Re: Coffee- Home Roasting

For cool down I dump a finished roast into an old wire mesh colander, then pour it into another old wire mesh colander in front of my stand fan on high speed, repeatedly between the two. This removes what little chaff is left from air popper and does a relatively quick cool down. This is then poured into a large SS perforated colander and repeated until all roasted. I agitate the large colander to mix the cooler and warmer batches. After last roast I dump the large colander into one of the old wire mesh ones, again in front of fan, several times. Put away gear and by this time beans down to ambient and placed in my crock containers to degas for day or two.
I've had to patch both my old wire mesh (like screen wire) colanders as I've been unable to find anyone that makes them any longer. All I find now are the perforated metal or plastic units and they just aren't up to the task IMHO for rapid cool down. The wire mesh that I have found (and have a set) isn't as heavy duty as my 30-40 yo ones.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Did one lb. batch Guatemalan this morn. Medium roast, just after second crack, snap, pop. Unroasted Arabica Green Coffee Beans – Grown in San Marcos Region – Altitude 1800M – Drying/Milling Process Washed – Finca Nueva Granada.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I should have roasted yesterday and didn't. Today I will, I'm still roasting Costa Rica La Minita Tarrazu 1500 meters. Arabica also, I've really got a fondness for the lower caffeine in Costa Rician coffees have, lets me drink it all day.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

Saturday morning coffee roasting. Cool morning, mid 70's. Did two different roast. First was Guatemalan Huehuetenango, medium roast seconds after second crack. This is an excellent smooth mild coffee with killer flavor to savor. So far impressed with Guatemalan coffees. Second roast was Brazil Peaberry. Took it well into second crack, dark, almost to French roast area. This Brazilian Peaberry is a bit harsh (compared to Guatemalan), but wanted to try it in my French press. It mellows out when blended with the milder coffees during grind.
Should have roasted a batch of Nicaraguan Maragogipe today and vac pac in Mason Jar for coming holidays, since my two crock pots are full from today's roasts. Only have three pounds left and so hard to get and expensive I hesitated as afraid I can't replace at a reasonable cost. Wish I could find some Mexican Maragogipe, again. Last I had was a gift from daughter some years back when she was getting Gevalia - pre-roasted and expensive.

This is fourth Peaberry roast - from light to medium light to medium to dark - granted light less harsh, but still harsh in comparison. Flavor is very good regardless of roast. Makes a tasty brew when blended with other milder coffee. Coffee roasters just wanna have fun !! LOL

Wino wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:00 pm This is fourth Peaberry roast - from light to medium light to medium to dark - granted light less harsh, but still harsh in comparison. Flavor is very good regardless of roast. Makes a tasty brew when blended with other milder coffee. Coffee roasters just wanna have fun !! LOL
If your coffee's better than Swing's, well, I'm all for it! :coffee: :weirdo:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Wino wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:00 pm This is fourth Peaberry roast - from light to medium light to medium to dark - granted light less harsh, but still harsh in comparison. Flavor is very good regardless of roast. Makes a tasty brew when blended with other milder coffee. Coffee roasters just wanna have fun !! LOL
I've over-roasted in the past; but this week for the first time ever, I went in the house after starting a roast got distracted and got back outside about three minutes late. The beans were actually burning, flames coming out the opening of my little roaster; first time in all these years that I had to dump a roast on the sidewalk, let it cool and throw it away.
After the roaster cooled off, I did a 2nd, stayed focused this time with positive results.

No matter the bean origin, I'm a Full City or darker roaster, I don't like the fruitiness of lighter roasts.
"And so it goes"

geno - that's why I have a Flume water line monitor - bad habit of walking away from an open water faucet because I sometimes have the attention span of a cocker spaniel when my mind tosses me another bone. At least the Flume gives me a heads up if running more than five minutes - provided I don't ignore my phones beeping. Also, have a ThermoWorks "Big & Loud" cook (or whatever) timer that I can barely hear, but my cross street neighbor does loud and clear. It has saved many a loaf of sourdough bread !! LOL
I'm with you on darker roast preference, but there are some coffee just not good there, as I'm slowly learning and trying different beans from around the sphere. I also prefer dark beers, ales and stout for deeper flavors.

geno wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:55 pm
I've over-roasted in the past; but this week for the first time ever, I went in the house after starting a roast got distracted and got back outside about three minutes late. The beans were actually burning, flames coming out the opening of my little roaster; first time in all these years that I had to dump a roast on the sidewalk, let it cool and throw it away.
After the roaster cooled off, I did a 2nd, stayed focused this time with positive results.

