Re: Car guys?

I used to be into Detroit iron and muscle cars back in the old brown shoe days. Then my ex-wife's parents bought us a 1976 used Toyota Corolla in 1984 and I never looked back. Until of course, my ex-wife's father died and we inherited his 1976 Plymouth Valiant with a slant six. While the engine was a mainstay of Chrysler for years the car overall was a heap of junk. When we inherited it the fuel tank was about to fall out because it was mounted right under the trunk which had rusted out. This was in New Jersey where they used Kosher Salt in the winter to melt road ice. Finally one of the torsion bars on the front broke from the rust (we lived in Vermont) By this time we were divorced and my ex was doing better financially so she bought a brand new Honda Civic. Then I inherited another New Jersey rust heap in about 1988, a 1978 Datsun F-10. One of the first front wheel drive production cars from Japan. After my divorce in 1994 and I moved back to Pennsylvania I never looked back at Detroit iron.

Today, I try not to look in the rear view mirror but since that might cause a crash I have to.

http://thebrownshoes.org/whence-term-brown-shoes

My brother's the car guy. Even has a lift in his house. He likes English cars and has a couple of old Jags.

My mom had a '67 red Pontiac LeMans convertible with a '69 400 cubic inch GTO engine. My all-time favorite car to drive. Naturally she sold it without offering it to either my or my brothers, especially the car guy.

I've owned a lot of cars, have a bunch now though I'm not a car guy--I can work on them but just hate it--too hard on my back. Current list:
2018 BMW 430i AWD clamshell--my wife's driver
2014 4x4 Chevy Silverado crew cab--best PU I've ever owned and my daily driver.
2007 BMW 335i clamshell 6 spd--my summer car
2003 Benz S500 4-Matic. Amazing family/luxury car but the audio electronics sucked and have been replaced. We just can't bear to part with it.
2003 Benz ML500 4-Matic. Family SUV. Good for dog crates. Taken a lot of abuse, but still running.
2001 Honda Stream...anybody know what this is?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I love cars, I just can't afford many of 'em because I had to put my daughters through college. I get the top car mags every month on my Kindle Fire. I switched from American brands (I was a big Chevy guy) to foreign after a Dodge Grand Caravan we owned in the early 90s completely seized after only about 60,000 miles. Oh yeah, and the engine caught fire by itself while parked inside the garage like something out of a Stephen King novel. So, I switched to Nissan, Acura and Lexus.

My current daily driver is a 2017 Jaguar F-Pace S-First Edition. Darn thing is gorgeous. 22 inch Pirelli P-Zero track tires from the factory. One of the first off the boat in May of 2016. My Pennsylvania dealer still hasn't gotten another one just like it. Best doggone driving vehicle I've ever owned, even better than my 2013 Lexus GS 350 Sport Sedan, and it is a SUV, Jaguar's first. Terrible gas mileage; outstanding performance. You can hit triple digits in two eye blinks.
"The last thing right-wing nuts, fascists and haters want is liberals owning guns and knowing how to use them." - Wise Liberal

Yes. While I don't have anything special myself I'm into the hobby and attend all the car shows I can. For me it's mostly about the mechanical aspect or the "what neat widgets does this one have." I do all my own mechanical work within reason and like helping friends with their vehicle projects. I currently have a buddy who is doing a full restoration on a 1968 Beetle and we're splitting that endeavor about 50/50.