“A loaded shotgun in my pickup truck at school”: myth or fact?

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Re: “A loaded shotgun in my pickup truck at school”: myth or fact?

Post by Bisbee »

That is one heck-u-va story, Sig! Interesting how different the world was then vs now. We often forget how consensual our world is being stuck in our own frame of reference.
I can imagine the world back then, when a son of a man who fought in and survived war could be seen as a hero and that his weapon could be used as a teaching tool for many purposes. Weapons do generate gravity and should be respected. That respect can and should be passed on, not merely celebrated in absurd fiction nor denigrated and become scapegoat for the darkness within each us we can’t accept.
Today all this is lost in the swirl of people’s uptight ideas. There is no learning when folks don’t listen.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

wings
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by wings »

There were stories about kids with guns in lockers at my high school, but they never came up in the periodic locker checks. On the other hand, I probably have permanent hearing damage from the kid who fired the drama teacher's starter pistol in the auditorium. There was a teacher who used Entertech M16 and AK-47 squirt guns as hall passes, back before orange barrel tips were mandated for toy guns because police kept shooting kids.

We did cover archery, fencing, and hand-to-hand self defense in PE. Good times.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Elmo wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:50 pm
CDF, I had no idea your milsurp love went so far back!
It was my first, at age eight in 1961, a gift from my dad. We used to play Army with it. Still have it. And a bayo now, too. And some other stuff. :roflmao:

CDFingers
ImageImage
We can share what we got of yours
'cause we done shared all of mine.

rolandson
Site Admin

Post by rolandson »

Portland, Oregon. Gun racks with long guns in them were common throughout the 60's into the late 70's. And, nobody cared. Can't speak to the 50's, I wasn't really paying attention. I don't recall when it was that they disappeared...the long guns....still see the occasional rack but it's usually empty or has a fishing rod in it.
CDFingers wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:30 pm
Fall 1967, Miss Martier's World History class. We're studying WWI. "I've got a WWI rifle." "Bring it." Next day I brought my Austrian Mannlicher 8x50r carbine to her first period class, and she kept it for her other classes--mine was third period. Cute thing was, I was not old enough yet to drive, so I slung it over my shoulder and rode my bike to school, and back. Never got stopped. Why? Did not point gun at thing I did not want to destroy. Worked out.

CDFingers
I had a similar experience with a WW2 Arisaka while in high school, 1971-72. A rifle was needed for a play and I spoke up. Walked into the school with it the next morning. Nobody gave me a second glance.
good tea, nice house

JohnNewell
Grizzled Veteran

Post by JohnNewell »

I am now 64. I well remember kids at my high school in Cincinnati (hardly rural) having rifles and shotguns on their gun racks in their trucks.

VodoundaVinci
Chatty

Post by VodoundaVinci »

I graduated in 1974 and there we kids with cars in the parking lot with guns in them. Smae with my Wife who's schooling was rural...kids actually brought firearms for show and tell.

That era is gone, gone, gone.

VooDoo
We must, first and foremost, require that all members of the Executive, Legislative and Judicial branches abide by their oaths "to support and defend" our Constitution — under penalty of law!

RotaryMags
Helpful Contributor

Post by RotaryMags »

I spent a couple of my grade school years in rural MT. Mid-70-'s. School was K-12. Maybe 300 kids total. Maybe.
I did see trucks in the HS side with gun racks with M94s or .22s. Anti-'vermin' tools.
Usually just the family farm truck. Probably brought a brother or sister along too.
Locked? Probably not. Tiny town (back then).
John
"I'll have no Commies in my car...No Christians either!"