Re: not really sure where to put this, so here will do.

last thursday i discovered my old fogey alcatel flip phone was dead. as a doornail. so i put it on the charger and after half an hour it came to life, attempting to charge. 0%, 0%, 0%, literally for hours. overnight. 0%. so i'm guesing the battery died. not surprising, i've had this thing ($30 tracphone) for years. so friday i started looking online for a replacement on the internet (they're all over the internet, anywhere from six to 15 bux 4 days or more for delivery), got no phone so can't call anywhere, and came up with three local shops, verizon, t-mobile and cricket and there's a phone repair shop right in the center of town. wally doesn't stock cellphone batteries. today i ran around town to pick up the trailer hitch i'd ordered and look for a battery.

trailer hitch? YES! 8-)
verizon? closed for pandemic. :|
t-mobile? closed for pandemic. :( call for an appointment. :wall:
crciket? happy to sell me a phone, no batteries. :angry:
repair shop? owner out for the day, come back tomorrow. :evilmad:
ok, that last emoji understates things, i was quite a bit more than just a little annoyed. i actually cursed a bit.
i'll try again tomorrow. i am not amused.
Last edited by lurker on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote:last thursday i discovered my old fogey alcatel flip phone was dead. as a doornail. so i put it on the charger and after half an hour it came to life, attempting to charge. 0%, 0%, 0%, literally for hours. overnight. 0%. so i'm guesing the battery died. not surprising, i've had this thing ($30 tracphone) for years. so friday i started looking online for a replacement on the internet (they're all over the internet, anywhere from six to 15 bux 4 days or more for delivery), got no phone so can't call anywhere, and came up with three local shops, verizon, t-mobile and cricket and there's a phone repair shop right in the center of town. wally doesn't stock cellphone batteries. today i ran around town to pick up the trailer hitch i'd ordered and look for a battery.

trailer hitch? YES! 8-)
verizon? closed for pandemic. :|
t-mobile? closed for pandemic. :(
crciket? happy to sell me a phone, no batteries. :angry:
repair shop? owner out for the day, come back tomorrow. :evilmad:
ok, that last emoji understates things, i was quite a bit more than just a little annoyed. i actually cursed a bit.
i'll try again tomorrow. i am not amused.
Get an iPhone! Come to the dark side! :evil laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ah. well, a worthy attempt... phone repair shop was closed . so i ordered a battery from wally, $13. delivery expected by the 17th, sooner if i want to pay 3X the price in shipping. these damn phones are all over the place, no excuse for this nonsense. i guess no one bothers to replace the battery, just buy an effing smartphone. eff that, i'll wait.
not happy with this modern world we're creating. in the business world, careers are ruined over this sort of nonsense.
at least i got my trailer hitch installed only smashed my hand once!

eta:
ordered a battery, received same after 2 weeks, lasted 2 weeks, then dead. bought a new flipphone on sale $16 (about what i paid for the battery w/shipping) and swapped the new battery into the old phone. works fine, just like nothing happened.
Last edited by lurker on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

i give up. looked at a couple of videos, identified a cheap (YES!) kayak that appealed. no one has one, in fact no one has anything under $500. apparently all the hoarders are planning to launch their raids by sea (two lanterns). so on the advice of our resident naval architect i searched free plans to download, et voila! the "canvasback", popular mechanics circa 1965. slow going, especially in the heat, but i think it's coming along nicely.
LUGO1950.JPG
it's something to do during the pandemic. still some detail work on the notches, then stem, stern, keel, stringers, seat, coamings, covering... couple of weeks of cheap entertainment here.$31 bucks so far with a 4'x6' sheet of nice plywood left over.

in the ads at websites i visit, i see a vendor selling outdoor menswear, mostly some variation on olive drab, loaded down with velcro, zippers and fake insignia. naturally, to properly market to male couch potatoes, they must have the cachet of faux militaria. so the adjectives, oh, dear! most frequent is "tactical", either by itself or paired (or more) with other, less familiar... well here, see for yourself. individual item descriptions (spaces omitted by me) are one per line so yes, the "fashionoutdoortactical" pertains to a single item.
i find the use of "fashion" ironic in this context, except that we all know it's just marketing trying to press all the buttons. this is just page 1 of three. the * indicates my personal favorite.
outdoortactical
tacticalcamouflage
tacticaloutdoortrainingcamouflage
fashionoutdoortacticalcamouflage
commandtactical
outdoortactical
fashionoutdoortactical
outdoorsports
tactical
sportstactical
tactical
multifunctionaltactical
camo
tactical
camouflage
sportsarmyfancombat
militarybattlefieldoutdoorfitnesscamo *
trainingtactical
tactical
tactical
combatoutdoor

lurker wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:46 am
CDFingers wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:18 am "Urban Camo Evening Wear"
they were obviously struggling to avoid repeating, so this would help immensely. they'll find a way to jam tactical in there somewhere. i suggest you bid high on the consulting fee.
I think all's it would take to attach the "tactical" moniker is a hidden mobile phone pocket.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

probably not safe for work, or,
if you have delicate sensibilities, hit the back button now, or
a mind on drugs is a terrible thing to waste.
LUGO2108.JPG
amlodipine, BP
levothyroxine, hypothyroidism
l-lysine, placebo effect, covid19
2 aspirin, back pain
my daily regimen, aspirin optional.
naturally an idle mind wanders places it shouldn't go. say hello to the little man
LUGO2109.JPG
but wait, there's more! (or turn back now, you were warned).
Last edited by lurker on Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.