Re: Coffee- Home Roasting

Wino wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:22 pm I'm still a novice, but that doesn't appear to have made it to second crack and I'd consider a light roast (subjective). I have generally started finish shortly after hearing second crack to about 30 sec. past. The Peaberry I did Saturday went well past second crack and stopped when it hit a machine gun staccato cracking. Degassing the oils have come to the surface and is a dark beauty to behold - looking forward to my first French Press of this batch.

As I've posted, I break my bulk 5 lb. into five separate vac'ed 1lb. batches as shown in photo. Then I measure 2/3rd. to 3/4 cup to air popper - anything less and it blows beans out and more causes popper to over heat - so that's my sweet spot. Again, outdoors cause it blows chaff all over the place. When it hits my desired shade, I dump and cool that batch down rapidly and repeat process until pound finished.

20220926_074657a.jpg

Not to get off topic, BUT I just pulled these sour dough challah loaves out of the oven a short time ago.

20220926_151523.jpg
Yes, I prefer lighter roasts and I don't do French Press. Still, I wonder if the air popper is too hot as there's a slight burnt taste, or if these Guatemala beans aren't as high-quality as some others. I won't know till the Air Fryer rotisserie basket arrives and I try it in there, with a controlled temp of 370°. I just put a big casserole dish under the spout of the air popper and all but a few stray bits of chaff land there. I quickly dumped it out put the hot beans in it to cool. The popcorn measuring cup/lid holds exactly 3oz of beans to that's easy.

And thanks to you et al for all the good advice.

Sour dough challah? Since challah is a sweet egg bread I'm curious (but not repelled) by what it tastes like made with sourdough (which I LOVE!).
Now that it's getting cooler I need to get my sourdough starter back on track, or start over. And I LIKE baking bread but my wife says it's too fattening.

Getting further off-topic, I'm a pretty good cook, but other than baking bread and making coffee, I don't actually enjoy cooking very often. But I like EATING good tasting food a whole lot, so when I was single and money was tight, if I wanted to eat tasty food I had to figure out how to make it. I've not tried a challah yet.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

My Presto popper has a top hole on cover chute directly over air chamber which has a measuring cup. Don't use the cup, but do use the hole to stir beans with wooden spoon handle and oven mitt, which helps remove chaff and not let beans stay dormant too long in heat stream. I have not noticed any 'burn' taste. As the beans roast, de-chaff and puff up to lighter density, I can slow down stirring as beans start to roll over on their own as if in a blender, top to bottom. No stirring initially and beans barely move except in center and I expect burn would happen. Roast per 3/4 cup takes about 3-5 min. and another 3-5 min. cooling down beans and removing additional chaff. As roasting progresses batch time is faster as chamber is hot, about .5 to 1.0 min less.

As for the sour dough challah - this was my third batch. It's as good if not better than my standard challah, albeit a bit heavier/dense, but still soft with a bit crustier outside. The major problem with sour dough challah is time - about 15+ hrs. start to finish for a batch due to over night levain and 2 hour bulk ferment, braiding, then 3-5 hour proofing, then 30-40 min. baking. But, it's worth it!! I've been told by my Jewish friends, my challah is the best they've ever had - as a goyim, I take that complement with pride. I'll be making them some for this week.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Yeah, with sour dough patience is a virtue--I'd LOVE to try some sometime!
(BTW, you're a "Goy"--"Goyim" is plural. But I HATE when a woman is called a "shicksa" which doesn't just mean "Non-Jewish woman" as people pretend. "Shicksa" is the feminine of "Shagetz" which is alternatively defined as "abomination" or "imp from Hell".)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Wino wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:25 am My Presto popper has a top hole on cover chute directly over air chamber which has a measuring cup. Don't use the cup, but do use the hole to stir beans with wooden spoon handle and oven mitt, which helps remove chaff and not let beans stay dormant too long in heat stream. I have not noticed any 'burn' taste. As the beans roast, de-chaff and puff up to lighter density, I can slow down stirring as beans start to roll over on their own as if in a blender, top to bottom. No stirring initially and beans barely move except in center and I expect burn would happen. Roast per 3/4 cup takes about 3-5 min. and another 3-5 min. cooling down beans and removing additional chaff. As roasting progresses batch time is faster as chamber is hot, about .5 to 1.0 min less.

