I wouldn't just ask this of any forum...

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

MayhemVI
Been around awhile

I wouldn't just ask this of any forum...

#1 Post by MayhemVI » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:52 pm

...so feel free to develop warm feelings toward me because of the trust I'm placing in you.

I need a recommendation for an electric rice cooker that's going to cook rice and not get on my nerves. My Wolfgang Puck rice cooker that I bought on HSN a few years ago got knocked off the counter by a cat. I got used to it but I kinda wasn't sorry to see it go. Instead of just properly cooking brown rice, I had to throw in a good bit of personal attention.

Anyway, rather than wade thru the Amazon reviews I thought I'd check in here. As Liberals, I think we can all agree that potatoes are the enemy and need Bloomberg to ban them so we, as a nation, can move on to a new dawn....or something. I'd be more coherent but I'm in the middle of renaming Thanksgiving (as a Soros paid troll, I'm going for that fat bonus).

What the hell were we talking about again? Oh yeah.

Who has a rice cooker that they love...and what is it?
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

SailDesign
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: I wouldn't just ask this of any forum...

#2 Post by SailDesign » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:29 pm

I use my medium-sized saucepan on the stove. Has yet to let me down apart from the time I knocked the knob a bit and the bottom layer burned a little. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

ImageImageImage

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#3 Post by Bucolic » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:40 pm

I’m a saucepan guy too but I just got an Instant Pot. Have not yet tried it for rice though. Cooking a chicken in it right now or I would try some rice.
Neverthless, she persisted.

Mason

#4 Post by Mason » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:53 pm

We have an AROMA brand 8 cup that gets used multiple times a week for at least three but maybe five years now. Brown rice takes much longer than white but comes out fine. It has four buttons white, brown, steam, warm. They all do what they say.
"You can not consume happiness."
-Melissa G.

Stiff
Loquacious

#5 Post by Stiff » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:37 pm

If you want a rice cooker, get one from Japan. They take rice very seriously, so their rice cooker is not gonna disappoint. You can’t go wrong with a Zojirushi, a 101-year old company.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by YankeeTarheel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:51 pm

We have a Mueller pressure cooker...can saute, cook's rice, and can even slow-cook. But if you just want a rice cooker, lots work well, but the zojirushi is probably the best.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." -- Mark Twain
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by lurker » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:53 pm

didn't spock get his ears caught in one of those? no wait, that was a rice picker.
:wacko:

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#8 Post by YankeeTarheel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:59 pm

lurker wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:53 pm
didn't spock get his ears caught in one of those? no wait, that was a rice picker.
No. that was just Kirk making up bullshit nobody would EVER believe, just like Trump.
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#9 Post by lurker » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:06 pm

you mean.. he wasn't chinese?
:wacko:

JaxTeller
Grizzled Veteran

#10 Post by JaxTeller » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:24 pm

Have an Aroma brand that we received as a wedding gift 8 years ago. Gets used a few times a month - and works great. I am partial to the Basmati (what I grew up with in India) and the cooker does a great job with it.

Tempted to upgrade to the "Instant Pot" or whatever, when this one eventually dies.

shinzen
Site Admin

#11 Post by shinzen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:50 pm

I'd go for the instant pot personally. Use ours for rice every week (sometimes a couple times a week) and it works great. Had a rice cooker that we got rid of because of it as it is less of a single purpose tool in the kitchen.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#12 Post by K9s » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:54 pm

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:51 pm
We have a Mueller pressure cooker...can saute, cook's rice, and can even slow-cook. But if you just want a rice cooker, lots work well, but the zojirushi is probably the best.
Agreed.

It really depends on how often you would use it. If every day, get a Japanese rice cooker or the best you can afford. If once in a while, just use a pan. It is simple and easy. I make rice often but never needed the extra room for a rice cooker (separate appliance frees up room on the stove when cooking but why?). YMMV

I hear Instapot is good. I use the stove w/saucepan method and have never had a problem.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

#13 Post by YankeeTarheel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Families who use "tons" of rice need a good rice cooker, because they can make a lot more rice easily than the saucepan method. I've been making rice in a saucepan so long my wife is always stunned I do it so easily. She's an excellent cook, but has a mental block against making rice. But you don't have to spend a fortune on a Zojirushi to get excellent results. It's just the best.

