Re: The bicycle thread

So now I've got the derailleurs and chain off and soaking, working on the cables and casings, and I noticed there is some play in the steering head.
I must admit I've never pulled apart a bicycle steering head--did a motorcycle years ago and it was a nightmare (as were the swing-arm bearings)--but I expect this to be much simpler--I doubt I'll be looking at tapered roller bearings.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:31 am So now I've got the derailleurs and chain off and soaking, working on the cables and casings, and I noticed there is some play in the steering head.
I must admit I've never pulled apart a bicycle steering head--did a motorcycle years ago and it was a nightmare (as were the swing-arm bearings)--but I expect this to be much simpler--I doubt I'll be looking at tapered roller bearings.
If that's the green Trek 820, I went back to your picture of it to make sure I was remembering the correct headset style.

It's a cup and cone set, and the ball bearings are most likely caged rather than loose (as in, "unless some fool put loose bearings in there").

This article on the Park Tools web site goes farther into things than you might want, but in case you want to repack the bearings (not a bad idea on a twenty-year-old bike):

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... et-service
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:31 am So now I've got the derailleurs and chain off and soaking, working on the cables and casings, and I noticed there is some play in the steering head.
If that's the green Trek 820, I went back to your picture of it to make sure I was remembering the correct headset style.

It's a cup and cone set, and the ball bearings are most likely caged rather than loose (as in, "unless some fool put loose bearings in there").

This article on the Park Tools web site goes farther into things than you might want, but in case you want to repack the bearings (not a bad idea on a twenty-year-old bike):

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... et-service
Thanks! Actually, it turned out to be one of the easiest bearings to work on. Caged bearings top and bottom, so far, the only ones on the bicycle...and I tipped the frame on the bike stand 90° so the head was level rather than vertical. Cleaned the races and cages, then fresh Belray grease. No play at all, turns easily.

Last big job is repacking the front wheel bearings, which are loose bearings of course. I'm hoping I won't need to true this wheel either (the back was acceptable).
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

Yeah, that type headset is pretty easy to service.

The newer "threadless" sets were a surprise to me twenty-two years ago, when I returned to the bike business after a couple decades away, but they are pretty easy as well.

The Park Tools site is a treasure trove of good information.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:19 pm
The newer "threadless" sets were a surprise to me twenty-two years ago, when I returned to the bike business after a couple decades away, but they are pretty easy as well.
Wow. I'll have to look at the newer bikes we have.

My wife is WONDERFULLY tolerant of have 3 bicycles in the front foyer! (two are hanging in the garage, and the 6th is the one I'm bringing back to life).