As for the sour dough challah - this was my third batch. It's as good if not better than my standard challah, albeit a bit heavier/dense, but still soft with a bit crustier outside. The major problem with sour dough challah is time - about 15+ hrs. start to finish for a batch due to over night levain and 2 hour bulk ferment, braiding, then 3-5 hour proofing, then 30-40 min. baking. But, it's worth it!! I've been told by my Jewish friends, my challah is the best they've ever had - as a goyim, I take that complement with pride. I'll be making them some for this week.
I like dark roasts and I like my coffee strong. In a dark roast, the oils are darker and it tends to make the coffee stronger. I grind my beans at the store and use double paper filters to make the coffee weaker. But what I do to make my coffee stronger and darker is to roast my own beans. I have a Jura coffee machine that lets me do this, and it's amazing how much better my own coffee is. The best method is to roast the beans in a pan without oil and stir occasionally until you smell the coffee. I also like to try out different roasts to see which one I like the most.

I see what you did there!! Nice try, bot !! Jura a bit beyond what I'd pay for a coffee maker (checked without using your link - I don't click on nuthin' from a 'stranger'). LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Hmmmmm..........................deep fried coffee beans - batter dipped or plain is the question. LOL

Wino wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:52 am Hmmmmm..........................deep fried coffee beans - batter dipped or plain is the question. LOL
:roflmao:

I just got a rotisserie cage for our air-fryer. It seems to take a lot longer than the air popper--25 minutes at 400° vs 6 minutes in the air popper. The coffee is smoother, but are still lacking that certain something I'm looking for, a hint of both, I dunno, red wine and cocoa? But mixed with the Swing's Papua New Guinea is making a delicious blend.

My wife's biggest complaint is that the air fryer is still putting out a burnt plastic smell after 25 minutes at that temp. But when I tried it at 375° (ideal is supposedly 370°) it seemed like I'd be roasting for 45 minutes--or more.

Still, if I can roast my own and getting to Swing's or near Swing's quality, I'll save beaucoup bucks on the massive amounts of coffee we drink. So far, it's good, but not there yet.

Spent yesterday morning roasting one pound batches Maragogype (med. roast shortly after second crack);, Guatemala (med. dark about >30 sec. after 2nd crack; and last of Brazil Peaberry (Dark Roast/French similar to final crescendo of a fireworks display when cracking plus lots of smoke). Patio, table, benches covered with chaff - birds will have plenty to line nest for winter. This should carry me thru holidays. Also placed 5 lb orders for each Costa Rica Tarrazu; Ethiopia Yirgacheffe; and Guatemala Antigua. Vac packed roasted Maragogype in Mason Jars after degassing as this will be special occasion coffee during holiday season.
Was surprised my Presto popper made it thru all roasting without overheating delays. Being very anal, I may buy a spare Presto if I catch a seasonal sale on Prime - I'd hate to be half way thu a roast and popper craps out. LOL

For regular morning coffee, my Mr. Coffee drip 10-12 cups and my burr grinder is set to that amount (roughly heaped table spoon per cup). If I use my four cup drip or use a specialty blend (self mixed blend beans) I may use my small blade grinder/chopper 6-7 level table spoons of beans. If I feel in the mood for a stiff/strong coffee, I'll hand grind using an old mill set for coarse for my French press using beans French roasted (dark black/oily bean state). Don't really know measure as I just fill small feed cup with beans - I'd guess 8 table spoons beans. For Espresso I use my stove top pressure/steam antique Italian Nova Espress pot or my Salton Espresso machine - the latter two have markings for fill and I use pre-ground Bustelo Espresso coffee. I did have an old Cory vacuum brewer, but broke it and a smaller one I bought to replace, I also broke - I think vac made is super smooth coffee and in market for another. Percolated coffee I find bitter, so never replaced my old perc. Water is either bottled purified or PUR/Brita filtered. On occasion I'll cold brew in my French press. I prefer coffee I can taste, which doesn't always equal strong.

Just got 6# of green Brazilian coffee from the Prime Preview day for $40. Considering my beloved Swings is selling roasted Brazilian goes for $85 for 5# or....$6.67/lb+roasting vs $17/lb roasted....

But I still haven't gotten my roasting good enough.....