I don't believe the Instapot comes with a slow-cooker / rice-cooker lid--that's an aftermarket accessory. The Mueller comes with it.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#14 Post by K9s » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:37 pm

Zojirushi is priced lower than almost any firearm on the market. It isn't terribly expensive, especially if you can get a lot of use out of it.

I have no idea which model is best, but they are sold in nearly every store and online.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

LaptopCoffee
Verified Member
Verified Member

#15 Post by LaptopCoffee » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:34 pm

We got an Aroma 20 cup rice cooker a couple years ago. It worked really well, but just after we got it my husband was diagnosed with diabetes and we cut out a lot of carbs, so it wasn't used for rice much. It did, however, do an excellent job making steamed hard boiled eggs that peel really easily.

Ended up giving it to one of his coworkers who could use it more.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#16 Post by K9s » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:00 pm

I don't know where you live, MayhemVI, but we have a large population of Asian immigrants here. If I were serious, I would ask around at a couple of H Marts. It really depends on how often you will use it and how much you think you should spend.

JohnNewell
Been around awhile

#17 Post by JohnNewell » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:48 pm

We have a couple of these in red and black. Several people sell them under different names. Simple and cheap. https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Removab ... 78&sr=8-16

Brownrasta
Verified Member
Verified Member

#18 Post by Brownrasta » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:12 am

JaxTeller wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:24 pm
Have an Aroma brand that we received as a wedding gift 8 years ago. Gets used a few times a month - and works great. I am partial to the Basmati (what I grew up with in India) and the cooker does a great job with it.

Tempted to upgrade to the "Instant Pot" or whatever, when this one eventually dies.
Do tell us more. I was born and raised in South India.
:drunklep: Everything is better with beer and comrades. :drunklep:

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#19 Post by K9s » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:44 am

The thought of just having one type of rice to choose from.... sounds like a red state. :lol:

spara
Verified Member
Verified Member

#20 Post by spara » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:55 am

Zojirushi.

I grew up eating rice pretty much everyday and my parents used a rice pot they bought at an Asian store for years. I bought something similar and it worked just fine. However, when we moved back to Texas we replaced a bunch of appliances including the rice cooker with a Zojirushi. It makes rice, oatmeal, quinoa and a bunch of other grains. We've had it for 10 years so far and it's still going strong.

SpaceRanger42
Verified Member
Verified Member

#21 Post by SpaceRanger42 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:27 pm

Yar, find your nearest large Asian Market and look over the brands that have built in fuzzy logic. Spara has the right of it about that brand too.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.
Yes, I haz a moose. :D

Wino
Loquacious

#22 Post by Wino » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD - Mine is an older model I've had for several years. Works great. Also have an Instant Pot which I use when making larger qty. of rice. It works great, too. I eat a lot of rice - Balsamic my favorite - both make a great lime and cilantro rice.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

#23 Post by Bisbee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:24 pm

I’m Chinese descent, grew up eating rice and using rice cookers. Japan invented the rice cooker and they still make the best, most expensive models. But all modern rice cookers from China, Korea, Taiwan (if they still make them there) should serve your needs. Zojirushi is the famous Japanese brand but many of their export models are likely made in China.

Toss some models you are looking at and we’ll give you our two-cents on them.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

#24 Post by K9s » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:04 pm

Bisbee wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:24 pm
I’m Chinese descent, grew up eating rice and using rice cookers. Japan invented the rice cooker and they still make the best, most expensive models. But all modern rice cookers from China, Korea, Taiwan (if they still make them there) should serve your needs. Zojirushi is the famous Japanese brand but many of their export models are likely made in China.

Toss some models you are looking at and we’ll give you our two-cents on them.
Good points.