip them in what ever 45 wears to keep away the Gendarmes. That shit works.

CDFingers
As long as it's encapsulated, it's fine. We used to use it in foam-cored parts where we wanted to attach things with screws.

lurker wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:54 pm progress report. got the last pair of formers on. adding gunnels, aka sheer clamps. to get the curve right, temporarily wired the gunnels to stations 2 and 5, screwed and glued 2,3,4,5 so i can bevel the stringers at stem and stern. starting to look like a boat.
LUGO2174.JPG
LUGO2175.JPG
LUGO2171.JPG
Looking good!

lurker wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:52 pm stem and stern.mark and bevel the sheer clamps, finish up with the belt sander. should have spent more time on this bit.
LUGO2184.JPG
then screw and glue.
LUGO2185.JPG
tomorrow i'll get a bit more done, but then they're predicting rain, so back in the shed it goes.
Just remember - none of what you are doing now will be visible. Solidity is more important than perfection.

SailDesign wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:08 pm
Mason wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:39 am You're gonna need to epoxy the wood anyway. You could strip plank it with 1/4" plywood and epoxy. Its called "cold molding".
Would be way too heavy for a hull designed to be canvas-covered. Unless lurker is a 90-pound kind of a guy.
Agreed. I built a 70lb pram that was actually 90lbs once. Getting that thing over the lifelines and on and off the cabin top of my Pearson 28 by myself was a bitch.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I’m guessing SailDesign meant that covering a kayak in 1/4” plywood then epoxying the outside when the original design called for a light membrane would create a stronger but heavier craft. Such a heavy thing may indeed still float on its own but any subsequent load would cause the boat to dip further and perilously raise the waterline, effectively swamping it with any significant rolling motion.

Can’t possibly be canvas painted w epoxy can it? Canvas is flexible. Epoxy, not so much.

Time to go harvest some seals, Nanook!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:29 pm I’m guessing SailDesign meant that covering a kayak in 1/4” plywood then epoxying the outside when the original design called for a light membrane would create a stronger but heavier craft. Such a heavy thing may indeed still float on its own but any subsequent load would cause the boat to dip further and perilously raise the waterline, effectively swamping it with any significant rolling motion.

Can’t possibly be canvas painted w epoxy can it? Canvas is flexible. Epoxy, not so much.

Time to go harvest some seals, Nanook!
Canvas would be painted with "dope". Tightens the skin and is as flexible as the canvas. Same thing used on antique aircraft.