Re: Lets talk some games

Back to Fallout 4.

When I leveled to 30, I started the main quest line. I have 16 settlements. I will probably get to level 50 before finishing the game, which is unusual for me.

The only mod I'm using is the "scrap everything" mod, which has a side effect of providing almost an endless supply of the components for Jet. I'm like the Walther White of the Wasteland...

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I marched with liberty prime all the way to the institute and laid waste to it. They pissed me off from the start, all the resources and tech to help make the wasteland a better place, but no, it seemed like an underground country club and I hated it. Not to mention synth slavery, the whole compound had to be purged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bang wrote:
lurker wrote:nowadays, solitaire requires downloads. everything is commoditized.
It's super annoying. I'm thinking of writing Todd Howard a letter.
do it. i'm so disgusted, i may have bought my last computer game. and my last computer. they keep telling us we need to upgrade, but mostly it's just bloat.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

WinterbornArms wrote:I marched with liberty prime all the way to the institute and laid waste to it. They pissed me off from the start, all the resources and tech to help make the wasteland a better place, but no, it seemed like an underground country club and I hated it. Not to mention synth slavery, the whole compound had to be purged.

I finally finished fallout 4. I sided with the railroad and burned-down the Brotherhood's airship. screw those facists.

I am replaying one last time and will side with the minutemen. Apparently you get to destroy the Brotherhood with an artillery strike, which sounds pretty cool.

Then I'll play The Last of Us until LA Noire comes out around xmas. Hopefully that will last me until Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out next year. I bought the PS4 to play just those four games.

I am a little disappointed by Fallout 4. I like the game mechanics, but the main storyline is pretty weak once you get past the initial plot twist. Also, Fallouts are just better in the desert.

lurker wrote:i've not even seen FO4, maybe when it hits the bargain bin.

question: is the music any good? part of what made FO3 and new vegas work for me was the music.
I have to say, it's not as good as Vegas or FO3 for music. But you can download some great radio stations that have similar play lists. COLANRAD is a great one. The 50s era public service announcements are priceless.

senorgrand wrote:
WinterbornArms wrote:"With a six gun on his hip...."

Big Iron...classic!
"Atom Bomb Baby" is my favorite from 4. Love blowing up gunners in my heavily modified T-62 power armor (Atom Cats paint job) with that song playing.

I am on Steam as FoxMaverick42, feel free to add me. I have been playing through FarCry4 again but I have a pretty large library, ranging from FPS to Empire builders and Indie titles like Darkest Dungeon and Don't Starve.
Also an avid board game player and longtime table top gamer.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

Awesome! A computer gaming thread. I just joined LGC. I'm a gamer. In fact, I used to write game reviews for an online PC gaming magazine. I did that from 1998 to about 2007. What a fun ten years! Every month, I would receive gold masters direct from companies like Microsoft's Entertainment Division (they closed down years ago). My favorite games to review were flight simulators, civilian and military, racing simulations--usually only the hardcore racing sims like NASCAR Racing 2003 Season (still the best AI ever!), and the more realistic first-person, tactical combat simulations like the Rainbow Six series and the original Ghost Recon series. I even reviewed gaming peripherals like HOTAS systems, wheel and pedal systems, etc. I never paid for any of it, and got to keep everything I reviewed. But, alas, all good things seem to come to an end.

I've cut way back on gaming due to having less time as my corporate career took off. Now, as I near retirement some time later this year, the only computer games I'm playing earnestly are Lockheed Martin's P3D, v.3.4 flight simulation and the new Project Cars 2 racing sim. I have to admit, Project Cars 2 may be the best all around racing simulation EVER. I don't count games like iRacing which you can only do online. I haven't yet dipped into VR flight simming or VR race simming. I'm waiting for the next gen VR to come up to 4K standards. I do all my gaming now on one PC monitor but at beautiful 4K resolution with excellent frame rates, so I'm happy.

Any racing sim fans here?
"The last thing right-wing nuts, fascists and haters want is liberals owning guns and knowing how to use them." - Wise Liberal

I just got Resident Evil Revelations 2 for the PS4. I had wondered why, after the first one was so successful, they didn't put the sequel on the 3DS as well. This isn't really a sequel to the other one, if feels like a sequel to Resident Evil 6. I'm guessing this was probably supposed to be Resident Evil 7, but it wasn't good enough to get a main line numbering. I had a lot of fun with the first Revelations, but 6 less so. So I'm disappointed that this game doesn't match the pace and feel of Revelations, and even compared to 6 this feels like a step down, like 5 was from 4.

Also, it seems like (but I'm not sure yet) this game is broken up into chunks and they want you to buy the last 3/4 of the game after paying full price for the first quarter. I really hope that isn't true, because it will be a total rip off it that is the case.

Lately, my online gaming has been dominated by .... Dungeons and Dragons! Some friends and I use http://roll20.net to get together. It's a really neat system.

Besides, that though, I've recently started playing Skyrim again. I finished the main quest, and the Companions quests, so now I'm just going around doing a bunch of side quests and general exploration before heading off into Dawnguard.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

lurker wrote:i'm playing vanilla morrowind. no mods, no tribunal, no bloodmoon, nothing. fun game.
Morrowind is just about my favorite game of all time (toss up between it and Ultima VII Serpent Isle). But I'd never play Morrowind without at least some texture replacers. Get the right graphics mods installed and it becomes a stunningly beautiful game.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote:
lurker wrote:i'm playing vanilla morrowind. no mods, no tribunal, no bloodmoon, nothing. fun game.
Morrowind is just about my favorite game of all time (toss up between it and Ultima VII Serpent Isle). But I'd never play Morrowind without at least some texture replacers. Get the right graphics mods installed and it becomes a stunningly beautiful game.
i've got a ton of mods stashed on a thumb drive, better heads, better(nekkid)bodies, quests, armor, dagonfel well, nevena's twin lamps, ahnassi this, that and other, reptile inseparable siblings, you name it. i'd have to study the structure a bit to relearn how to install them, meanwhile it's a good thing in terms of gameplay. so far i haven't seen anything i've never seen before, but i have found things i'd forgotten. i like the other elder scrolls and fallout games, but i think morrowind is as good as any in terms of mechanics and head and shoulders above the rest in terms of story telling. so familiar and yet so alien, unlike oblivion and skyrim which look like western and northern europe.

one of the things i always thought was silly with the way bethesda has changed the game... 24 hour merchants. people apparently complained about the "lack of realism" of 24 hour merchants. here in the world of round the clock wal-mart, and you're complaining that it's not realistic in your fantasy world of daedra and dragons and magic? really? and crafting. ok, it's fun for a while to make potions and weapons and magic items, but i play to solve puzzles and kill bad things, not become a skilled craftsman. and then for some reason they change the mechanics. and the spells. what, the mages have forgotten how to levitate? i'm just waiting for the giant asteroid to hit and blow away most of the atmosphere and the oceans. this is mars (2 moons) in the distant past, right? maybe? ok, maybe not. :whistle:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I need to play Morrowind again, I never beat it the first time I played it.

But man, you just never, ever ever ran out of quests. I never saw the whole map, never went everywhere, and had dozens of quests started that I had no idea where I was going, who I needed to talk to, or what my objective was. There was always something new, someone new, and more to do. The only thing was it felt like there weren't enough weapons and armor. Pretty early on it seems like you find the best stuff in every class and weight, and you just have to stick with it, or pick something weaker that looks cooler.