I tend to grind medium. I have a French press, quisinart drip for when I'm lazy and a cold brew thingamajob.
I like cold brewed overnight. If it's freezing out I like hot coffee with a splash of Irish Cream.
2 scoops per cup max. But mine is medium roast.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:25 pm I tend to grind medium. I have a French press, quisinart drip for when I'm lazy and a cold brew thingamajob.
I like cold brewed overnight. If it's freezing out I like hot coffee with a splash of Irish Cream.
2 scoops per cup max. But mine is medium roast.
Generally speaking, 1-2 tablespoons of ground coffee per 6 ounces of water – 1 tablespoon for lighter coffee and 2 for stronger coffee.
I use 1.5 tablespoons normally.
Most days I use my Espresso maker and have my coffee either as Espresso or my version of an Americano, with an occasional Capuchino or Latte.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

Dang!! My order placed 10/12 for 3 x 5lb green coffee thru Amazon/Smokin Beans was UPS delivered today direct from Smokin Beans. Didn't expect until next week sometime. Can't beat the service and, so far, their beans. :thumbup:

Did a couple of one pound roast this morning - both medium roast - Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and Costa Rica Terrazu. Both degassing. Nice pleasant weather morning, overcast mid 60's so no air popper over heating. Kitchen/house filled with aroma of roasted coffee.
Did order and receive a Cosori Model CO148-CM 8-cup pour over covfefe (sic) maker with SS fine mesh filter - no paper filter required. My first brew was Guatemalan Huehuetenango. Guessing didn't use enough coffee as it seemed weaker than I normally brew with drip. I don't expect it to last long - I have a tendency to break anything glass and this is a PITA to clean decanter (hand too large to get thru neck) and have been told to be careful using bottle brush with metal end/handle as can shatter. Do like the SS cone filter.
Came close to buying a vintage Cory vac/siphon coffee maker on eBay. May get a wild hair and still do it. LOL

Wino wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:36 am
Came close to buying a vintage Cory vac/siphon coffee maker on eBay. May get a wild hair and still do it. LOL
One of my Dad's sisters had one when I was a little kid; I was mesmerized by it as a five-year-old. I tried an electronic Vac/siphon that Bodum made for a short time, but the electronics didn't last very long, and they discontinued it for that reason soon after. Sometime after that I picked up a range top Bodum off Craigslist for about $20 it came with a chrome wire base that uses sterno as its heat source. But I've never tried it with sterno. They make a smooth cup of coffee.
"And so it goes"

Yes, I went thru two Yama units some years back - broke both. Made great coffee, but expensive (less so than Bodum tho appears no longer available). Same for glass French press, so finally just bought a solid SS press. I'm a klumsy Klutz when it comes to glass things which is why my 6/8 set drinking glasses now number 4 or 6 sets.

https://baharris.org/coffee/History.htm ... %20process.

My parents had a Cory and as I recall we had coffee delivered every so often and I think it was by Cory. Same for milk and ice for icebox, and Doctor's made house calls !! LOL

Wino wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:50 am My parents had a Cory and as I recall we had coffee delivered every so often and I think it was by Cory. Same for milk and ice for icebox, and Doctor's made house calls !! LOL
Same here, not only did we have a father & son-in-law milkmen that we got milk from for over 20yrs. that I know of; but I delivered milk for the son in law after he had a operation and was recuperating from it, while I was home from college.
"And so it goes"

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:46 pm
Wino wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:39 pm You're obviously not use the right oil!! LOL
Damn! And I thought 10-50 synthetic would be PERFECT!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/comment ... ery_james/

Interesting video. Think I'll skip frying. LOL

Two one pound roast this morn, both medium dark - Ethiopian Yirg and other Guatemalan Antigua. So far I'm truly impressed with Guat & Costa Rican coffees. Ethiopian is good but not near as good as the Central American - at least to my taste buds. This will be my first batch of Antigua. Doubt I will buy more of Brazilian Peaberry which was decent, but not great, all with different levels of roast, just never flavor popped for me. It did blend well with other ground beans when brewed.

Wino wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:05 am So far I'm truly impressed with Guat & Costa Rican coffees.
I once read a review of a particular Costa Rican coffee I was thinking about buying, where the reviewer faulted it for being too perfect and too balanced.
I think I bought 60 lbs.
"And so it goes"