Nice article on a muzzle loader competition

I enjoyed this article in Popular Mechanics on a muzzle loader competition on a Vermont farm.

No politics, just companionship and competition and the joy of shooting.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/adventu ... dium=email

Question for you muzzleloaders: On a muzzleloading rifle, how do you avoid screwing up the rifling (and the crown) with the steel ramrod?
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Re: Nice article on a muzzle loader competition

Elmo wrote:I enjoyed this article in Popular Mechanics on a muzzle loader competition on a Vermont farm.

No politics, just companionship and competition and the joy of shooting.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/adventu ... dium=email

Question for you muzzleloaders: On a muzzleloading rifle, how do you avoid screwing up the rifling (and the crown) with the steel ramrod?
the ramming end of the ramrod centers on the bullet, and you can guide it at the muzzle with your finger tips. they make a metal guide to center the rod in the bore at the muzzle, but that's time-consuming. if you're in a real hurry to load you're not thinking about accuracy 1,000 rounds from now.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

You can get a nice ramrod made out of fiberglass and brass. Looks like wood from a distance. Also works as a cleaning rod for shotguns,
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

What a lovely heart warming story. That's the way I would like to shoot with friends.
Interesting! I just spent the afternoon at Fort Boonesborough. Some mighty purdy flintlocks there.
Last edited by Hiker on Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

lurker wrote:after all this ramrod discussion, i came back to read the story. worth every second.
I figured you'ed like the article, these are people who share a fascination with history. Some of the gunsmiths refuse to even use any modern tools when making their rifles.

"I love the smell of black powder in the morning, it smells like.........history".