Re: not really sure where to put this, so here will do.

got the second set of formers on. that's 4 of 6, enough for one day. building board with keelson and formers are now in the shed. more tomorrow, and maybe a trip to lowes for more wood. and clamps. if i start early i can get the last 2 formers in and start on the top center batten and 2 top side stringers, aka sheer clamps, or gunwales or gunnels. boat building seems to have a language all its own.
LUGO2155.JPG
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I find the very easiest thing to avoid is housework. No body else will do it, so if I can handle it, it waits for me patiently.

With respect to c clamps, one thing you can do is to clamp it with that black spring clamp, which frees your hands, then you use two to do the c clamp for a bit more pressure and take off the black one. Then I take a sip of beer, which helps explain why my projects take a bit longer than with other folks.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Bisbee wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:38 pm Yeah, all I could think of was, “Where was SailDesign...”

I guess the title of this thread could have been a bit different to catch more eyes.
Sail has been skimming, not even reading his "other" shooting group at all. <sigh>

Yes, if you want it to last beyond Christmas, marine ply is a must. But - if you want something cheap and quick and are viewing this as a learning experience before you build boat #2, then just put fibreglass on the outside and enjoy it while it lasts. :D
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:05 pm
lurker wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:28 pm and look, it's richard saildesign! i had no idea there were so many richards here. :yahoo:
Yup!! I'll go farther and ask where you got the plans from. :D

I have nothing to compensate for, so I can be a Little Richard at will. :roflmao:
i deleted the PMs so i don't remember the exact words, but as i recall some nice naval architect suggested i download free plans. might even have provided a link to a set www.svensons.com/boat/?p=RowBoats/Canvasback that specifies "exterior grade" plywood.

Oh, I learned something today about Exterior vs Marine grade plywood. Apparently they are pretty close, both employing 100% waterproof glue with the Marine grade requiring use of only Douglas Fir wood for some reason.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

An experiment may be run to determine whether replacement is necessary. If you have one of the gunnels that's not hooked to anything else, maybe you should submerge it in water for an hour and see what happens. If the glue is the same and the wood is not doug fir, you could just varnish the tar out of the frame before you hook anything else on it. I have a doug fir back door that's gotten rained on for like twenty five years. Marine Spar Varnish. Excellent. My guess is it would protect any wood as well.

A boat by committee. My guess is that would have a 4x4 attachment, a beer fridge, and wi fi. Maybe not.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:36 am A boat by committee. My guess is that would have a 4x4 attachment, a beer fridge, and wi fi. Maybe not.
CDFingers
and specially for a gun forum, a drain plug. quick and easy scuttling for when the boating accident needs to happen!

:tongue: bought another poplar 1x4 for stringers. nice and straight, fine grain, no knots. :ras: and a box of 3/4" brass screws. i'll get started on them just as soon as you guys show up to give me a hand.