Re: not really sure where to put this, so here will do.

wings wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:30 pm So why can't I sleep?
lots of possibilities. too many naps, or not enough exercise to wear you out, or too much exercise so you nap too much during the day, advancing BPH makes me want to pee in the middle of the night... i'm learning not to drink a big glass of tea after dinner.
any of which might explain why i'm here posting and hunting spammers at 4 and 5 in the a.m. i try to do something productive every day. yesterday i fixed the self-propel drive on the push mower: removed a rock jammed in the gears. your definition of production may vary.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Sometimes looking in new cars terrifies me. My son's cars have cameras for backing up, and on the screen there's a little rendition of where you should turn your wheels with little lines for where you should be, with beepers and sweeping red and green vectors. There are buttons on his dash boards in places that shouldn't even be places. Where my cup holder in my old Saturn is a science project, his cup hole holds two mobile phones and a sealed package of dog treats with a folding water bowl.

I still carry tools, but a fat lot of good it does me if I lift the engine cover and puzzle about what collections of modules and tubes actually is the engine.

These new cars are getting to the point where you should just jack up the registration and drive a new car under it rather than go to the trouble of classifying modules, removing extraneous flashing, and also finding a squirrel family there under all those tubes as you struggle to recalibrate the computer so your radio stations come back and the clock has your time zone instead of Dubai's. Lot a trouble.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Once upon a time, power windows and door locks were extras now they come standard. Collision avoidance systems are almost standard now, I do like the backup camera on mine. And they are more tech friendly, gone are cigarette lighters to make room for mobile phone and computer plug ins front and rear.

That Royal Enfield looks interesting, but it's hard to beat a Ducati.
https://www.ducati.com/us/en/home
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Supposedly a transportation revolution is taking place where we just call up a remote autonomous vehicle to come get us and take us to the store or what not, call to get home. Use your bank card type of thing. That optimistic sentiment and others may be found in this installment of Just Have a Think.

Worth a watch, especially if you're an investor.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

It's easy to see that once AI vehicles are perfected, that cities will start prohibiting self driving vehicles at least in the inner cities. And eventually self driving vehicles will become very expensive to buy and drive because insurance companies won't want people driving themselves. Pickup trucks for work and hauling are still another matter.

The fun of driving will be lost for most people, but no doubt some entrepreneurs will create huge resorts where guests can drive on their roads so at least the wealthy will still enjoy driving.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CDFingers wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:26 am If smiles result there is no blame.

CDFingers
Jives with my day. :)

I like EVs. I wish they were more affordable and practical for where I live. Even a first-gen Leaf can be a hoot to drive. But that gets to the autonomy thing. I've had the chance to drive the modern semi-auto ridiculousness as well. You know what? It's nice - in traffic. Let's face it, traffic is the worst. But being able to turn it off in the twisties is also nice. I've yet to find a car where I can't turn off the electronic nannies, I just have to work out how. So there's a place for both.

Wife and I own a 2019 and 2020 Toyota RAV4 XSE Hybrids and we love them. We have been driving the hybrids since 2006 and they have gotten better over time. Still like the 40 mpg. I don’t mess with the maintenance except for tire pressure and washing them. The rest is done by the dealer. I can remember the days of doing tuneups, oil changes. Even doing valve and ring jobs. That wasn’t the good old days. I also like cars that I can remote start and have the AC on and cooling when I get in. I remember getting into an unaired condition car in Texas summer sitting on vinyl seats. We are so much better now.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

new spam technique emerging?
Rebecca27 Total posts: 1
Joined Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:47 pm Last activeMon Sep 06, 2021 6:18 pm

1 hr 31 mins duration

assignmenthelp21 Total posts: 0
Joined Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:55 pm Last active Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:15 am

1 hr 20 mins duration
spending an hour+ on the forum looking for a place to drop spam? trying to be "relevant", like rebecca?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

wings wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:58 pm Couple of black cats here, separated by a dozen years or so of experience. One of the best parts of my day is watching the younger one try to bunny-kick the snot out of the bigger, fluffier one as he tries to sit on her. Then they get hungry and turn their attention on me. Why am I the provisioner of treats?
Woke up yesterday to a blood bath. We still can't figure out which cat was injured, but there was blood all over our master bedroom and en-suite bathroom. ALL over! We've had to separate these two guys. They've been fighting for years--never saw 2 males who couldn't figure out SOME way to get along. There were occasional scratches on one or the other, but mainly on the littler one, not the stinkin' rotten Orange monster. The two my wife had when I met her fought like brothers but would curl up together and the older one would leap to the younger one's defense, would alert us when the younger one was in trouble, etc.

The injured cat must have cleaned himself up very thoroughly because we've searched both and cannot find a wound on either -- no blood on their fur but there were bloody paw prints. So the littler one slept in our son's room--since his brother hasn't been home in nearly 2 years, there's a Jack&Jill bathroom that connects both rooms and our son uses the other brother's room for his gaming rig and all his musical instruments, giving the cat SOME room. The stinker was in our room and was much quieter than usual.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."