Flintlock build

I don't know how many of y'all are into this. I started building my second flintlock "kit" about a month ago. It's based on an Isaac Haines style rifle from the Lancaster, PA region in about the 1770's or so.

The term "kit" is a little generous for these things, as it's more like a box of raw parts for the most part. The stock is about 90% pre-shaped but with a fair amount of inletting left for the hardware and lots of excess wood to remove to get to the slender, graceful lines these old longrifles are known for. This one has a Chambers Deluxe Siler lock, 38" Rice B-weight .50 swamped barrel, and double-set triggers. I'll be doing steel/iron hardware in a curly maple stock.

Admittedly, that wasn't really a thing back in the 1700's. Brass was the common standard for gun hardware, and iron didn't really become common til the early 1800's in the Appalachian south. But if you're familiar with Herschel House and the Woodbury style, I'm going for something like that. It'll be more of a contemporary style inspired by the Colonial era. That makes it sound kinda pretentious and like I'm more artistic than I'm actually able to execute, but it's the best way I can describe what I'm after. We'll see how it turns out. Most of the hardware is inlet now, and it's time to start slimming the stock and closing gaps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Re: Flintlock build

Looks like fun. Really really excellent and telling pic with the tap and the cutting oil on the fingers, the scuffed nail. So familiar. Stock wood looks like it has juicy markings.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Flintlock build

I built a similar one of these in about '09 for my Dad, from one of Jim Chambers' kits. At the time, I had only ever used power tools, so I knew almost nothing about proper use of chisels, inletting, carving, and so forth. It came out ok-ish, and he loves it, but I still cringe a little when I see some of my mistakes.

This one certainly is coming along better. Several years of building guitars and learning more about hand tools during the quarantine period has really helped.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk