Re: Lets talk some games

ARC1107 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:28 pm just a suggestion but, I wouldn't get the new system right away. its kind of like new games, they rush out the systems and there are going to be all kinds of bugs and stuff in the programming. I normally give it a couple months if not a little longer so they can get patches and what not to get the system to where it should be. Unless of course you can find an amazing deal you can't pass up.
And the PS systems usually drop 50% in price by year 2 or 3.

I'm currently debating building/buying a gaming rig. Still mainly on PS4, but I did install Euro Truck Simulator 2 on an old laptop and have been having a lot of fun with that.

I tend to play GTA5 online with friends in Europe and Borderlands and Overwatch with my better half. And then of course there is Gran Turismo, that is definitely my favorite sim racer (really wish they would expand the VR).

Ah, there is a gaming thread on here. I just started one for finding co-op partners, but maybe this is the better place to post...

I used to play a lot of Overwatch because I like team-based play, but tossed Blizzard when the Hong Kong thing happened. So I've been without a team game since then, but just today the game Squad caught my attention. It just went to 1.0 after years in beta and seems to be getting a lot of love from people who like team-based games. It has an element of realism to the battle that makes it look more like modern warfare, but apparently isn't too demanding on hardware as it is a 4-yr old game or so.

Has anyone played? Anyone interested? I've been watching Twitch channels with it this evening and I'm thinking I want to pick it up...
“This aggression will not stand, man.” — The Dude

:welcome:
what do you shoot? pictures, we like pictures. where are you located? no we don't need your mailing address, but a state might be useful or interesting.

or are you just here to spam for this "lineage 3" thing?
the really odd thing is, seems like i've seen this username here before, or maybe a variation on it. come here often?
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

My miserable treacherous Dell Dimension XPS8600r only had 1 simple job and the lazy son-of-a-toaster can't even do that now!! Every few months or years I play a game or 2 of Civilization II. For the past 15 years that's all the circa 1999 Dell has been used for.
The hard drive has failed despite being a relatively youthful 2005 Western Digital Caviar SE 80 GB. Enhanced IDE Hard drives seem to be so old that the 'vintage computer shoppe' doesn't have them...
Civ II won't run on 64bit boxes running Win7-10 without some dubious patches.
Anyone know a source for working ancient/NOS HDs with some kind of warranty?
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT
Attachments
IMG_1001.jpg

The only thing I can think of is to grab some gently used or new old stock drives off ebay but you won't find legacy drives like that with a warranty. You might be able to get a SATA to IDE adapter and work it that way, or will it run through a virtual machine or Dos Box on a newer machine? Otherwise you are buying with no warranty.

So, anybody else pick up Cyberpunk? Its not quite what the hype has made it out to be but I've had a good time with it and I hope that it gets the no man's sky treatment and just becomes better and better with age. I'm just about to the end of the game and would like to play through on a new character but I'm going to wait until after I get a 30 series card. My 2080ti gets beat like a rented mule with all the RTX goodies on...but boy is it pretty.

I tried to like Red Dead 2 as I loved the first on xbox 360 but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. I would def wait on cyberpunk though, really needs some patches. I'm sure the eventual GOTY will be worth it, I mean the witcher 3 came out buggy as all hell and turned into a fantastic gaming experience over time

Thanks. I found RDR2 to be fairly frustrating at first but as a longtime fan of Daniel Lanois, I was drawn in by the soundtrack (along with enjoying the first game on PS3, but not RDR:Undead Nighmare) I do need to try Witcher 3 again, the big bunch of controls/spells/etc were overwhelming on a PC the last time I tried it.

AmandaKY wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:08 am I like competitive games like Rocket League, Cs Go. I've been playing rocket league for about 4 years now. I have 1145 mmr in Rocket league, and I'm interested to know what are your rl.exchange/blog/rocket-league-ranks-mmr , if you play? I have a dream to break into esports in the Rocket league, because I participated in several tournaments, and in one of them I even took 1st place. By the way, I want to buy a new computer for the stream, can you tell me which video card is better to buy from intel or AMD?
spam.JPG
edited the 18th.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Tedzilla wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:44 am My miserable treacherous Dell Dimension XPS8600r only had 1 simple job and the lazy son-of-a-toaster can't even do that now!! Every few months or years I play a game or 2 of Civilization II. For the past 15 years that's all the circa 1999 Dell has been used for.
The hard drive has failed despite being a relatively youthful 2005 Western Digital Caviar SE 80 GB. Enhanced IDE Hard drives seem to be so old that the 'vintage computer shoppe' doesn't have them...
Civ II won't run on 64bit boxes running Win7-10 without some dubious patches.
Anyone know a source for working ancient/NOS HDs with some kind of warranty?
After my Dell finally was failing after close to 10 years, I built my own using a cool site that matches compatible components. I went with an ASRock MB, an AMD Ryzen CPU, a 1TB SSD main drive and a Corsair oversized PS. A Noctua CPU fan, and a Thor case with 6 or seven fans. I recycled a pair of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555 video cards and bought fresh versions of Windows and Office 2016 from CSPCart.

The site that matches components for you is:
https://www.logicalincrements.com/

If you like a component in a higher category, usually you can use it in your build. Everything's changed since my build in 2019, but I'm still very happy with it!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."