Re: Traditions Revolver Kits?

I've messed with those kits quite a bit. They are fine. If you take your time with the inlay of the works into the stock, they look real nice, brass and pine tar all contrasty and so on. They shoot fine. If you like to do stuff with your hands, great. Not, but have money, Pietta. Fun city either way.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I've done a few of their kits. Only slightly cheaper than an assembled gun. They're worth it for the pleasure of DIY, but not to save money. I don't think I've seen a revolver kit.

ETA: I just realized you may be talking about the kits that have the flask, bullet starter, etc. with an assembled revolver. Yes, those are a good way to get in. You could also get just a percussion cap muzzle loader pistol and buy a different accessories kit separately.

bajajoaquin wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:45 pm Yes, the completed pistol with the other accessories.

If I went with a pistol and just bought accessories, which are recommended?
I'm looking through and it actually looks like the Army or Navy sets would be your best bet. I would however recommend getting a Kentucky pistol as well. They're on the lower cost end but they're a good way to dip your toe in the water for older tech. I.e. not a revolver.

if you are going to get into BP from the ground up, get a kit. Its going to give you the basics of what you need to start shooting. If you get into it and like it then you can start upgrading your tools/supplies. Pietta is a great repro company. I own 2 1851 confederate 44s and my dad has 2 1860 44 armys and we love shooting them. its cheap to get into. we even mold our own bullets so it makes it even cheaper.

CDFingers wrote:I've messed with those kits quite a bit. They are fine. If you take your time with the inlay of the works into the stock, they look real nice, brass and pine tar all contrasty and so on. They shoot fine. If you like to do stuff with your hands, great. Not, but have money, Pietta. Fun city either way.

CDFingers
I was considering a Traditions when looking at a BP revolver, but went with the 1851 Navy Pietta. Much better quality and built like a tank. I got mine for about 3 Bills. Careful of the rabbit hole of accoutrements required to run and maintain it. Once you do get a reserve of powder, lead shot, and cleaning supplies it is stupid cheap to shoot.
LGC Texas - Vice President