No matter the bean origin, I'm a Full City or darker roaster, I don't like the fruitiness of lighter roasts.
Not sure i know what fruitiness you mean. I don't taste apples, pears, peaches, grapes or any other fruit. But dark roasts tend to be rough, not smooth--IMHO, of course.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Wino wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:35 pm bad habit of walking away from an open water faucet because I sometimes have the attention span of a cocker spaniel when my mind tosses me another bone.

I also prefer dark beers, ales and stout for deeper flavors.
I'm the same way, stouts and dark beers all the way.
I have a 100-gallon stock tank in the pasture that requires my complete attention when I refill it, it takes just long enough to refill it for my mind to wander.
"And so it goes"

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:12 pm Not sure i know what fruitiness you mean. I don't taste apples, pears, peaches, grapes or any other fruit. But dark roasts tend to be rough, not smooth--IMHO, of course.
This page does a good job describing what's considered fruitiness in coffee; https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/buying ... ing-coffee
They seem to embrace it, that's their prerogative.
"And so it goes"

My taste buds are not nuanced enough to distinguish hints of fruitiness in coffee, Tequila, Mezcal, Bourbon, et al. They are sufficient enough to know when there is too much peat smoke in Scotch. My buds do know when I like the taste of something, and that is quite adequate for me - just don't ask me to write or explain the taste of something I like - which is why I seldom try to write a review of alcoholic or coffee beverages.

Geno - good link for explanation of fruitiness.

Wino wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:17 pm Roasting using Presto air popcorn machine. Currently have two different Guatemalan, Brazil Peaberry and Nicaraguan Maragogype. I'll keep going as long as I can cause the flavors beat the hell out of anything I've bought from Sam's, Costco or local grocer. The two current Guatemalan as different from the other, but both smell and flavor are to die for. Peaberry a bit bitter, but should have stopped roast before heavy second snap.
I do a pound of beans at a time, 2/3rds to 3/4 cup at a time. All beans vac packed after receiving bulk pack, in one pound batches. Have it pretty much down to a science, but have to do early AM or over heating popper causes delays. Do all on patio, since it makes such a mess from husk when on stove top fry pan. Regardless, it has made coffee drinking much more fun and allows experimenting with varying roast. Have about 20-25 lbs of raw coffee in various types.
Have two burr grinders - Compresso and a Mr. Coffee (latter is a PITA), but it quit doing timed grinds and have to continually push run button to grind, then it starts to remember the time grind and have to shut off. Also have a small Braun blade grinder I use from time to time for small brews. Also have an old hand crank bowl /burr grinder set for coarse I use for my French Press.
Still buy Cafe Bustelo for my Espresso vintage stovetop pot and a Espresso steam/foamer, but can't remember brand. I had an old Cory vac coffee maker, but broke that puppy - it really was a good brewer, Bought a smaller off brand version, but broke that one, too. and haven't replaced.
I have an air popcorn popper that was my mom's, and I'd like to give that a try, and maybe a rotating basket in our air fryer. But I have no idea where to buy the green beans you use. I just want to see if I can even just match Swing's Guatemalan Huehuetenango, and the Teaberry. There are also some AMAZING Ethiopian coffees, starting with Yergacheffe. In fact, the ONLY K-cup coffee I like, much less can stand, is Target's house brand of Yergacheffe.

That whole crap with wine, coffee, and fine rum (and I guess other spirits) of "notes of Serbian Raspberry, Turkish almonds, Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee, and Nepalese Yak milk butter, combined with a smooth finish of Amazon River kelp" just leaves me cold. Do they really believe that crap or do they just make it up?

YT - I've bought all thru Amazon Prime and most have been "Smokin Beans" brand https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LV ... =UTF8&th=1. Used Amazon because free shipping and cheaper than buying direct from Smokin Beans https://www.smokinbeans.com/shop/unroas ... uetenango/
Have a 5 lb. in cart for Guatemalan Antigua and considering adding 5 lb. Yirgacheffe - both Smokin Bean. Thru Amazon they come in sealed pouch packed in a small burlap bag which I use to store one pound vac packed raw beans. Direct seems just foil sealed pouch, no burlap. Free delivery from Amazon 4-7 day.

