The bicycle thread

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

Re: The bicycle thread

#551 Post by aasoverteakettle » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:28 am

Sadly on my way home. Taking the day off, starting it off right.

My wife wants me to build her a sturdy townie cruiser like the one I ride. Im butchering a quote from Gary fisher in Klunkerz, something like: Building bikes back then was half technical ability, half dark art. So far, I have 2 huffys, a broken frame late 90s Specialized S-Works (all XTR :), a 29” fork and threaded-to-threadless conversion headset. More to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#552 Post by lurker » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:44 am

nice trail.
:hmmm:

wooglin
Been around awhile

#553 Post by wooglin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:59 am

aasoverteakettle wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:28 am
My wife wants me to build her a sturdy townie cruiser like the one I ride.
I've built a number of those over the years. This is the final iteration of my 1989 Stumpjumper.
Attachments
stumpcommute.jpg

Bullitt68
Verified Member
Verified Member

#554 Post by Bullitt68 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:07 am

lurker wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:42 am
Bullitt68 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:45 am
Here's one cyclist from some scandanavian county training here coming down the mountain.

https://youtu.be/nO_oOKE2PVg
i've seen that video, didn't know where it was. i've seen mt. lemon.. on the horizon. long time ago i spent a couple days in saguaro natl. forest.
There's lots of deer in the morning running around on the road.
We sit in the mud... and reach for the stars.
Ivan Turgenev

Prevent Suicides Call https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/t ... meone-now/

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

#555 Post by aasoverteakettle » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:35 am

wooglin wrote:
aasoverteakettle wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:28 am
My wife wants me to build her a sturdy townie cruiser like the one I ride.
I've built a number of those over the years. This is the final iteration of my 1989 Stumpjumper.
Old mountain bikes make the best cruisers!

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#556 Post by lurker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:49 am

this morning i rode violet down to the transportation museum, about a mile. the offices were closed, but the big buildings, maintenance shop and roundhouse, were open so i rode thru, gave myself the quick unguided tour, and looked at the buggys, trains, cars and airplanes. didn't see any bicycles, i'll look for them next time.
they're having an event this saturday, might try to go see.
https://nctrans.org/Events/Military.asp ... VJRJxaXcS8
:hmmm:

wooglin
Been around awhile

#557 Post by wooglin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:02 am

aasoverteakettle wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:35 am
Old mountain bikes make the best cruisers!

Made a nice singlespeed as well.
Attachments
sstumpy.jpg

bajajoaquin
Been around awhile

#558 Post by bajajoaquin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:09 am

I currently have five bikes: a tandem, a triple, two Schwann cruisers, and a bakfiets. Oh, six: an Atlas I was given from India. It’s not assembled yet, though.

Here’s the bakfeits from a ride to the hardware store and to check the surf on Saturday
21BB3B3E-50ED-4213-BF87-863865641060.jpeg

aasoverteakettle
Been around awhile

#559 Post by aasoverteakettle » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:16 am

bajajoaquin wrote:I currently have five bikes: a tandem, a triple, two Schwann cruisers, and a bakfiets. Oh, six: an Atlas I was given from India. It’s not assembled yet, though.

Here’s the bakfeits from a ride to the hardware store and to check the surf on Saturday
Yehuda Moon would be proud.

bajajoaquin
Been around awhile

#560 Post by bajajoaquin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:03 pm

aasoverteakettle wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:16 am
bajajoaquin wrote:I currently have five bikes: a tandem, a triple, two Schwann cruisers, and a bakfiets. Oh, six: an Atlas I was given from India. It’s not assembled yet, though.

Yehuda Moon would be proud.

I had never heard about Yehuda Moon before. I did a search and came across this comic:

http://yehudamoon.com/comic/2017-03-15/

I must be a member of the clergy. I love my dynohub.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#561 Post by YankeeTarheel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:41 pm

Today, I found on the street, 2 easily restorable bicycles. The first is an 18 speed Woman's off-road Trek. Other than flat tires it looks in good shape. Not high end--no suspension and cantilever brakes. I noticed the cotterless bottom bracket, quick-releases, and alloy cranks. It's possible that a tooth or two on the center front sprocket is worn or broken--didn't get a good look at it (or either bike).

The second is a 10 speed, probably from the '70's or '80's, a Concord (?) with alloy frame, Weinman Center pulls, a Dia-Comp steering head, quick-release skewers, and possibly alloy wheels. I didn't see the shifter / deraileur brands but I'm guessing Huret or Shimano.

I'll try and get pictures of the "before" bikes and then others as the rebuilds happen. Not sure where I'll go with them but they looked in too good condition to pass up.

Also a perfectly good 4 ' 6" aluminum step ladder. The owner pulled in and I asked if I could take the stuff. He said that's what it was on the street for. I didn't take a Craftsman gas blower--I mess with small engines enough, or a rusty sump pump.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." -- Dom Hélder Câmara

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#562 Post by YankeeTarheel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:11 pm

The Concord Frame: I was wrong, the brakes are not Weinman but Dia-Comps. The shifters and derailleurs are Shimano, as are the hubs and skewers.
ConcordBikeFrame.jpg
The wheels are alloy, not chromed steel.
ConcordWheels.jpg
The mountain bike also has Shimano derailleurs. Looks mostly like it needs new tubes, and everything cleaned, adjusted, and lubed.
TrekWomansBike.jpg
I can't believe they just threw these bikes out! Both need brake pads, but I've yet to assess whether the chains, sprockets, and cables are OK. The Trek's tires look good, but the Concord's look played. I'll also have to true the wheels, I expect. I expect the main investment in these two bicycles will be "sweat equity" but I may want to convert the Concord to 15 or even 18 or 21 speeds.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." -- Dom Hélder Câmara

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#563 Post by YankeeTarheel » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:36 pm

Ordered a set of Weinman rims from ebay, new brake pads from Amazon. This will be my first time completely reweaving wheels. 27x1.25" 36h wheels aren't that common anymore.

JohnNewell
Been around awhile

#564 Post by JohnNewell » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:21 am

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:36 pm
Ordered a set of Weinman rims from ebay, new brake pads from Amazon. This will be my first time completely reweaving wheels. 27x1.25" 36h wheels aren't that common anymore.
Jesus. I feel old. That was pretty much what we used to race on. Some of us might drop down the 32h and a few of us insisted on 40h rear wheels, but ...

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#565 Post by YankeeTarheel » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:22 am

JohnNewell wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:21 am
YankeeTarheel wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:36 pm
Jesus. I feel old. That was pretty much what we used to race on. Some of us might drop down the 32h and a few of us insisted on 40h rear wheels, but ...
Yeah. I bought my Peugeot UO-8 at the end of the summer of 1972, after working all summer in the Reader's Digest mail room earning money for college (imagine how much fun THAT was for a 17 year old!) I paid the awesome sum of $155 including toe clips and NYS sales tax. I found the Concord on the street a couple of weeks ago and about all I can see wrong are a bent Araya rim, rotted tires and tubes, and brake pads. I may well make it into my stationary exercise bike and break the Peugeot out of jail. Unless one of my sons wants it.