Wino wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:25 pm YT - I've bought all thru Amazon Prime and most have been "Smokin Beans" brand https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LV ... =UTF8&th=1. Used Amazon because free shipping and cheaper than buying direct from Smokin Beans https://www.smokinbeans.com/shop/unroas ... uetenango/
Have a 5 lb. in cart for Guatemalan Antigua and considering adding 5 lb. Yirgacheffe - both Smokin Bean. Thru Amazon they come in sealed pouch packed in a small burlap bag which I use to store one pound vac packed raw beans. Direct seems just foil sealed pouch, no burlap. Free delivery from Amazon 4-7 day.
Wow! Thanks, Wino! Guat Antigua is also a delicious coffee.

YW - so far have been impressed with Guat coffees. All the coffees I've bought have been from 2021 harvest. What has surprised me is the difference in taste of various variety beans from same nation. It's making it difficult to expand my horizons beyond Mexico, Central & South America !! LOL

Wino wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:01 am YW - so far have been impressed with Guat coffees. All the coffees I've bought have been from 2021 harvest. What has surprised me is the difference in taste of various variety beans from same nation. It's making it difficult to expand my horizons beyond Mexico, Central & South America !! LOL
J just ordered 1# of green Guatemala beans. I'll try roasting in both the air popper and a rotisserie cage in the air fryer.

You should try Ethiopian, Ugandan, Kenyan, and Zimbabwe beans, too, since you like Guatemalan and other Central and SA beans.

This is my very first try at roasting green Guatemala coffee beans in my mom's old West Bend air popcorn popper.
I think I have to let it sit awhile before I grind a little and try it. The color looks right, but currently it doesn't smell much like coffee.
The beans are from The Bean Organic Coffee Company. Any suggestions from you experienced home-roasters?
FirstTryCoffeeRoasting.jpg

Looks light to me, did you reach the 1st crack?
I've never roasted with anything that didn't have temp. control, so I don't have any insight there.
With the roaster I use now on the gas grill, I'll adjust my flame height 2 or 3 times during the roast.
There are many webpages devoted to roasting here's an example: https://www.baristainstitute.com/blog/s ... r-roasting
This page shows the different stages of roasting; https://library.sweetmarias.com/using-s ... -of-roast/
I usually roast to the: 13. Vienna – Light French roast stage, usually I'm in the 13minute range to get there but roasting outside it varies due to temperature and even wind.

P.S. "1st crack" is louder more time between individual cracks, "2ndcrack" softer, more like snapping a very dry thin twig and very rapid and shorter duration.
"And so it goes"

It's exactly the same color as the commercial beans I got from Swings. I did hear cracking. It shot a lot of soft shells out from the air--a glass casserole caught them. Ground some up and it smelled pretty good....now I'm about to try some.

I usually grind using a Cuisinart mill grinder. I also have a Pavoni but it doesn't do nearly as well, so it's a back up. For this, I used a little hand grinder--the kind back-packers use. It grinds as evenly as the Cuisinart, just a lot slower. Good for a tablespoon or two of beans.

I just made a cup in my ancient one-cup Melitta drip machine. It's very smooth with a nice flavor--I probably need to use a bit more to "punch it up" a bit. Is it as good as Swing's Guatemala? No. Definitely not. But it's only my first try, and it's STILL 'way better than anything from Starbuck's or even Dunkin. It's better than classic New Jersey diner coffee as well. HOWEVER, at $11.99 delivered for a pound, vs $17/lb (if you buy 5# bags)--$15 for a 12oz bag, if I can master it, it will be a significant savings. I've got a rotisserie basket coming for our air-frying which allows exact temp and time settings.

I'm still a novice, but that doesn't appear to have made it to second crack and I'd consider a light roast (subjective). I have generally started finish shortly after hearing second crack to about 30 sec. past. The Peaberry I did Saturday went well past second crack and stopped when it hit a machine gun staccato cracking. Degassing the oils have come to the surface and is a dark beauty to behold - looking forward to my first French Press of this batch.

As I've posted, I break my bulk 5 lb. into five separate vac'ed 1lb. batches as shown in photo. Then I measure 2/3rd. to 3/4 cup to air popper - anything less and it blows beans out and more causes popper to over heat - so that's my sweet spot. Again, outdoors cause it blows chaff all over the place. When it hits my desired shade, I dump and cool that batch down rapidly and repeat process until pound finished.
20220926_074657a.jpg
Not to get off topic, BUT I just pulled these sour dough challah loaves out of the oven a short time ago.
20220926_151523.jpg